cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple accounts - increment ports ?

Owain
Dabbler

Multiple accounts - increment ports ?

I know if I have multiple phones on the same network behind a router I'm supposed to increment port numbers on each one, so that phone A is using port 5060 and phone B is using port 5061 (for example)
If I have multiple accounts (eg Plusnet and Sipgate) on the same phone can all the accounts share the same port?
Also, is "extension" the same as SIP Number (eg I can set up a BLF key to show whether an extension is in use) or does that need a IP-PBX rather than a 'single line' VoIP service?
10 REPLIES
Simon_M
Grafter

Re: Multiple accounts - increment ports ?

I have multiple accounts on the same eyeBeam client & I've never had to specify ports. I'm slightly unusual in that I'm behind an Intertex router that is very SIP aware, so probably have to do less than most, but I have colleagues behind standard routers who have at least two accounts registered without the need to specify anything.
On a single line VoIP service, extension, account & SIP address are synonymous. Extension & SIP address would always be synonymous, but an account could have multiple extensions allocated to it. Plusnet don't offer such accounts though, although it is possible to get a half-way house, whereby what are effectively two separate single line accounts are allocated to your account.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

If I have multiple accounts (eg Plusnet and Sipgate) on the same phone can all the accounts share the same port?

If you are using an Outbound Proxy or have a SIP aware router ( one with a decent SIP ALG ) then you shouldn't need to use different ports for multiple phones/accounts. Its only necessary if you use STUN or manual port forwarding.
Owain
Dabbler

I shall be using Ye Olde BT Voyager 2091 router and thought that STUN would be the answer to so many problems! So I might have to increment the ports.
The extensions/account makes sense - I suppose I can't monitor as an 'extension' an account that isn't mine? But I'll find that out when the phone arrives and I get to play with it.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Owain
I suppose I can't monitor as an 'extension' an account that isn't mine?

You can if you know the login details.
Of course, for it to be useful for your purpose, it also follows that the owner isn't trying to use it as well.  Smiley
Actually, you don't even need to know the login details. All you need to do is ask the owner to setup your email address as the destination for voicemail messages.
Owain
Dabbler

I'm not sure why I'd want someone else's voicemails. I suppose if I was going to be answering someone else's calls (virtual receptionist sort of thing) I'd have their account details. But then my phone would ring on their incoming calls (if the SIP provider supports multiple end-points - does Plusnet?) but I wouldn't necessarily be able to see if their phone was busy and avoid interrupting them.
Simon_M
Grafter

No - that's not what I meant. When you asked if you could monitor as an extension an account that wasn't yours, I thought that you might have a friend who had a free account that they weren't using. Then you could put that account as the number to forward to when you sent to voicemail. Clearly it's no good if they are using it too.
I must have misunderstood what you meant.
Edit:- really sorry Owain - I've got confused between two different threads - so introduced voicemail here as a complete red herring. Ignore everything I've said.
I'll go & hide.  Embarrassed Lips are sealed

Simon_M
Grafter

Ok, I've gone back & re-read what you actually asked. If I've got it right this time, I think you want to know if you can see if another 'extension' (or SIP address, account, whatever) is busy.
If I have got the question right this time, then the theoretical answer is yes, provided the phones at both ends support 'Presence'. Unfortunately, not many service providers support passing that information through their servers.
Gradwell, who provide the back end to the Plusnet service, do offer it, but only on their multi-user accounts & only between extensions on the same account. I very much doubt that Plusnet have any plans to offer it in the foreseeable future.
Owain
Dabbler

"Presence" on multi-user accounts, within the same account, makes sense. It does seem to be something that has to be paid for.
puddy
Grafter

I know if I have multiple phones on the same network behind a router I'm supposed to increment port numbers on each one, so that phone A is using port 5060 and phone B is using port 5061 (for example)
If I have multiple accounts (eg Plusnet and Sipgate) on the same phone they can all the accounts share the same port ?

I found it depends on the equipment you use but yes you can use the same ports as MisterW said
My grandstream devices force me to change sip port i.e plusnet line 1 =5060 but when i try to enter the same for sipgate i am forced to use sip port=5062 for line 2 orbtalk sip port=5064 for line 3
I have 2 Grandstream devices  gxv3005 & gxp2000, but my gigaset device share the same ports 5060 same with the nokia's.
Going back to using plusnet &sipgate,  I have been having problems getting sipgate to work, sipgate  even sent me a sms setting to my nokia E65 and it still wont register.  It wont work on my Nokia E65 Grandstream GXV3005 Grandstream GXP2000 or my Nokia N900 but will work on my  Nokia N95 and n900
I also use Orbtalk on my grandstream & Nokia's devices but when i get an incoming call it logs off on my new nokia n900.   Orbtalk works without any problems on my Grandstream and Nokia e65  and N95
Also, is "extension" the same as SIP Number (eg I can set up a BLF key to show whether an extension is in use) or does that need a IP-PBX rather than a 'single line' VoIP service?

Yes
I can use plusnet voip and orbtalk without any problems so the failure could be down to sipgate and not your setup, you could try to get a orbtalk payg account instead its free and come with a free std code of your choice and outbound port is 5065
Which phone are you using?
Puddy
Owain
Dabbler

I will be using a Yealink T28 when it arrives, just setting up the accounts in advance.