cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Phone Hardware!

AndyBa
Grafter

More Phone Hardware!

I've been trying to upgrade my VOIP hardware, from my Speedtouch 780wl, for a while. So far I’ve had two “unlocked” PAP2’s from ebay (China) both have failed!
Now looking at a Grandstream HandyTone 286, or 496, or possibly the new HT-502.
Knowing of the initial compatibility problems I had with my 780wl following the Plustalk upgrade (I’m still on lon-pbx-12.gradwell.net) is there anything to be wary of with any of the Gradwell products?
Alternatively I could look at the Zoom adapters 5800 / 5801 / 5821, or even the ZyXEL Prestige 2002, but that’s probably getting a bit expensive!
Just need something reliable (not like the PAP2) that works with Plus Net and Draytel straight out of the box (not like my 780wl)
Yes I know of Draytek and their VOIP routers. Bombproof as I use them for business customers, but not as good as other routers for long / difficult lines, which I’m on. A Draytek will give a reliable but slower speed, but I can live with the faster speeds, and perhaps more variable connection that a Speedtouch or BT2700HGV give.
My aim is to separate VOIP from my router.
Prefer Grandstream to Zoom , but would like to hear from others please.
Thanks in advance.
Andy
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: More Phone Hardware!

The Grandstream HT-502 is not that cheap is it , about £40 ?
If you are looking for separate voip hardware have you considered the Siemens DECT IP phones , you can get a C475IP from about £75.
Supports up to six voip accounts + PSTN , answerphone and works  a treat with Plusnet. 
puddy
Grafter

I think your speedtouch 780 needs to be on a white list with gradwell.  I know this router cause some problems.
I have a speedtouch 716wl and have had no problems with it and it only cost me about £6.50 inc p&p.
If you want to separate VoIP from your router look at the Siemens range of ip dect cordless phones  i.e. C450 460 470 475 ip  (it must end its model number with ip)and other models
I use a Siemens C460 ip dect phone its cordless you can add up to 5 extra handsets .  Dont go for the C460 you can only have one voip account
To make a call via landline dial the number and release the call button it make a normal call.  If you want to make a VoIP call you dial the number hold the call button for 3 seconds release it it makes a VoIP call.  If you add the additional handsets you can make 1 land line call and up to 5 VoIP calls if the spare handsets are not in use Phone  cost about £65 plus £40 per slave handset. 
They are easy to setup you need a spare port on your router and a BT line for ordinary calls.  Unlike most dect phone the handsets does not have to be near the base station.
If you have a nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB and N96 you can make and receive VoIP calls on them but some network providers take out the sip settings (vodaphone orange) but debranding the phone puts the settings back in again.  02 3 don’t block/remove these settings.
If you can access any unsecured network you can make and receive VoIP calls.  The Nokia phones start from as little as £50 for the E65 sim free or try and get a free be with a contract . My phone was free but I only pay £13 a month and at the end of 12 months I get all my line rental charges back.
If you want to go with a mobile try and stay with your current provider until your contract is 11 months old (12 month contract) and push them for the phone you want and ask them if they have any clearance phones (customer returns) you may get a better deal  Really push them. I wait until the day of disconnection to get the best deal..  I have never paid for a mobile in the last 8 years  They want you to stay
Puddy
ps siemans ip dect phone can make free calls to other siemens dect ip phones users
AndyBa
Grafter

Thanks folks.
I wasn’t aware of the C475IP, and it looks good kit. If I was starting from scratch, without an abundance of POTS kit, then I’d probably go for it.
But with my setup where I need to access both PlusTalk and Draytel, sometimes simultaneously by two people (two C475IP handsets?), I’ll stick with an adapter for the time being.
So it’s a 286 and a 502 from soho66.co.uk to play with. They seem to be about the cheapest.
Watch this space.
Rgds
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

But with my setup where I need to access both PlusTalk and Draytel, sometimes simultaneously by two people (two C475IP handsets?),

For information the C475 with multiple handsets can cope with that. You can have up to 6 voip services registered and the system will allow a PSTN call and up to 2 voip calls simultaneously. You can specify which hansdets ring for each source ( i.e voip service & PSTN ) plus you can transfer calls between handsets.
You can also specify dial plans to determine which service is used for which numbers, for example I have mine set during the week so that 01,02 & 03 calls go via PlusNet voip so that I use my 120 mins but other calls go via BT, whereas at the weekend its set to  default all calls to BT ( free Weekend calls on option 1 ).
All in all its a great piece of kit but not cheap.
puddy
Grafter

As Ian said the siemens ip dect range of phones would be suitable for you if you wish to make more than 1 call at the same time
Plus they are very easy to setup
I use mine every day of the week
puddy