cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lynksys PAP2-NA Adapter

Whiskerpuss
Grafter

Lynksys PAP2-NA Adapter

I'm totally new to all this, so bear with me.
The Lynksys pap2 adapters all seem to be about £32-£35 each, I've seen some on Ebay brand new for £9.99.
Are these safe to buy? The listings say unlocked and I think the sellers are Hong Kong (bought stuff from HK before with no problems).
Any advice gratefully received.
The reason I want an adapter is cos on the sjphone I keep getting cut off or else sometimes the person I call can't hear me, and I have to keep going into sound settings and fiddling around til it works again.
And, when I get this adapater can I use any landline type phone for the broadband phone, and is it ok to plug the landline phone into it, it's a wireless phone so the base has built in answer machine etc in it.
Sorry I'm no geek, so can you reply in simple terms as if you're talking to an idiot (cos you are lol).
Cheers.
4 REPLIES
johpal
Grafter

Re: Lynksys PAP2-NA Adapter

I'm no techie either! At the risk of being censored for advertising, I bought my unit at BroadBand Stuff (29.81). You also need a converter for the  RJ11 to BT connector (so you can plug an ordinary corded, or cordless 'phone into it), available from the same website. Mine was already configured for all UK ringtones, etc. After configuring it for the Broadband Phone connection, it worked first time. Buying from abroad, you *MAY* end up with a unit that gives you "foreign" tones; these can be adjusted, but it looks just too much bother. Also, look out for the postage costs on those Ebay sites.
Caveat Emptor
puddy
Grafter

I get mine from ebay and have never had a problem I must have brought at least 30 over the past year. 

Only go for one priced lower than £16.  Mine all come from HongKong so it is safe to do a deal with them. 
I buy them up for £16 each or less including postage, I then sell them at xmas on ebay when everybody wants £30 for them plus they are then based in the UK.
The reason they are unlocked is because linksys made most of the PAP-2 for a company called vonage.  Bit like some mobile phones are locked to the network i.e orange t-mobile phones. So these devices were free if you signed up to a vonage network and they made money back by locking you in for 12-18 months.
Somebody found a way to unlock them, be careful you get one that states unlocked forever, otherwise if you do a full factory re-set it could re-lock itself to the vonage network.  This goes from any company selling the linksys pap-2 including those sold in the UK
I have never had a problem or had any returned by my customers.
Puddy
johpal
Grafter

@puddy
Thanks for the interesting information (it's one of those things that will be squirrelled away somewhere in my brain, probably forever, but never used again).
puddy
Grafter

If you want an easier cheaper way get a speedtouch 716wl v5 router from ebay I got one for less than £3 with postage came up to £11 off ebay digi-dave sells them.
You get 4 ports, wireless and 2 built in voip ports and speedtouch is an excellent make made by thomson. speedtouch is the retail name for home users.  Plusnet use to sell them so any problems will be easily solved.  its also adsl 2+ compatable so is future proof.  This is not a cheapo £9.99 router in quality terms.
I use one at home and had no problems in over 12 months use
puddy