cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Idiot's Guide to setting up PlusNet VOIP

loungehake
Dabbler

Looking for Idiot's Guide to setting up PlusNet VOIP

I am a certificated idiot.  I need a step by step guide to setting up VOIP under the auspices of PlusNet.  In particular, I need to know what port forwarding requirements or other router configuration tweaks, if any, need to be done.
I would be grateful if someone would point me to this information.  Thanks.
7 REPLIES
aclayton
Dabbler

Re: Looking for Idiot's Guide to setting up PlusNet VOIP

Hi,
In most cases you shouldn't need to set-up port forwarding or tinker with anything in your router. The setup guide for SJPhone is easy to follow and should be enough to get you started:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband_phone/setup/
loungehake
Dabbler

Thank you for taking the trouble for me with your post, Andrew.  I am reading the information right now.
Smiley
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: loungehake
I am a certificated idiot. 
I would be grateful if someone would point me to this information.  Thanks.

We all started from the beginning
Have you thought about using software or hardware for making voip calls?
Do you have a nokia mobile phone some can make voip calls? 
What the make and model of your router?
What sort/package are you on with plusnet?
Software is free but you need to keep your computer on to make and receive calls
Hardware can be purchased from £15+ but you don’t need to keep your computer to make and receive calls  just your router
We need to know what account you are on with plusnet then we can see how many free minutes you get but sip to sip calls are free
If you are thinking of changing your router you can buy a router like the speedtouch 716wl or 780wl model this router has 2 voip ports which you can connect 2 BT phone to price from about £8 on eBay its asdl2+ 4 ports and wireless
If you do have a nokia E65 E66 E71 N81 N82 N85 N95 N95(8gb) 6300i mobile you may be able set it up to make plusnet voip calls depending which service provider it comes from i.e. 02 3hg orange vodaphone etc
Plusnet voip service is like getting a free BT landline you choose which std code you want 01/020 it not Skype or Skype compatible
They’re a lot to choose from and plenty of help on this forum should you need it
Puddy
Buggwrit
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
Hardware can be purchased from £15+ but you don’t need to keep your computer to make and receive calls  just your router

I was going to start a thread about this but this comment appears to be the issue of interest for me. I would like to be able to use my VOIP service without needing to have the computer running. I have the D-Link DSL 2640B wireless 4-port router which does not have VOIP ports. Can I purchase an adaptor to connect a standard handset to one of its Ethernet ports? If so what setup, if any, would be needed.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

@Buggwrit.
Take a look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70943.0.html
Hope that helps
Buggwrit
Grafter

Many thanks for that link. I'm on a learning curve with this technology so I've downloaded the Grandstream User Manual for a little light reading.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

so I've downloaded the Grandstream User Manual for a little light reading

Always a good idea, as we engineers say ' If all else fails, RTFM!!'. Reading it first is a much better idea...