cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linksys PAP2/Netgear 834 help

LFaulkner
Dabbler

Linksys PAP2/Netgear 834 help

I've just bought a PAP2.  I thought I'd entered all the right parameters but the phone is dead (should there be a dialling tone when the phone is conected to the PAP2 but not the router?) and, on the Linksys configuration screen the Registration state is "Can't connect to login server".
On the PAP2 I have: 
Display name = my Plusnet login name
UserID & Auth ID = number given in voip trial email
Password = password given in voip trial email
Proxy = sip2.plus.net
Outbound proxy = nat.plus.net:5082

On the router I have:
Enabled ports 3478, 5060-1, 5082, 16384-16482
For the Lan server IP address I've used the router's ip address (192.168.0.1) because the PAP2 is dynamically allocated an IP address (currently 192.168.0.4).  Is this right?
Also, the ethernet and power lights are on, on the PAP2.
Any help would be gratefully received.
8 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Linksys PAP2/Netgear 834 help needed please

You will only get a dial tone if the PAP has registered on the VOIP system. Have you got the Line 1 or Line 2 LEDs on.
I would advise using a static IP for the PAP2 and use port forwarding on the Netgear for 5060-1 to this IP.
The static IP have to be out of the DHCP range of the Netgear and on the PAP2 disable the DHCP and enter the IP which you wish to use. The gateway IP address will be the router IP. If you take a note of the DNS and gatework IP's before disabling the DHCP and enter these when you change to static.
LFaulkner
Dabbler

I changed the IP to a static one (192.168.0.100), as recommended, but  still got the message "Can't connect to login server".
I re-read your message where you said the IP address should be out of the router's range (192.168.0.0-255), so I tried 192.168.1.100.  Now I can't access the PAP2 at all!
Help!
itsme
Grafter

You are on a different subnet so will be able to acces the PAP2.  You need to do a factory rest on the PAP2.
You can reset your PAP2 to factory default values by following the steps below.
Resetting the PAP2
Step 1:
Unplug the Ethernet cable connected to the PAP2.
Step 2:
Access voice menu by pressing (****) on the analog phone attached to the PAP2 and press option 73738#.
Step 3:
Login with "user" when accessing http://PAP2-ip-address, and login with "admin" when accessing http://SPA-PAP2-ip-address/admin/
NOTE: Resetting your unit will erase all the configuration settings. If your PAP2 is provisioned by service provider, you won't be able to do this since this reset function might also be protected by password when provisioned.

Once you are back to this you should be able the set the DHCP range on the Netgear router , so set it to 192.168.0.0-99. You can then have the PAP2 running on 192.168.0.100. The set the port forwarding on the netgear for 5060-5061 to this IP.
LFaulkner
Dabbler

OK, I've got back into the PAP2.  I couldn't do it with the phone because it's completely dead.  I did it by temporarily resetting the range of the router.
I wonder if my PAP2 is faulty?  With the router connected to it both power and ethernet light up (not the phone ones though).  If I disconnect the router cable the power light flashes one long blink followed by two short ones, then repeats.  On the Vonage website it says this means it is updating the firmware, but I'm sure it's not.  It's version 3.1.22(LS) by the way.
itsme
Grafter

No I think your PAP2 is OK, if I unplug the ethernet on mine the power light flashes as you described. The phone willl not have dial tone until the PAP2 has registered and the line LED is on. You should still be able to dial to the PAP2 to configure using the phone.
Setup the router for port forwarding and the PAP2 for the static ip and re-enter the PN settings and see if it will register.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: LFaulkner
  On the Vonage website it says this means it is updating the firmware, but I'm sure it's not.  It's version 3.1.22(LS) by the way.

Be very careful resetting your pap2 adapter  If you came by this adapter via ebay or other means not legal.
If this adapter is an old vonage stolen pap2 adapter it may re-set itself and relock to the vonage network and become useless to you so try not to do a full reset.  Contact the person who sold it to you to find where it came from if you have problems

puddy
Bit like mobile phones are locked on some UK networks (3)
LFaulkner
Dabbler

I reset the PAP2 using ****73738# (it is a NA version bought from Hong Kong and I made sure that "provision enable" was off, so I didn't think it would get locked to a network) and re-entered all the settings.  But the registration state was still "Can't connect to login server".
Then I tried switching DHCP back on and it suddenly worked!  I don't understand why as my router firewall is only letting the ports through for the fixed IP address, which the PAP2 isn't using now.
LFaulkner
Dabbler

I've managed to get a fixed IP address for the PAP2 by allocating it in the router (Netgear 834) and leaving the PAP2 with DHCP enabled.
I still don't understand why it also worked with no open ports on the router though.