Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just can't get my PAP2 to work again...

snj
Grafter

Just can't get my PAP2 to work again...

Hello,
I've tried on and off over the months to get my PAP2 working with my Option 2 VOIP account.  I've had some degree of success but it's never worked properly and consistently.  I tried again today and it's still not working, and I'm having difficulty finding the correct settings that I should be using (I had hoped for a sticky post in the forum to have the latest details...)
The settings I'm currently using are:
SIP Port: 5060
proxy: sip.plus.net
outbound proxy: natproxy.plus.net:5082
The username and password that I'm using seem to be correct because the PAP2 status indicates that it has logged in, and the Plusnet VOIP control panel also shows me as logged in, although it shows a Gradwell IP address of 79.135.125.160 rather than my home IP address).
The problems I'm seeing are the following:
After the PAP2 connects, calls to the VOIP number go straight to voicemail.
I can usually make a successful outbound call, although the dial-tone is constantly broken - and the PAP2 status page indicates that a message is waiting when there isn't one.  I've tried leaving a new message and going through the menu options to listen to the message and delete it to see if that clears the indicator but it won't.  Perhaps something needs clearing here?
After making a successful outbound call, *sometimes* I can now receive inbound calls, although it is pot luck as to whether I'll be able to hear or be heard.
Oddly, I also have another Gradwell Single Line account that has worked pretty much flawlessly for the last few months using the same PAP2 adapter, although I've disabled that line while trying to get the Plusnet VOIP account to work.  Ideally, since the PAP2 supports two accounts, I'd like to be able to have them both set up on the same device, although I'm not sure what values to use for the SIP Port setting on the PAP2.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm quite used to fiddling with this sort of thing but I've just no idea why this won't work.  I also have a handful of friends/family/clients who use Plusnet and who are asking more and more about VOIP, so I'd really like to get it to work before I recommend it to them.
Simon.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Just can't get my PAP2 to work again...

Have you got the
NAT Keep Alive Enable
setting on the PAP2 set to Yes ?
snj
Grafter

No I don't.  Should I?  The settings that I use for the other Gradwell VOIP account doesn't have that set and it's working fine.  I'll try later, thanks for the advice.
Community Veteran

Yep, you should have it enabled and with the Keep alive timer < the NAT timeout value on your router.
snj
Grafter

Unfortunately it seems to make no difference.  Incoming calls ring but there's no incoming or outgoing voice.
If I make an outbound call from the Plusnet VOIP phone, for example to the 160 echo test service, and then hang up, inbound calls then sometimes work.
(The message waiting tone is sorted, that was a Message Waiting setting under the User2 tab which needed flipping to No)
I'm giving up for the evening(!)
snj
Grafter

This morning it's much the same.  After switching the adapter on the phone rings when called but no sound inbound or outbound.
I was able to make a ten minute call to another landline without any problems (although the quality is definitely worse than the Gradwell Single Line account that I have)
One thing, even after a ten minute call, my Plusnet voip control panel still doesn't show my ATA logged in.
Anyone from Plusnet or Gradwell able to suggest anything...?
Community Veteran

One thing, even after a ten minute call, my Plusnet voip control panel still doesn't show my ATA logged in.

That's probably significant. It should show it online within a few minutes of it registering..
Does it ever show it online ?
I thoght in your first post it was showing online ?
snj
Grafter

It's showing online now, it just took a while - probably about fifteen minutes. One thing surprised me though, the IP address displayed in the control panel isn't mine, it seems to be a Gradwell one (whereas when I connect using my other Gradwell VOIOP account it shows my home IP address).
The full status from the control panel is:
Status 79.135.125.160, expires at 2008-11-14 16:52:49, logged into v-sip-1
SIP Device Linksys/PAP2-3.1.22(LS)
SIP Server sip2.plus.net:5060
the sip2.plus.net seems a bit odd, since I'm not using sip2 in my PAP2 settings. Is that significant?
Another thing, I was originally a part of the new broadband phone trial, I don't know if that would suggest there's anything difference about my account that needs tweaking?
Community Veteran

If you are going via the outbound proxy then that may be the IP seen for the registration, although I did recall someone else posting that it showed his IP and ( via <outbound proxy IP> ). I cant say really cos I dont use the outbound proxy.
Dont worry about the sip2 , thats normal!, mine shows that all the time.
I was part of the trial and didnt have to do anything with my account.
I think we maybe need Rich ( from Plusnet ) to come in here now and advise , or maybe Puddy since I know he's got a PAP2...
Community Veteran

One possible thing to try...
I always understood that if you used an outbound proxy you didnt need to forward any ports on your router,
the communication with the proxy kept any NAT ports open.
However your lack of audio is typical of a NAT traversal issue.
Try forwarding  the RTP ports on your router.
Here https://portal.gradwell.net/support.php/knowledgebase/view/category_id/9/article_id/159 is the Gradwell guide for NAT issues which details the various ports
puddy
Grafter

UK Settings for Linksys PAP2 Device

Line Enable:  yes
sip port :5060 try 5062 for line 2
proxy :sip.plus.net                  Register: Yes
Make Call Without Reg: No       Register Expires: 3600
Ans Call Without Reg  :  No
Display Name: sip  id number    User ID: sip id number
Password: sip password           Use Auth ID: Yes
Auth ID: sip id number
Audio Configuration
Preferred Codec:G7LLu            Silence Supp Enable: no
Use Pref Codec Only:No           FAX CED Detect Enable:No
DTMF Tx Method: INFO
Line 1  Advance Settings
Proxy and Registration 
Outbound Proxy:natproxy.plus.net.:5082
save settings
United Kingdom Regional Settings
Dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)
Ring back: 400@-20,450@-20;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/2/1+2)
Busy tone: 400@-20;10(.375/.375/1)
Reorder tone: 400@-20;10(*/0/1)
SIT 1 tone: 950@-16,1400@-16,1800@-16;20(.330/0/1,.330/0/2,.330/0/3,0/1/0)
MWI dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(.75/.75/1+2)
CWT1 cadence: 30(.1/2)
CWT2 cadence: 30(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/5)
CWT frequency: 400@-10
Ring 1 cadence: 60(.4/.2,.4/2)
Ring 2 cadence (BT Call Sign): 60(1/2)
Ring 3 cadence (BT Ring Back): 60(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/1.75)
Ring 4 cadence: 60(.4/ .8)
Ring 5 cadence: 60(2/4)
Time Zone: GMT
FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF
Caller ID Method: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
Daylight Saving Rule: start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:
UK dial plan
this will change problems when dialing number
( *x. | **x. | 0xxx xxx xxx. | 186 xxx xxxx | [1-8]xx | [1-8]xxx | [1-9]xx xxxx | 00 xxxxx x. | 141 0 x. | 1470 0 x. )
Some PAP2 adapters lately are counterfeit even the US government brought some linksys counterfeit products
I hope you get it working, let me know if you have any problems?

puddy
snj
Grafter

Thank you for the suggestions, however I think I have (finally) tracked it down to a problem with the VOIP account.  I enabled Broadband Phone on another Plusnet account that I look after and used the login details from that account - all I did was change the username and password on the PAP2 - and bingo, it's all working.  If I switch to using my username and password then it stops working.
Can someone look at my account to try find out what's wrong?  Let me know who to PM the details to...

Regards,
Simon.