cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial silence when other person answers

AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

Initial silence when other person answers

I've had this problem since the change of platform, so I don't think it's hardware related.
When I make an outgoing call, I hear the other phone ringing, but when the other person answers, there is a gap of 2 seconds or so in which I can't hear them. After that, it works fine.
I don't think the other person can hear me either, though that's harder to test.
I'm using a Siemens Gigaset C460IP.
Thanks for any help
Andrew
44 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Initial silence when other person answers

I have the same phone and have the same problem

puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

Hi folks, i've got a possible solution to your problems.
Please try the following - try dialing one of the following prefixes before the full numbe your trying to dial.
The prefixes:
**620 (followed by the full number)
**610 (followed by the full number)
Dont drop any digits from the front after the prefix. This will route your calls over one of Gradwell's network partners and you'll be able to ascertain whether its your device or the network which is to fault here.
Let me know how you get on!
cheers
Rich
AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

Rich
Phil in support sent me the same info. Works perfectly. He's now working to apply the new routing all the time.
As an aside, just what do these settings do?
Thanks
Andrew
Community Veteran

Exactly as Rich explains... it causes the call to be routed over Gladwells IP network rather than the normal PN one.
Its called carrier pre-selection where you can select the carrier to router the call over. It's often used on normal voice calls when you sign up for a cheap calls service, you put in a code before the dialled number which BT see and route the call over the relevant companies systems.
puddy
Grafter

will we get a permanent fix so I don’t have to remember what to put in before I dial the number?
puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

yep, Gradwell are currently working on a more permenant fix but they can simply add the prefix to your account so all calls are routed through the partner network as default without you having to enter the details on each call.
If you find that your call quality is better with the prefix then raise a ticket and we'll get that processed for you.
cheers
Rich
yozza

Hi, I also have the Siemens Gigaset C460IP which worked fine prior to the change in VOIP service, now I have a 5 second gap before both ends can hold a conversation. Only happens with the Siemens phone, XLite and sjphone work without a problem.
Have tried the fix by prepending the string to the dialled numbers over IP but when I do this I don't get any connection, just a "Not Available" on the display and a three tone sequence for the headset.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
puddy
Grafter

cannot make call starting **610  keep getting voip status code 404
Puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

have you tried setting the prefix in your dial plan instead? Also, i know that **620 has worked for others so might be worth concentrating your efforts on that prefix.
puddy
Grafter

Got both working now
puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

puddy - please raise a ticket requesting to have **620 as your permenant prefix and we'll ensure that changes are made at a database level to allow you to dial as you normally do but still have all your calls routed through the alternate network.
cheers
Rich
puddy
Grafter

Ticket raised

Puddy
=jillweekes account
puddy
Grafter

raised ticket andthis has still not be sorted out the reply I got is

"I am placing this on hold for further update from our supplier"

I thought this would have been easy to sort out
Puddy
=jillweekes account
RichSmol
Grafter

it does require a database config change so your request may take a little longer than expected to complete. At least once it is complete you'll have things working again  Cool