Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming voice really choppy

Chimpy

Incoming voice really choppy

Hi,
Not sure if any one can shed any light on this problem:
My broadband phone line used to work really well but I had an incoming call the other day where I was unable to hear the incoming voice because it was 'chopped' up. When I tested the line using a radio for one half of the conversation I discovered that the outgoing voice quality is fine but the incoming quality was really poor. This was tested using a land line and a mobile with the call being initiated from each direction. ie braodband phone and landline/mobile.
My set up is:
Router - Netgear DG834G v4 firmware V5.01.14
Voip setup - Linksys PAP2T firmware 3.1.15(LS)
Any help to fix this would much appreciated.
Thanks Chimpy
16 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: Incoming voice really choppy

Hi Chimpy,
You should raise this as a fault with your voice supplier.
If we supply your telephone service you'll need to raise a fault with our Home Phone Faults Team.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

James this is broadband phone, not a landline!
Phil
James
Grafter

Er, sorry!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

What's the downstream speed  on your ADSL connection ? and is there anything else running on any PC which might be downloading at the same time e.g P2P ?
RichSmol
Grafter

It does sound like a bandwidth issue. I'd also have a play with the codec your using - g711 and g729 are probably the lowest bandwith intensive codecs so you'll be able to work out whether its a bandwidth problem pretty quickly.
Chimpy

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions.
My speeds are: (according to the router)
DownStream Connection Speed 2336 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
The only other thing that is using the BB conection is the radio connected at 64kbps. But it does not make any difference if it is stopped. The phone is not running through the PC, so it is not a limitaion of that.
How can I try the other codecs using the PAP2, ie can you advise which setting I need to change?
Thanks
Community Veteran

How can I try the other codecs using the PAP2, ie can you advise which setting I need to change?

I'm not familiar with the PAP2 but maybe this http://www.inphonex.com/support/linksys-pap2-configuration.php will help.
You need to change the 'preferred codec' to either g711 or g729 as Rich suggests and see if it makes any difference.
That download speed is not too good but should really be sufficient.
Given that speed I guess your line is pretty long , have you any idea what the error counts are like ?
Maybe errors are causing issues but I would have thought you would have noticed similar problems on the radio ?
Community Veteran

@Chimpy, I had exactly the same problem with SJPhone but when I switched to X-Lite the problem disappeared. I'm now using a Siemens Gigaset handset again with no problems. This shows that there can be differences between different software/hardware configurations.
Have you tried using a softphone (such as X-Lite)? If your problem goes away then it would rule out an issue with your connection.
Bob
Chimpy

MisterW - Thanks for the link very helpful for setting up the PAPT2, I wish I had found that link earlier.

The other points -
the outgoing voice is fine connected at 448kbps but the incoming voice has the problem connected at 2336 kbps so not sure it is the connection speed, though I will try the other codec to check.
Also it used to be fine both ways until recently, not sure exactly when it went wrong.
I have fring on my mobile so can give that ago.
Community Veteran

the outgoing voice is fine connected at 448kbps but the incoming voice has the problem connected at 2336 kbps so not sure it is the connection speed, though I will try the other codec to check.

Yes, I can see how you would think that It can't be a problem. The difference with upstream is that there is normally very little traffic from other connected devices ( such as PC's etc ) to interfere with the voip traffic. With downstream, however, there is quite often plenty of other traffic e.g software updates , P2P etc and then there's also exchange contention to factor in. Given that your PAP2 is behind a router, which probably has no concept of QOS ( or if it does it doesnt implement it properly ), then the voip trafiic just has to compete with all the others and you sometimes get dropped packets, delays etc which can cause the symptoms you are experiencing.
As Bob suggested , try a Softphone such as X-Lite. If that has similar problems then its down to connection or network problems, if it works ok then it points towards a problem with the PAP2.
Hope that helps
Ian

Chimpy

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions. I think this may be resolved.  Smiley
I don't use the Internet phone all that much so it was difficult to establish exactly when the fault started to occur. Last night I remembered updating the firmware on my router (a week or so ago) so this morning I tried rolling back to the previous version and the phone now works fine.
Thanks for the advice and support.
Chimpy
Community Veteran

so this morning I tried rolling back to the previous version and the phone now works fine.

Can you post with the firmware version you have rolled back to please.
That way we have the info available in case other users have similar problems.
Chimpy

Hi,
Sure;
Hardware Netgear DG834G v4
The firmware version is now V5.01.09
The PAP2 is running 3.1.15(LS) - this has never been changed.
I realise that this is a BB phone forum but I have a feeling that this version of firmware has also effected my PS3. I will confirm this later.
Cheers
Chimpy
Community Veteran

I have found the latest firmware for the netgear DG834G V4 causes the very issues you are seeing, so I downgraded mine to an older firmware and was able to use VOIP again without the choppy audio.