cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls don't happen

SIMPLYes

Incoming calls don't happen

I can dial out and connect successfully and far more reliably than the earlier system.  I cannot, however, get incoming to work.  If I dial the local geographic number given me, I get a message indicating that the person at 7xxxxx is not available and an offer to connect to the voicemail.  The number is correct as my number.  Why will it not connect?  Can the problem  be to do with router firewall?
17 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Incoming calls don't happen

how do you connect to voip?
Do you user a router or do you use a software program?  Does you phone ring on incoming call?
What settings are you using?
Puddy
itsme
Grafter

I have a similar problem which I don't know whether it's related.
If I dial using my geographical number using Skype I go to Voicemail. If I dial using SIP (a Sipgate account) I go to voicemail. No problem if I use a PSTN phone (BT account) it rings normally.
Also I can't seem to dial out using SIP. I have a POTS connected to PAP2 and after dialling ** I get an equipment engage tone. Thought that I might be the * not being transmitted correctly but I can use *1 okay to acces voicemail. Have anyone been able to dial SIP use ** followed by the shortcode etc?
RichSmol
Grafter

SIMPLYes - please can you advise which equipment you are using to connect to the service with? i.e. Softphone, hardware plus the version of each and the settings you are using please.
-As well as answering puddy's questions - have you tried any other geographic number? We have seen a couple of issues whereby the geographic number has been configured incorrectly on the BT switch resulting in dead tones.
A bit of a no brainer for both itsme & SIMPLYes but im guessing that you are not trying to call your geographic number on the trial account from your Skype account or other sip provider account on the same PC using the same port? Otherwise that wont work!
itsme
Grafter

No different ports but I will try from a different connection. What about SIP peering? Not able to dial the short codes after the second * get an equipment engage tone.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: RichSmol
A bit of a no brainer for both itsme & SIMPLYes but im guessing that you are not trying to call your geographic number on the trial account from your Skype account or other sip provider account on the same PC using the same port? Otherwise that wont work!

Reading this again I have no problems with establishing a connection dialling the geographical numbers in either direction from PN to Sipgate or Sipgate to PN. What I have a problem with is using SIP peering using Sipgate to PN. The call go straight to the voicemail. The same happen when using Skype. I believe the problem is with Gradwell SIP peering.
RichSmol
Grafter

I'd also ensure that your alternate provider is accepting traffic through that alternate port. Most ISPs usually have a default port for the service which they can monitor - for PlusNet we can tag any alternate port as VoIP traffic and have it prioritised over the network (provided you can prove that the port is used as a default port for your VoIP provider).
SIP peering is a funny one at the moment - i've got a few of the named peers to work apart from FWD, PlusNet (from Gradwell account) and VoIP talk. All others seem to work ok for me. There is a problem raised on this so it is being looked at.
Can you state which peers you are having problems with and state the prefix of the number you are dialling plus the type of number you are calling? (e.g. enum, geo (01/02) number or SIP account).
For instance, the peering for SIPgate is setup in such a way that you have to dial
**<prefix>44<attached geo number minus the '0'>
itsme
Grafter

I can't get pass the second * as I get an equipment engage tone.
RichSmol
Grafter

could you advise which PAP2 device you are using plus version number and firmware version as well. I'll raise a case for this.
itsme
Grafter

Product Name: PAP2-NA
Hardware Version: 0.03.4
Firmware Version: 3.1.3(LS) 
RichSmol
Grafter

Please could you PM me your username and i'll raise a case with Gradwell. cheers
RichSmol
Grafter

itsme - heres what you need to do:
You need to change your Dialplan on the PAP2 - the supplied Linksys dialplan will not allow you to dial "**"
A suitable dialplan is listed below - this is the dialplan that a Gradwell engineer uses on his own SPA941 at home ;
( *x. | **x. | 0xxx xxx xxx. | 186 xxx xxxx | [1-8]xx | [1-8]xxx | [1-9]xx xxxx | 00 xxxxx x. | 141 0 x. | 1470 0 x. )
Explanation:
*x. Any star code
**x. Any double star code
0xxx xxx xxx. Any UK PSTN number
186 xxx xxxx 186 VM access (takes you to voicemail for given extension)
[1-8]xx 3 digit short code
[1-8]xxx 4 digit short code
[1-9]xx xxxx 7 digit extension
00 xxxxx x. International number
141 0 x. Withhold CLI on PSTN call
1470 0 x. Present CLI on PSTN call
itsme
Grafter

Thanks Rich the new dialling plan worked.
Regarding SIP peering from Sipgate to Gradwell when I dial the short code followed by the SIP ID the call go straight to voicemail. If I dial the short call followed by the full international number for my Gradwell VOIP the call is establish.
SailingBy

I also have a similar problem.
I can dial out Ok. But incoming calls do not ring and after a while I get the Voicemail and I can leave a message.
Sometime afterwards my Voip Phone gives a bleep and flashes up that I have a message waiting. Which shows that  Plus Beta VOIP can send signals to my phone.
The VOIP phone repeats the Bleep every so often (and presumably will continue until I clear the voice mail)
I also get email notification of the message.
For testing I called from my 'normal' BT Line.
The VOIP equipment has worked correctly on VOIPUser, VOIPBuster and a few others.
My router is a Zoom x5v (PlusNet's VOIP does not work with the built in VOIP, which is currently set for Sipgate)
My ATA is a PAP2 UV which is unlocked. Line 1 is set for the Plus Beta VOIP. Line 2 for VOIPUser
It shows Plus Beta VOIP is on line and has messages waiting. I have not yet modified the DialPlan to retrieve messages.
Preferred Codec is G711u. Sip port is 5061.
Any ideas welcome

RichSmol
Grafter

Sounds like a firewall/NAT issue to me. Could you please list your devices settings and we'll wade through them and see what we can find thats out of place.
cheers.