cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I setup Broadband Phone using a normal handset?

ruthwhiteyoga
Dabbler

How do I setup Broadband Phone using a normal handset?

Total newbie here.
I want to use a normal telephone handset for Plusnet Broadband phone, and reading the literature it says I can when using an ATA.  I think I have one of these (borrowed from work where the phones go through a digital network).
I have downloaded SJphones and all it seems to want me to do is use the speakers and microphone (which I don't have) to set up.  How do I tell SJphones that I have a normal telephone handset instead?Huh
Please help..... thanks
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: How do I setup Broadband Phone using a normal handset?

How do I tell SJphones that I have a normal telephone handset instead?Huh

You don't!. If you want to use a normal telephone handset using an ATA then you don't need SjPhone ( or any other softphone ) or even the computer on at all.
You plug the handset into the ATA and configure the ATA to connect to your PlusNet voip account.
Now I'm not sure whether what you are describing
I think I have one of these (borrowed from work where the phones go through a digital network).
is actually a voip ATA, have you got any more details ?
petermaughan
Grafter

Hi,
You might consider getting a VoIP adapter from Gradwell, if you have already got a standard phone to use.  See:
http://store.gradwell.com/adapters/pap2t
Otherwise, if you don't already have a phone, you could consider buying an adapter / phone combination such as the Seimens Gigaset S685
http://store.gradwell.com/cordless/s685

Both of these options would plug into your existing router with an Ethernet cable.
I think the adapter you borrowed from work might not be suitable for VoIP.
Peter
puddy
Grafter

@ruthwhiteyoga
Did you manage to get your voip ata to work or do you need anymore help?
Puddy
ruthwhiteyoga
Dabbler

Thanks for your replies, sorry I've not got back here sooner - trying to organise the office move is proving harder than we thought!
I have now got a Linksys PAPT2 ATA and plugged it in and still no joy.  Huh
According to the Linksys instructions once everything is plugged it it should work but I have got no green light for the phone - arghh.  Going to go back and try and find where the instructions are on Plusnet.... I may be some time.
Community Veteran

ruthwhiteyoga
Dabbler

Thanks Mister W. 
However my biggest issue atm is that there is no green light lit when the phone is plugged into hone1 socket.  The Linksys troubleshooting doesn't lit ths as a potential problem.  I have tried 2 handsets that work on a normal landline s I know it isn't the phones that are the problem.
I have now printed off the linksys pdf from your link and the forum posts.  When I get hme I will see what happens.  FIners crossed it will work Wink
Community Veteran

However my biggest issue atm is that there is no green light lit when the phone is plugged into hone1 socket

The light won't go green just because you plug a phone in. It will only light once the PAP2 is successfully registeered with the PlusNet voip service. Check your settings against Puddys in the thread I linked to. Double check your sip id & password are correct since that is a major reason for failing to register.
ruthwhiteyoga
Dabbler

That's what I was thinking was the problem - it would be useful if the Linksys troubleshooting guide said exactly what you have written! 
wisty
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

One other thing to make sure of:- that the cable connecting the handset to the ATA has the correct wiring. I use a Thompson 716 router as an ATA, and to connect a regular UK handset to the RJ11 on the back I ended up making up a new cable (pins 2 & 5 on the phone RJ11 to pins 3 & 4 on the router RJ11 if I remember correctly). All the RJ11 to RJ11 cables I had seemed to be straight through (US Modem to US RJ11). I think US phones use pins 3&4 as standard, but BT (and certified?) handsets use 2 & 5.
puddy
Grafter

Dont forget your account manager login password is not the same as your phone password.
You need to setup your phones/ata voip password after you have logged in to your account manager  ---  account manager web address is
https://voip.plus.net/login/
Kind regards
Puddy
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: wisty
One other thing to make sure of:- that the cable connecting the handset to the ATA has the correct wiring. I use a Thompson 716 router as an ATA, and to connect a regular UK handset to the RJ11 on the back I ended up making up a new cable (pins 2 & 5 on the phone RJ11 to pins 3 & 4 on the router RJ11 if I remember correctly). All the RJ11 to RJ11 cables I had seemed to be straight through (US Modem to US RJ11). I think US phones use pins 3&4 as standard, but BT (and certified?) handsets use 2 & 5.

Believe that your problem was more likely the cable you use was for a US Robotics modem.  The telephone end of the cable will always use the centre 2 pins of the RJ11 plug but unfortunately modems from different manufacturers did not always follow this. I have used RJ11 to RJ11 all over the world without any problems, this included the USA. You are correct BT use 2 and 5 on a BT431 socket (which is 5 and 2 on a plug) but these will go to the centre pins of a RJ11 when a BT to RJ11 adapter is used.
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Itsme, you are correct about the 3 & 4 to 3 & 4 convention (which is the US standard). But wrong about the "telephone end of the cable will always use the centre 2 pins of the RJ11 plug". Not necessarily in the UK.
I have two UK handsets on my desk. One a fairly recent BT Branded Converse 2025, and the other  is a BT certified unit bought in 2002. Both use pins 2 & 5 in the  RJ11 socket for the line cord. Both work fine with the supplied  RJ11 -  BT431 line cord if plugged into a regular phone socket.
However the Speedtouch 716 has an RJ11 socket for the handset to connect to and conforms to US (3 & 4) standards so I needed an RJ11 - RJ11.  All the RJ11 - RJ11 cords I had were  wired as you expect 3 & 4 to 3 & 4 nothing worked. So eventually I had to make up a cable that swapped the 3 & 4 and 5 & 2 pairs. That works.
I seem to remember that in the days of BT's monopoly their approval of a handset was conditional on  the phone using 2 & 5 if it had an RJ11 line cord socket - something to do with stopping nasty foreign  phones being used on their nice shiny network!!! But I can't lay hands ( or Google) on the appropriate specification at this moment)
I was simply suggesting that the OP checked that the RJ11 socket on the phone handset he wanted to use was actually wired to the right pins on the ATA. In my experience using a standard modem RJ11- RJ11 cable to connect a UK handset to aan ATA that conforms to US standards  may not work.
itsme
Grafter

After you rewired the Converse 2025 can I assume that it's now a single line phone and not a 2 line phone?
I have never came across a single line phone using any but the 2 centre pins on a RJ11
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: itsme
After you rewired the Converse 2025 can I assume that it's now a single line phone and not a 2 line phone?
I have never came across a single line phone using any but the 2 centre pins on a RJ11

Nope. The Converse is still a  two line phone. It has two separate RJ11's on the back one for each line and both use pins 2 & 5.
from http://www.gbnet.net/net/uk-telecom/p3-1.html
"It is clear from the answers given by uk.telecom readers that there IS NOT ONE UNIQUE STANDARD. The two situations most likely to be met in practice are these
* The middle pair of the RJ11 (pins 3,4) carries the phone line. The line cord must connect that pair to pins 2 and 5 of the BT socket. This would also be the situation with equipment brought from the USA.
* The line cord between the RJ11 and the BT plug is a straight cord. In this case, the manufacturer has arranged to put the line onto pins 2 and 5 of the RJ11. It follows that UK models of this type of equipment necessarily differ from the US models (in the USA, it is standard to use pins 3,4 of the RJ11 for the phone line).
Some contributors asserted that one specific arrangement was ALWAYS used. But on the evidence, they must be mistaken. Some contributors say that the first is more common, while others have more often met the second: so one can only guess what the statistics are. "
I still seem to remember that the 2 & 5 standard was BT's proprietary standard that all approved devices had to comply with in the days of their monopoly and it carried forward into the BS approval process after privatisation.