cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I activate broadband phone?

driveconsultant
Grafter

How do I activate broadband phone?

I feel really stupid asking a question like this, but the FAQs don't seem to make much sense. They say:
To do this go to Account Details in the Member Centre and select ‘Activate Broadband Phone’.
You'll be sent full details on how to complete the activation process will be sent to your registered email address.

Apart from that last sentence making no sense whatsoever, there is no section called ‘Activate Broadband Phone’. There is one called Broadband Phone but that asks for an email address and I don't know what that should be. My 'Account Status' page says Broadband Phone 120 Active, but it can't be because I have never activated it or used it.
What am I doing wrong?
27 REPLIES
driveconsultant
Grafter

Re: How do I activate broadband phone?

Hmmm, no progress with this - looks like I'll have to open a call with PN Support.
RichSmol
Grafter

Copied from your ticket:
It seems that the portal currently shows that you have an active Broadband Phone account but you clearly havent. Please can you let me know what area code you would like as your outbound number and I or another member of the support team can create this account for you manually.
cheers
Rich
deadkenny
Grafter

I have the same situation. I guess probably because I had the old PlusTalk PAYG service in the past.
Just interested in trying the new service out really on a PAYG basis.
As for the outbound number. It says somewhere about losing it if you don't make 2 minutes of calls a month. Are these any calls or only billable calls, and if you lose it can you still make "internet" calls (VoIP only)?
RichSmol
Grafter

sorry for not getting back to you on this....
You'll need to make or receive a call to any break out number (not a sip number) to maintain the account.
The 2 mins inbound and outbound only really counts for PAYG accounts at the moment. We will be introducing a new process soon which puts the account temporarily out of service, then quarantines it (but keeps your account details quarantined as well) then a stage later removes the account. The process hasnt been properly ratified yet so watch this space, in the meantime this only applies to PAYG accounts.
Please also note that if your broadband account is suspended or in failed billing then your voip account will be as well.
cheers
Rich
deadkenny
Grafter

Cheers. Not really for me then. As I make practically zero outbound calls, the use of a VoIP service just as a means of getting cheap landline/mobile calls is not really of interest.
I have to pay for a BT landline, so little point too in switching to another service to get inbound calls as it makes no difference. Though if I could ditch the BT voice portion and cut the line rental, then this service would suddenly become very attractive! Wink
Anyway, I'm more interested in using VoIP actually for what it was designed for ( Shocked Smiley), i.e. making true VoIP to VoIP calls, free.
For that though I'd rather have a service that ties up with a Wireless Broadband account that allows me to roam around on a VoIP/WLAN enabled mobile and make VoIP calls at home and at hotspots.
RichSmol
Grafter

You could always use Fring? We have an integrated web form within our portal which preconfigures the Fring software when you submit the details via the web form. More details on Fring can be found at the link below:
http://www.fring.com/
deadkenny
Grafter

I have a Nokia N80 and use the integrated SIP support. I have it working with sipgate, and did have it set up with the old PlusNet talk thing but that doesn't work any more (and I'd need to be making outbound calls anyway to keep it alive).
Fring is okay, but for my mobile it's just more bloat on top of what already exists in the phone. It's fine if you don't have SIP support in the phone though.
Still can't even try the new Broadband Internet Phone anyway. If I go to the account page it tells me I need to log in with the details in my welcome email, but I have no welcome email as I was on the old package. If I try to subscribe to a package, it says I'm already on 'Broadband Phone PAYG' and my only options are to upgrade to a monthly fee package, which I don't want.

Any chance of offering a VoIP only package? i.e. no outbound/inbound calling, just pure VoIP SIP->SIP? Though I guess there's no money in that and few people anyway actually use VoIP for what it was designed to do Wink
James
Grafter

Hiya Deadkenny,
I've asked Rich to see if he can help out at all getting your welcome details resent to you.
RichSmol
Grafter

deadkenny - as far as i can tell you havent got an account created on our new platform. I'll get onto this for you - theres an automated script which runs at 2pm so you'll get the account details shortly after then. Its possible for us to turn off all chargeable calls, in fact i think you can deselect that yourself through the voip.plus.net portal pages > Account overview section > select your extension, once you gain access.
cheers
Rich
deadkenny
Grafter

Many thanks. Smiley
If I disable chargeable calls, do I still need to make an outbound (non-SIP) call to keep the account live (e.g. to a freephone number)?
Simon_M
Grafter

deadkenny
Quote from: Rich
You'll need to make or receive a call to any break out number (not a sip number) to maintain the account.

My emphasis.
All you need to do is ensure that the geographic number you are allocated gets an occasional call to it. Either you or someone else needs to call it from an account that has inclusive minutes or does not charge a call setup fee. The call needs to be answered, but only needs to last a couple of seconds.
You can then make & receive SIP to SIP calls free of charge. The person originating the call will need a phone capable of dialing a SIP address, rather than just a number, or you will be restricted to destinations where a peering arrangement exists.
The other option is to install your own SIP server. There are a number of free ones about. These requires a reasonable level of skill to configure, or you could buy a router with a SIP server built in, such as one from the Intertex range. I suspect Draytek do them too. These routers are not a cheap option though.
puddy
Grafter

If like the Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB and N96 phones you can enter the address both ways to make voip calls
You dont need to purchase any extra hardware the N80 is all you need to make and receive voip calls
Puddy
deadkenny
Grafter

The N80 is fine for that. It's got full SIP integration (even the older models so long as you get the firmware update to make it essentially the same as the Internet Edition of the N80).
Oh, and I have a Draytek Vigor 2700V router with VoIP as well. That should be fine to register. Only downside is it's an ATA really which means using a regular phone (or DECT) which is limited to numeric numbers, not SIP addresses. Although it is possible to configure the address book on the router with SIP addresses. Does make it a little awkward, but works.
The Vigor also does switching between a landline and VoIP also, but I don't use that as on the landline calls inbound it doesn't display the Caller ID on a DECT phone Sad.
Best option for me is the N80 as it's all nicely integrated. However doing it over WiFi, it's a serious drain on the battery!
I'm looking at an E71 though which looks promising.
Anyway, I've had it all working with sipgate before. Just trying the configuration out now with the Plus account.
The other end of the line is another matter. I have a few people now with VoIP/SIP phones, though they just use them for outbound calls to regular numbers at the moment (with poor quality results). Would be interested to see if they can call me via my SIP address, and if that makes the call quality any better (or worse!).
P.S. I assume I can register my SIP device anywhere in the world? e.g. use my N80 from some hotel with WiFi registered to my Plus account as if I'm at home? Though my experience of hotspots is pretty poor so I don't expect much from it.
puddy
Grafter

For a cheaper router with built-in VoIP have a look at the speedtouch 716wl5 I have been buying them on e-bay for about 99p plus £3.99 postage with 90 day warranty.
As for the N80 and other Nokia phones yes no matter where you are in the world and you can connect to  network you can make calls at a local rate back to the UK and yes you can also receive calls without the caller paying international rates.  Also the caller will have no idea where you are in the world
Puddy