Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed to set up Siemens C475IP

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Help needed to set up Siemens C475IP

I've just bought a Siemens C475IP and have been trying to input the settings but I am obviously doing something wrong because I keep getting provider registration failed. Can someone please advise me what I need to enter. The unit asks for a username, an authentication name and an authentication password. My Plusnet email gives me a SIP ID and a username which is the same (7 numbers) and a SIP password. This is what I've been inputting.
Annie
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Help needed to set up Siemens C475IP

Hi Annie,
I'm not at home at the moment so can't actually log on to my C475 but from what I recall...
Use your SIP ID in the username and authentication name and your sip password in the authentication password.
Hope that helps.
When I get home I will get a dump of my settings and post them.
Ian
PS this extract from the Gradwell setup guide for the C460 ( edited for Plusnet settings ) might help in the meantime.
Authentication Name: Your Extension Number(SIP id )
Authentication Password: Your Extension Password( SIP password)
Confirm Authentication Password: Your Extension Password ( sip password)
Username: Your Extension Number
Domain: sip.plus.net
Display Name: Free Text - Your Name Here
Proxy Server Address: sip.plus.net
Proxy Server Port: 5060
Registrar Server: sip.plus.net
Registrar server port: 5060
STUN Enabled: No
STUN Server: Please leave blank
STUN port: 3478
NAT refresh time: 20 sec
Outbound proxy mode: Always
Outbound proxy: natproxy.plus.net
Outbound proxy port: 5082
VOIP Volume: High or Normal
Enable Annex B for G729: No
Please click on G726 and click Remove - This codec is not needed.
Please click Set
Annie
Rising Star

Hi Ian,
Thanks for that. I've managed to get the phone working now but there's a very slight echo on the person's phone at the other end when calling from the assigned number. Is there a setting that you know of which might control the echo?
One thing I notice is that you have the Outbound Proxy as natproxy.plus.net whereas I just have nat.plus.net. Does this matter at all?
Annie
Community Veteran

Annie,
AFAIK there is no specific setting for echo suppression , it is automatic. If its echo heard by the other end of the call, hearing their own voice, then its usually caused by feedback at your end. Try lowering the volume for the voip setting.
Also check the codec settings , my settings from Settings->Telephony->Audio are attached.
As regards the outbound proxy , I believe the natproxy.plus.net is currently the correct one to use. I dont actually use either in my configuration as I have a 'clever' router, it has a SIP ALG built in and therefore I dont need the proxy. Actually that's another point to mention, a lot of routers have a SIP ALG, unfortunately most dont work properly and should be disabled, especially when an outbound proxy is being used.
Hope that helps
Ian
Annie
Rising Star

I've updated the firmware and I fancy it's a little better now. I'm not really performing the test under ideal conditions as I'm testing it using my home phone number which is also cordless (we currently have two landlines). I think maybe I'll ring from my mobile when I'm out of the house.
Ian, there's one thing that's really bugging me and I wonder if you know the answer. The instructions (p. 144) indicate that I should be able to set the receive numbers for the handset. What I'm trying to achieve is not to have the fixed line as an incoming number for the C475 because it's confusing us when the landline rings. We want to reserve normal calls for the landline phones in our house only and use the C475 for the VOIP/assigned number only (I recognise that I can't bar the C475 from dialling out using the fixed line but that's not too much of a problem).
In the web configurator I've chosen Settings > Telephony > Number Assignment and I only have a tick next to the VOIP setting for the option 'for incoming calls'. I've unticked this for Gigaset.net and Fixed Line but the phone still rings when I call the landline number. I can't quite work out why this should be the case.
Annie
Community Veteran

In the web configurator I've chosen Settings > Telephony > Number Assignment and I only have a tick next to the VOIP setting for the option 'for incoming calls'. I've unticked this for Gigaset.net and Fixed Line but the phone still rings when I call the landline number. I can't quite work out why this should be the case.

Well, as far as I can see you've got it exactly right!! Must admit I've never tried to disable the ring on landline as my C475 is usually the only phone connected so I want it to ring on a landline call. I presume you've clicked the 'Set' button to save the settings...
One other possibility, have you only got 1 handset registered, maybe the thing is too clever for its own good.. If you've only got 1 handset maybe it will always ring that one for a landline call!! Other than that , a bug in the software possibly...
Annie
Rising Star

OK. I've emailed Siemens and will post here if I get a reply.
Apart from this, it's a pretty neat phone, even the facility to read emails without the computer on. Cheesy
Cheers.
Annie
Annie
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Annie
I've unticked this for Gigaset.net and Fixed Line but the phone still rings when I call the landline number

The Gigaset.net settings is for free calls to other gigaset dect voip users only.  you need to dial 1188#9 and choose a nickname.
Unticking the fixed line only changes which way you make outgoing calls choose landline then voip or the other wayvoip and landline
if your gigaset is connected to your landline it will ring on incoming calls if it confuses you, you could set a different ring tone for incoming  voip or land calls
Regards
Puddy
Community Veteran

if your gigaset is connected to your landline it will ring on incoming calls if it confuses you, you could set a different ring tone for incoming  voip or land calls

@Puddy,
On the C475 there are seperate tick boxes for outgoing and incoming calls.
According to the manual ( page 144 ) you should be able to assign handsets to not ring on incoming calls for each of voip,fixed line and gigaset.  AFAIK there is no facility to have different ring tones for voip and fixed line.
Annie
Rising Star

Quote from: MisterW

On the C475 there are seperate tick boxes for outgoing and incoming calls.
According to the manual ( page 144 ) you should be able to assign handsets to not ring on incoming calls for each of voip,fixed line and gigaset.  AFAIK there is no facility to have different ring tones for voip and fixed line.

You're right Ian. There's only different ringtones for internal and external calls.
However, I was thinking about this last night and the obvious came to me. I just had to unplug the phone line going into the base station and fixed line calls are no longer an issue. Ironiclly, Siemens sent through an email telling me the same thing this morning. I still think there's a bug in the software though.
Annie
Community Veteran

However, I was thinking about this last night and the obvious came to me. I just had to unplug the phone line going into the base station and fixed line calls are no longer an issue. Ironiclly, Siemens sent through an email telling me the same thing this morning. I still think there's a bug in the software though.

Yes, I thought of suggesting that but that also stops you making outgoing landline calls of course...
I think there's a bug also. When I get chance I will try disabling incoming calls on my fixed line and see what happens!
Community Veteran

When I get chance I will try disabling incoming calls on my fixed line and see what happens!

@Annie,
Well I tried it!. I unchecked 'for incoming calls' against 'fixed line' for handset 1 clicked 'set' and it didnt ring when my landline was called.
The only difference is that I have 2 handsets registered, although only one is connected, maybe that is significant...
Annie
Rising Star

How strange that it worked for you. Perhaps you're right that you need more then one handset. As I don't intend to use it to dial out or in on my fixed line the workaround is OK for me.
I have another question. Yesterday I was able to get into the web configurator by getting the IP address up on the screen. I turned my router off overnight and couldn't get back in. Earlier on, I tried to obtain the IP address again by pressing the page button on the base station and couldn't. I've tried again now and have managed it. The IP address has changed slightly. Is this usual and does it mean that I need to check the IP each time I use the web configurator? When I move in a couple of months, I intend to keep the router plugged in all the time but I currently switch it off at night because it's plugged into the same gang as my computer, etc.
Annie
Community Veteran

I have another question. Yesterday I was able to get into the web configurator by getting the IP address up on the screen. I turned my router off overnight and couldn't get back in.

Your C475 is by default set to obtain its IP address from your router using DHCP. This means that potentially each time you restart the router it can allocate a different IP address to the phone. Some routers are clever in that they will always allocate the same one to each device ( using the MAC address ), some others can be configured to do so. It's only a problem if you switch the router off. You should be able to see what IP's have been allocated by checking your router web configurator.
You can avoid the problem by setting the C475 to use a static IP ( see page 130 ) but you need to ensure its in the correct range for your router. If you're not sure how to do that then post back with your router make/model and we'll try and help with the settings.

Annie
Rising Star

Hi Ian,
I have a Netgear DG834GT with one computer plugged into an Ethernet port and another connected wirelessly and obviously the phone's base station is now in another Ethernet port.
I've attached a screenshot of the web configurator. Currently I have it set to 'Obtain automatically' but the screenshot shows what appears when I switch it to 'Static' although I haven't saved this.
The second screenshot is of my router. Please can you tell me what I need to change to make sure the same IP address is assigned to the phone each time? Will this have an affect on the attached computers (ie. do I need to alter any settings on them also?)
Annie