cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware VOIP gateway info

The_10th
Grafter

Hardware VOIP gateway info

Was looking into something along the lines of a Linksys PAP2 but want to be able to connect both landline and ethernet connection to it so need FXS and FXO ports. Saw an old Camrivox unit but anyone experience of this unit (151)? Other suggestions also welcome.  Smiley
4 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Hardware VOIP gateway info

I use to use a Camrivox and can't remember having any problems with it . Only changed it after it was fried along with some of my other equipment by what I suspect was a nearby lightening strike.
The_10th
Grafter

Thanks for that. What do you use now and was there anyway to make the default option to dial PSTN rather than VOIP when calling?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Other suggestions also welcome.

Depends how much you want to spend. The Siemens Gigaset range of IP DECT phones are pretty good but are not that cheap, this is about the cheapest one now http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=8887
They certainly allow easy use of both landline and voip and will definitely allow you to set the default dial option, you can even specify different defaults for various type of number using a dial plan.
itsme
Grafter

After the Camrivox was fried I decided to get a ADSL router that supported VoIP. So first I got a Speedtouch 716 for a about £10 on ebay. The Speedtouch was very good as it supported both PTSN and VoIP. Believe dialling rules could be setup to select which to use but I found it easier just to dial the prefix to select the non-default. From memory I believe you could select the default to be either PSTN or VoIP.
As the Speedtouch I got did not have WiFi I eventually replaced this with a BT Business Hub. These have PSTN fallback but can't receive or make PSTN calls.