cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardphone info

OLD
Dabbler

Hardphone info

Am i correct in thinking that there are hard phones that i can plug into the hard wireing from the router then provide a short lead from the phone to the adjacent computer (looping in the phone to the computer line) and both items can then work independantly or together.If this is so could you recomend a inexpensive instrument please.
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Hardphone info

The short answer is , Yes.
Let me explain the options a little more fully, I presume you are looking for a voip solution which does not require your computer to be on all the time...
There are devices know as IP Phones, these plug directly into a network port on your router, connect to your PlusNet voip service, have a built in phone handset and allow you make and receive voip calls without any computer. In addition there are slightly different versions of this device ( sometimes know as Dual Phones ) which can also plug into a normal BT landline ( just like a normal phone ) and will allow you to make/receive both Voip and normal landline calls. These usually come as a base unit and one or more DECT handset(s).
There are also devices called ATA's ( Analog Telephone Adapter ) these provide similar facilities but rather than having there own handset built-in, provide a BT style socket into which you plug an existing phone handset.
All of these solutions are completely independant of a computer, all they require is a router ( connected to broadband ) to which they connect via a network port. You can still run a softphone ( such a SJPhone ) on your computer, connected to your PlusNet voip account when you wish. If connected then both the IP phone and the softphone will ring for incoming voip calls, and you can anwer from either, and you can make calls from either, or even both at the same time ( up to 2 calls simultaneously ).
OK , examples of prices etc ( but dont neceesarily buy from here , its just that the information is pretty good )
Look here at ATA's http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=96
If you want to use it for BOTH Voip and landline you need one with an FXO and FXS port.
Look at IP phones here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=93
If you are interested in Dual Phones I would recommend the Siemens Gigaset ones , either the A580IP at about £60 , the C475IP at about £75 or the S685IP at £100. There are a few people on this forum with Gigaset phones ( me included ) and are happy with them.
Have a look at these sites http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/voip-phones/voip-dect-phones/
and http://www.home-phones.co.uk/skype-and-voip-telephony/voip-sip-phones/
Ok , hope that gives you plenty to think about and I expect you to come back with more questions...
NB with dual phones , be careful that they are SIP compatible ( some are Skype only ) and that they are NOT locked to one voip service ( like the Panasonic and Tesco ones ).
OLD
Dabbler

My router is netgear dg834v3 hard wire only, which i have wired through the loft to the wifes computer so not wishing to run another wire from a unused port to here remote m/c. i was hopeing the lan connection could go via the hard phone (soft phone not ideal for her). Your answer seems to sudjest that this extra wireing is required to a stand alone device can you confirm please and thanks for the large amount of info already supplyed.
itsme
Grafter

There are devices that will allow you to do what you want. I got one but is no longer available. I will do a search and come back to you.
Community Veteran

(soft phone not ideal for her)

Yep, thats why I got a hardphone.
i was hopeing the lan connection could go via the hard phone

@itsme,
Wouldnt be a Voyager 10V by any chance, that had an in and out network port. Not sure whether I've still got one of those lying around...
@old,
You could always use a simple network switch like this http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peripherals/Network+Products/Wired/Hubs+%2F+Switches+%2F+Routers/5+PO... .
The cable from the router connects to the switch and then you connect the hardphone and computer to other ports on the switch. It just means yet another power adaptor to be plugged in to power the switch unfortunately.
itsme
Grafter

One device is the Grandstream 486 adaptor. http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/grandstream/handytone486 this  has a NAT and router for the LAN side so can support more than one PC. If you scroll down on the page that I given you will be able to read the manual.
Or a Grandstream GXP-280 http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/grandstream/gxp-280 which is a complete phone which allow one PC to connected to it. More expensive though.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW

@itsme,
Wouldnt be a Voyager 10V by any chance, that had an in and out network port. Not sure whether I've still got one of those lying around...

No it's a Camrivox Flexor 151 actually supplied by Gradwell but I believe no longer available but if it was I would not recommend as it's not supported by the manufacturer and no firmware updates for the last 2 years. If I was looking for a new adaptor I would look at the Grandstream ones.
Community Veteran

@itsme,
That Grandstream 486 looks a good option if OLD wants an ATA. Reasonably cheap too!.
You can even set it to Bridge mode rather than router and avoid any double NAT issues, although as long as there are no other PC's connected directly to the DG834 it shouldnt be a problem.
itsme
Grafter

Seem that I will looking for a new VoIP ATA as the lightening that happened a couple of hours ago took out.
1. VoIP ATA
2. ADSL Modem
3. ADSL filter
4. LAN Card
5. Telephone Surge protector
6. Telephone monitoring device.

I can understand the telephony equipment getting fried but the VoIP ATA and the LAN card the damage was on the ethernet side. In fact you could see the fried ATA components.
Community Veteran

@itsme,
That's a lot of kit to get taken out in one go!!!
As you , a bit surprising its taken out the ethernet side. Did it affect any other electrical stuff ?
Edit: might be worth looking at a voip router , you could probably  pick one up on ebay locally.
itsme
Grafter

Lost picture on the TV, switching it off and back on fixed it.  Also I don't think I was the only one in the area as the Open WiFi which my PC log into every morning, and this morning was no exception, has disappeared. Which was a shame as I had to use GPRS so that I could search the internet for the default username and password for my old modem.
Community Veteran

The TV's obviously got a better protected power supply than the network kit...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Edit: might be worth looking at a voip router , you could probably  pick one up on ebay locally.

Currently I have a seperate modem, router and VoIP ATA. The router is a Linksys running DD-WRT firmware. This firmware has a few features that I like. So really undecided whether to get an all in device. Just have to keep an eye on ebay for the next few days and if I see something at the right price will go with that.
puddy
Grafter

@ old & itsme 
Have you thought about getting a speedtouch 716wl or 780 wl  both are wireless 4 port adsl 2+ and come with 2 voip ports  Digidave does some good deals on eBay my cheapest was 99p plus p&p £4.00
They are easy to setup and have the ssid and wpa/wpa2 code on the underneath and it relates to that router only.  I have had mine for over 4 years and I install them for friends and have had no problems.
@itsme I got so fed up replacing kit because of thunder storms I purchased 2 ups from misco they have a 3 year warranty 4 sockets are surge and other 4 are surge and battery backup, they set me back about £35 for each they also clean the mains 240v.
Puddy
itsme
Grafter

I brought a Speedtouch 716 wired on Friday from Digidave it was £2.99 compared to £4.99 for the wl (wireless). As I run an additional  double ssid wifi router for FON access a wired modem/router is all I require.
The surge that did the damage was on the telephone line and not on the mains and I did run the telephone through a surge protector which is part of 6 way mains distribution board. This was also taken out by the surge  Cry