cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gradwell newsip Platform

RichSmol
Grafter

Gradwell newsip Platform

Next Monday we plan to move all trial users to Gradwell's newsip platform which offers better resilience for multi device registration (if you have Fring and another registered device they should both ring consistently), some presence features for selected handsets (basic centrex features provided over a single line account!) and all in all better audio handling capability.
You will NOT need to make any changes to your settings, the changeover on Monday morning should be seamless without any interruption (only DNS changes are required and the current platform will still be operational as a failover anyway).
Below is a list of presence enabled devices which have been verified against the newsip platform (more are being tested and we'll add these as they are verified):
Grandstream gxp2000
Snom320 (3XX)
Please note that single line accounts are only designed for a maximum of 2 concurrent calls.
16 REPLIES
RichSmol
Grafter

Re: Gradwell newsip Platform

We have now moved users to the newsip platform - Gradwell have advised a handful of customers may experience some speradic problems with inbound audio this morning - they're working to resolve this at the moment and hope to have the problem fixed within the hour. Please let me know if you are being affected by this.
cheers
Rich
prichardson
Grafter

Can I ask what "presence enabled devices" will provide to us?
I have a grandstream 2000, which is gathering dust. I might crack it out if it is anything interesting
RichSmol
Grafter

You can, although devices are still being fully tested.
The following details Gradwells newsip testing with both the GXP2000 & SNOM320 enabled for presence management. This should hopefully give you a good indication of what features you've now got access to.
gxp2000:
when configured with light as "asterisk BLF":
- snom320 (3XX) and grandstreams can be monitored
- light changes on snom3XX picking up phone, receiving calls, etc
- light flashes when monitored phone gets call and can be picked up on monitoring grandstream
when configured with light as "presence watcher":
- registers for ``presence'' event on server:
- gets information from other gxp (dnd / free)
- doesn't change light on snom information (information + sipgreps sent to Anca for review)
Snom320:
function key as "line":
- subscribes for "dialog" successfuly (202 Accepted):
- changes light on snom status changes
- ignored from grandstream
function key as "shared line" + shared line option turned on:
- call is blocked if other phone sets line as engaged (busy signal when after picking up phone)
- light information about status
- doesn't work with grandstreams (at least gxp2000 - completely no support for that)
Hopefully that makes sense!
RichSmol
Grafter

Inbound audio issues have now been resolved.
sourceit
Grafter

Shame we can't get on the service anymore!!
Ben
petergradwell
Grafter

Hi guys
Can I ask, when you post about problems, can you please mention your login/extension numbers, e.g. 1234567@sip2.plus.net as we (gradwell) who are monitoring cannot easily figure out from your forum names who you are.
thanks
peter
sourceit
Grafter

6160108@sip2.plus.net
itsme
Grafter

Most times incoming calls are going straight to voice mail 7080017@sip2.plus.net
xpcomputers
Grafter

Me too.
I have PMed petergradwell, but my details are 6840030@sip2.plus.etc
Is anyone else seeing it working again now. Mine isn't right, but is working...ish! Will run some more tests, and check various status feeds and report back. Previously http://voip.plus.net said I last logged in 9:30 am 31st March, whereas now it still says offline but says last registered this afternoon....
UPDATE:
I am receiving calls inbound now. I hope this is a permanent feature, not just a passing fad, as it has accepted 1 call in the last 36 hours previously... despite http://voip.plus.net telling me I hadn't been online since 9:30am yesterday!
It still thinks I am offline now. Says I was last online registered at 15:43 this afternoon, but am offline now. My router (a Billion 7404VGO VOIP router) has said I am online and registered throughout the whole ordeal. I am manually just re-registered my router to SIP2 and http://voip.plus.net still says I was last online at 15:43.
Something is not right somewhere in the chain. My settings haven't been touched since it was last working correctly for months.
I'm happy to change anything at this end, as requested.
I just want to know it is rock solid and dependable again. With http://voip.plus.net telling me I am offline, when I'm not, and most calls for last 36hrs going straight to voicemail, I have lost some confidence in the previously rock solid platform from Gradwell.
Hopefully that confidence will  be restored.
Mike
Total_Chaos
Dabbler

I was only using the VoIP trial platform a week before the move to NEWSIP and the matters I am going to detail have only appeared since the move to NEWSIP.  Note that I have made no changes to my set up to accommodate NEWSIP, and these are those that Peter Gradwell stated in his posting had not changed and should be used.  I am using a PAP2 adapter and a generic analogue phone. 
Could use the phone from home in the evening, and if I checked it about 07:00 in the morning using my PSTN line It would ring.  When I test the phone from work and getting home then it goes straight to voicemail stating that "the person at extension 6640018 is not available.  Normally the way over this is to reboot the PAP2 by removing the power temporarily and after the reboot it's OK. However this morning, even after three reboots and trying it from my PSTN phone I still got the message, and was still occurring when checked several minutes ago from work.  I was in too much of a hurry this morning to check whether the PAP2 was still showing as being registered.
The PAP2 is assigned it's IP address from a dhcp server, and that was up and running, so was the router.
Anyone else come across this problem?
Incidentally I noted that PG requested that users post their SIP address details with their postings. Though I have included in my posting I am not too happy with that from a security viewpoint.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I was getting the same problem yesterday but was fixed but today it's back to square one saying the extension is not available but seems to work on the odd occcasion.
simonsse
Dabbler

I have also been having trouble in the last couple of days with inbound calls on the PlusNet VOIP Beta trial.  Below is my login status message captured a couple of minutes ago.  (I have PM'd the uneditted version to PG & RichSmol).
Inbound calls go straight to voicemail (successfully), and do not register on the in bound call log.  Outbound calls work fine.  Errant behaviour survives a reboot of the Zyxel Prestige 2002L Analogue Telephone Adapter.  I haven't rebooted the router (first generation Netgear DG834), but will probably try that tonight at home.
This is sadly all too reminiscent of the difficulties I had trying to make the original plusnet VOIP service work.  Despite using plusnet supplied equipment and trying to escalate the issue within the ticket system, I gave up attempting to get that to work.  Only had success with this Gradwell service after quite a bit of pratting around - and now its bust.
Overall I have found the voice quality to be on the low side, definitely not as good as a POTS phone, and quite often stuttery.  I do not believe I have interleaving on - I am on an "Up to 8Mb/s" service, and usually sync at >7Mb/s.  We are <300m from the local exchange.
This should just work like a phone, and it doesn't.  My kids don't like using the VOIP line, perceiving it as a second best service compared to the BT POTS line (which they hog during early evenings).  I don't want to pay for a second line, but it looks like I'd have to, to get something that works as well as an ordinary phone.
Simon SSE
lon-ppc-3, expires at 2008-04-02 16:12:57, logged into v-sip-1
NAT: 8xxxxx4@sip2.plus.net on lon-ppc-3 from 87.115.xx.xxx
(87.115.xx.xxx.plusnet.pcl-ag01.dyn.plus.net)
RichSmol
Grafter

we'll get there folks, as mentioned in this thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,62681.16.html
There are a few issues being worked on by Gradwell at the moment as a priority so should get most of this ironed out shortly.
petergradwell
Grafter

Hi Simon
Quote from: simonsse
Overall I have found the voice quality to be on the low side, definitely not as good as a POTS phone, and quite often stuttery.  I do not believe I have interleaving on - I am on an "Up to 8Mb/s" service, and usually sync at >7Mb/s.  We are <300m from the local exchange.

Leaving aside the problems with our thinking the phone is not online for inbound calls, I am wondering what can be done to improve the phone quality you are getting as under normal conditions we usually get very different feedback (and indeed, technically, it should be transmitting the voice as well, if not better, than say, ISDN).
What happens when you run a report on http://www.testyourvoip.com/ (use the london site).
Also, does your router support any QoS or traffic prioritisation that could be configured.
cheers
peter