Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gradwell incident report

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Gradwell incident report

Gradwell report on the recent problems that have caused repeated outages for Broadband Phone customers - http://blog.gradwell.net/2009/02/12/gradwell-january-stability-improvements/

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

19 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Gradwell incident report

I am very concerned that while this outage was going on and in past dealing with plusnet  plusnet will always blame the end user.
This must and has to stop
On more than 1 occasion I phoned in to plusnet help desk to be told no problems here it must be a change you made, when I told the help desk agent that  I have 4-5 ip phones and that they all showed any error.  I was rebuked by your staff who again stated my equipment must be faulty
I would be very grateful to find out what plusnet intend do to stop this practice
Michael
=jillweekes account
prichardson
Grafter

Michael,
Do you have rough dates and times of your calls?
Community Veteran

Quote from: puddy
I am very concerned that while this outage was going on and in past dealing with plusnet  plusnet will always blame the end user.

Its disapointing that this continues to happen  Sad
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: puddy
On more than 1 occasion I phoned in to plusnet help desk to be told no problems here it must be a change you made, when I told the help desk agent that  I have 4-5 ip phones and that they all showed any error.  I was rebuked by your staff who again stated my equipment must be faulty

I'm not sure this is entirely relevant to this thread however one of the first things an agent should be doing is to try and replicate the problem. If you encounter instances where this doesn't happen then let one of us comms folk know and we'll take a look into it for you.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I'm not sure this is entirely relevant to this thread .

Why do you say its not relevant?  You gave use the link to gradwell and I am telling you how you responed to me when telling them that the voip service has gone down!!!
Your just has bad as them you did not read my thread if you had you would have know the problems with voip network that i was reporting!!  I feel your responce is just a brush off
As for the times I called you would know them because every agent is supposed to log it on my account.  You do log every call dont you?
when i do phone all I get is I dont know anything about the voip service  I am not trained and dont know how it works
puddy
=jillweekes account
Puddy
=jillweekes account
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

My reply is not a brush off. I started this thread to discuss the continued storage problems that Gradwell have been having and what there justification for these problems is.
As per the title of the thread, Gradwell incident report != lacklustre support responses from our technical analysts.
I'll look at your account and see if I can deduce anything from the tickets on there but if you want to discuss your concerns any further then I don't personally think this is the thread to do it in.
Edit: The last incident I can see is from back in November and seems to be to one of our responses to you - "I have sent the problem back to Gradwell to check the setting there side. can you confirm that your network team have not changed anything also please?" - We weren't blaming you, we were simply asking whether or not you had changed any settings. I'm sorry if it came across that way. As I've said, let me know if it happens again and I'll make sure it's followed up.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team

puddy
Grafter

I made 4 calls to you in feb about this issues so we do now know that when we call in to report problems they are not logged.  If find this very strange how can you improve customer support if out calls are not logged?  How can you audit your systems if you don’t log calls can this be changed?
I still don’t understand when you say this thread is not the right place to discuss the voip service problems.  You put it on the forum all I am saying that when I phoned customer services to report these faults I was told that Plusnet had no problems and said that the failure was not at plusnet ends so my equipment was at fault.  So why put a link on saying gradwell had problems when plusnet staff told user that the problem was the end user equipment?
Puddy
Community Veteran

Puddy,
This thread is about the problems with the Gradwell Platform, not your customer service issues, which should be in a totally different thread.
You also need to calm down, being beligerent with the staff will not help. It's clear that Bob is trying to help and I can see that Peter Jackson has asked you to clarify exactly when you called.
All calls made into the customer service centre will also be logged on workplace, and will be traceable. I find it hard to believe that a CSA will not have logged your call.
puddy
Grafter

I don’t think you understand.  The issue here is that while I was reporting issues direct to plusnet I was told that it was my equipment that was at fault.
Why would Plusnet start this link listing Gradwell response due to hardware problems. If Plusnet was to be believed there were no service outages yet Gradwell say there was.  Plusnet customer service agents are saying no problems and Gradwell say there was. I am just trying to find out why the difference
I thought a forum site is so things like this can be aired in the open.  If not Plusnet could have listed this problem in a news letter, a sticky  or this link could have been locked so no replies could have been made.
This is not the first time I have been told my VoIP equipment is at fault.  This seems to be a standard reply from Plusnet.  What did make me feel bad is that I was promised a reply on the issue yet nobody from Plusnet rang back with more info.  What should have happened is that Plusnet could have made a VoIP call  straightaway then the agent would know that the VoIP system had gone down and listed it on the forum.
I always call Plusnet if there’s been a problem and in the past the agent has checked the status, but with VoIP problems customer service agents have told me they don’t know how the system works so cannot help.
How many calls from users does it take before Plusnet actually take action on a fault?
But the point I would like to make is please can we have more staff visit the VoIP forum - we have missed them.
Again I do think this was the correct link for all my messages the link was started so we could be informed that Gradwell had problems and my reply is how I felt and the treatment I got when trying to inform Plusnet about a service status/problems that caused/related directly to the problems listed in Gradwell’s report.
I always find Bob a very helpful member of staff but Bob could only find that I last called about problems months ago which rightly or not suggest all calls are not logged on the computer
I apologise if you think I was belligerent to staff it was not intended  to be taken that way but the time taken to call Plusnet about VoIP service issues has taken up a lot of my time and had been very frustrating
puddy

Moderators note by Chemical Brother : Full quote of previous post removed as per the link:rules

Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

But the point I would like to make is please can we have more staff visit the VoIP forum - we have missed them.

Yes, we do seem to have lost Rich, our voip expert, recently.

I always call Plusnet if there’s been a problem and in the past the agent has checked the status, but with VoIP problems customer service agents have told me they don’t know how the system works so cannot help.

TBH I never bother calling, I've got to the point where if my phone goes offline I just assume its a Gradwell problem.
I used to confirm by trying a Softphone just in case, but recently I don't bother.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Yes, we do seem to have lost Rich, our voip expert, recently.

last time on Forum 22 Dec
RichSmol
Grafter

Hey folks - im still alive, we've obviously been really busy launching new products and i've been instrumental in the design work. As im not part of the comms team its difficult for me to commit additional time to the forum threads as well. I also undertake the service review sessions with Peter Gradwell directly once a month and usually have a quick scan over the threads to see if there are any issues which need to be moved on by the Gradwell support team. As my focus is ultimately away from these threads for most of the day, i'll ask the Comms team to collate the escalated issues and i'll bundle them up and ensure that they are being progressed in our face to face service review meeting (next meeting 27th Feb AM and is usually around this date each month).
Puddy - I can understand your frustration. It sounds to me as though we dont have the right technical skills in the right area of the CS all of the time and those non-technical replacements may be getting things slightly wrong, theres a lot of training and re-orgs plans been imposed on the analysts recently and i think our eye has been taken off the ball a bit. The CS do a great job and i've spot checked some of the tickets, some are answered in good time, some seem to get darted around if the technical awareness doesnt exist to fix the ticket. We need to go back and look at training and refresh some of the tech training to ensure that we develop more VoIP experts.
RichSmol
Grafter

Just to add and to bring this back on track - whats everyones thoughts re: the Gradwell blog? I'd love to go back to Peter next week and tell him what the Community site perception is on the handling of all their issues
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Rich,
The blog was good. At least we now have an appreciation of what their problems were ( are ? ) and what steps they
are taking to resolve them. Its good that they are taking the necessary actions and even better that they are willing to explain the situation. It would obviously have been better if the failures hadn't happened, as people have to some extent started to lose a bit of faith in what is a far better system than the original PlusTalk. However that's hopefully in the past and we can look forward to a reliable system in the future.
On the subject of CSC training , I cant say directly from personal contact with CSC because I havent called myself, but from discussions with other people in various threads it would appear that VOIP expertise in CSC is a little lacking. One gets the impression that, as the system is provided by Gradwell, CSC dont seem to be quite as clued up as they could be. Having said that, it is good that at least they now have some facility to test voip accounts when there are problems.