cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gigaset A580IP & Netgear DGN2200 problems

jharrop

Gigaset A580IP & Netgear DGN2200 problems

I have a Gigaset A580IP phone and a Netgear DGN2200 router. I have been unable to get past Registration failed with Plusnet, and the same goes for all other voip providers that I've tried. I have managed to connect to Sipgate with both SJPhone and X-Lite, but have failed to connect to Plusnet with the same softphones. Of course, the aim is to get the Gigaset working, not a softphone.
Looking through this forum, a common theme is that once you get the settings correct on the Gigaset, then the router more or less takes care of itself, with no need for port forwarding or other adjustments.
If anyone has similar hardware to mine, I would be most grateful for any assistance you might be able to give me, before I finally lose my sanity, dump the Gigaset on ebay and go back to a regular phone.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Gigaset A580IP & Netgear DGN2200 problems

I have managed to connect to Sipgate with both SJPhone and X-Lite, but have failed to connect to Plusnet with the same softphones

I would suggest sorting this out first. Double check that you have the correct password for your PlusNet sip id, its not neccessarily the same as the one you use  to login to the voip portal. Does your 7 digit sip id start with a 4 by any chance ? if so try dropping the 4 and just use the last 6 digits. Once we've got a softphone to connect, and prove your PlusNet account is ok, then it should be straightforworward to move on to the A580.
jharrop

Thanks for your reply. I contacted Plusnet and it seems that the password I was given does not work. I was issued with a new password and now I'm getting Registered on the Gigaset A580IP. That's progress! However, when I go to make a call, I'm getting VoIP not available on the handset.  The phone is still showing as Registered. Can anyone help with this?
Community Veteran

and now I'm getting Registered on the Gigaset A580IP
That's progress Smiley
What version of the firmware does the A580 have ? there has been issues in the past with some firmwares.
Also, have you configured the details for the outbound proxy correctly , nat.plus.net:5082 ?
jharrop

Thanks for the response. I'm fairly certain that the outbound proxy is configured correctly, but I'll check this evening. As for the firmware, it's the infamous 02227 - I know that a lot of users have had problems with that one! Maybe it's time to talk to Gigaset.
Community Veteran

That's the latest firmware, I didn't think that had problems. I have a C475 and although its basically the same f/w AFAIK, I haven't updated mine for a while ( it works so leave it alone!!). Bob(boulby) has a 580 and I'm pretty sure he's running 02227, he's normally active on this forum so I'm sure he'll be along shortly with some advice.
Community Veteran

Hi jharrop.
My A580IP is running firmware 022270000000 / 043.00 and it's been rock solid. I've never seen "VOIP not available" on the handset but I'd suggest checking all your settings against mine as detailed on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94015.msg789216.html#msg789216. If that doesn't work try doing a factory reset.
Hope this helps - Bob
jharrop

Thanks for your reply. I checked all of the settings against the setup images and all appears to be okay. In despair, I did a factory reset and re-entered the settings. Now I'm back to Registration failed. Aargh!!!
Maybe I hadn't really registered before - hence the Voip not available message. I can register and make calls with SJPhone, so maybe the Gigaset is faulty and it's time to return it to Siemens.
Community Veteran

That’s disappointing  Sad
It would seem unlikely that the Siemens is faulty but you never know. The only other thing I can think of is that it’s a setting in your router. Do you have another router you can try?
Bob
Edit - one other thought. Is you PlusNet firewall set to "Low" or "Off" (see screenshot).
jharrop

Thanks for your reply. I've only just switched to the Netgear router from a TP-Link W8901G - the phone didn't work with that router either. As I don't have the original packaging for the Gigaset, my product return options are a bit limited, so maybe I'll try a few more things before I give up.
My Plusnet firewall is set to off. The phone works just fine on fixed line, and I see that the Gigaset.net is always showing Registered. I'll try opening up the VoIP & RTP ports on the router to see if that makes any difference. It shouldn't be necessary, but I'll try anything now.
Community Veteran

So it's showing "Registered" from the web interface (see below) but not from the handset? If so it must be a handset problem. When you did a factory reset, did you do it from the handset? I'm not sure if this makes any difference but it could be worth trying.
Bob
Edit, sorry I misread your post, you said that Gigaset.net was registering not PlusNet voip. If that is the case, I’m out of ideas I’m afraid. It doesn’t seem like a hardware fault though if you can register with Gigaset.net.
jharrop

Yes, I think you're right. The fact that it always registers with gigaset.net does suggest that the phone is not faulty. I'll keep trying and thanks for your help.
I've just had a response from Siemens concerning my problems. They simply regurgitated the part of the manual that deals with web configuration, followed by have a great day and thank you for choosing Gigaset products. Polite, but not helpful!
Community Veteran

Have you tried disabling the Gigaset.net by unchecking the active box. I've never used gigaset.net and it doesn't look like bob uses it either.
jharrop

Thanks for your reply. I tried disabling Gigaset.net by unchecking the box, but it made no difference.
However, after much trial and error, I have finally got to make calls with this phone. Out of the available slots for internet phone (IP1-6), it seems that only IP2 is working. So, providing I just use that slot and disable the others, I'm in business.
Of course, this does indicate a faulty base unit or mismatch with firmware and hardware. It's been suggested that a hard reset would bring the other slots into play, but I've tried that several times without success. It seems that my choices are simple. Either I return the base unit for repair/replacement, or I live with one working slot. For the moment, I will take the latter approach.
Thanks for your patient help with this. Once I'm confident that all is going well over a longer period, I will submit my details to the working setups topic.
John
Community Veteran

Weird, that is an obscure problem. I'm glad you got it (sort of) working anyway.
Bob.