Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Hardware to work - Nokia N82 & Linksys SPA941 - Finally working

sourceit
Grafter

Getting Hardware to work - Nokia N82 & Linksys SPA941 - Finally working

Hi
WARNING TO NEWBIES TO VoIP - LEARN WHAT PATIENCE IS AS VOIP CAN BE FRUSTRATING AT TIMES
Ok, since the PN VoIP trial I have been experimenting to get my Nokia N82 to work and stay registered.  I have finally found the cause of that which was the MTU size on my broadband needed to be 1438 and not 1492.  This has fixed the staying connected issue, however, my phone will only work on the sip2.plus.net address and not the sip.  Don't ask me why, it just does.  And I know they both go to the same place.
I have also, recently bought a Linksys SPA941 phone.  My god there are some complicated settings on there!
I managed to upgrade the firmware to 5.1.8 and after all sorted of trailing around on the net, finally got it to work. (3 hours later that is)  PlusNet did try to help, but to no avail.  Well here are the settings you need to change:-
Login and goto the advanced section, preferable give the phone a static IP address so it doesn't keep moving IP.
Next goto the SIP tab and make sure STUN enable is no.  This caused me not to be able to hear the person at the other end.  YOU DO NOT NEED STUN FOR THIS PHONE
Next,goto Ext1 and under the SIP Settings sub-heading put 5060 is the SIP port
Under the Proxy & Registration sub-heading put sip.plus.net in the proxy field and nat.plus.net:5082 in the outbound proxy field.  Make sure Use Outbound proxy is set to yes
Under the Subscriber sub-heading put your voip id in the display name and user id id fields.  Put your password in the password field.
That should get your going.  Beyond this, make sure SIP ALG is enabled in your router, forward 5060 and 5082 ports to your phone.  Check MTU is 1432.
Other than that, leave a message on the forums.  I'm sure RichSmol or puddy will answer with a lot more info that I can provide.
Have fun and be patient.  Wink
Ben Cooper
Source IT
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Getting Hardware to work - Nokia N82 & Linksys SPA941 - Finally working

Beyond this, make sure SIP ALG is enabled in your router, forward 5060 and 5082 ports to your phone.

If you have an outbound proxy then surely you dont need to forward any ports ?
Also if your router has a SIP ALG ( that works !! ) then you dont need either the outbound proxy OR any port forwarding, the SIP ALG should sort it...
Only problem is that most routers SIP ALG's dont work very well, so in fact you are best turning it off and just leaving the outbound proxy ( which is really just a remote SIP ALG IIRC ) to do its job.
sourceit
Grafter

I didn't profess to know everything, just try and put down some settings that I have had to trawl the net for and put together myself to get to work.  There is no help from PN to setup IP phones unless it's one that they sell/use.
However, your suggestions on the firewall forwarding is correct and not needed, so I have disabled this in my firewall.
Now all I need to decide is what codec to use G711u, G711a, G726-16, G726-24, G726-32, G726-40, G729a, G723?Huh
Regards
Ben
Community Veteran

Thanks for posting your settings, any information on the various hardware out there is useful.
As you said in your original post Voip can be frustrating at times.
Particularly with voip hardware, manufacturers sometimes have different terminology for what is in effect the same configuration parameters. As such it is difficult for the likes of the PlusNet CSC to know about all the hardware out there.
Anyway with regard to codecs, here's the ordered list from my Siemens C475IP if it helps
G.722
G.711a
G.711u
G.729
G.726 is deselected
Hope that is of use.
One thing on the SIP ALG, if your router has one that really works then if you use it instead of the outbound proxy you will seriously reduce your background network traffic. The outbound proxy needs to communicate fairly frequently ( every 20  seconds or so ) to ensure that it keeps the NAT binding open whereas with a working SIP ALG then all you get is the reregistration traffic at something like hourly intervals. I know its not a lot of traffic, but using a SIP ALG and disabling the outbound proxy reduced my background traffic in the midnight to 8am period from about 1mb+ to about 60k.
puddy
Grafter

Here you go
new settings below are for the Nokia N95 N95-8GB E65 N82 models
Sip settings
Profile name  Gradwell
Service profile IETF
Default access point Your router
Public username sip:id number@sip.plus.net
Use compression no
Registration always on or when needed 
Use security no
Proxy server
proxy server address  sip:natproxy.plus.net
Realm sip.plus.net
User Name  id number
Password  account password
allow loose routing yes
Transport type UDP
Port 5082
Registrar server
Registrar serv addr sip:sip.plus.net
Realm sip.plus.net
User name id number
Password id password
Transport type UDP
Port 5060

And dont forget this one
tools > settings > phone>  call barring >  internet call barring> anonymous call barring > switch off
If you don’t change the call barring to off, all calls that have number withheld go straight to voice mail
Let me know how you get on?
Puddy
sourceit
Grafter

So, should I be able to use both the N82 and Linksys SPA941 at the same time, ie ring the number and both phones ring?
Community Veteran

Yep.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Source
So, should I be able to use both the N82 and Linksys SPA941 at the same time, ie ring the number and both phones ring?

If your mobile can log on to any network with permission it will ring where the mobile is and at home, they will both ring at the same time. Even works abroad.  If I logon to mates network in Spain and I get a call it will ring in spain and at home and the call counts as a UK call (free allowance).  You can ring home from Spain and it still counts as a local call.  Nobody will know where you are.
Yes you can make a call on your N82 and an other call on your SPA941 at the same time has Ian said

Puddy
All my voip rings listed below.
sourceit
Grafter

OK, conundrum for you.
When N82 is registered, the N82 rings, but the SPA941 doesn't.  When I set the N82 to "when needed" availability, the SPA941 rings. Undecided
Turn the N82 back to always on, the SPA941 doesn't ring, the N82 does.  Any ideas?
Also, how do I show the voicemail as available from the PlusNet VoIP service on the phone.  Is there a voicemail server that I need to enter?
Community Veteran

Are you using the outbound proxy ? if so then make sure the SIP ALG is turned off on the router as it will be interfering with any NAT routing for SIP packets.
Hopefully that should sort it but if not then try changing the local SIP port on the SPA941.
Not familiar with the SPA941 but looking at the manual I would suggest changing the 'Sip TCP port Min' on page 5-10 to 5061 instead of 5060 and seeing if it makes any difference...
I'm not sure about the voicemail tho , I'll look around a bit more.
Community Veteran

Enabling the voicemail indication ( MWI )..
Good heavens this SPA941 is a complicated beast isnt it...
I'm guessing here but, manual Page 5-41 , try setting the 'message waiting' to Yes
Let me know if that works
sourceit
Grafter

Man-ual - what's one of those?Huh
Unfortunately, that seems to be referring to options available in an older firmware.  I can't seem to find any of those settings in the 5.1.8 firmware, even in advanced mode.
I don't use a router with SIP ALG on it.  Was just a suggestion to other users if they had problems.  I sit behind a Linksys RV082 VPN firewall.  The port 5060 to 5061 made no difference for the settings.  The outbound proxy is nat.plus.net:5082
Turning Message Waiting on just puts a red light on the phone, even though there is no voicemail waiting.
Yes, it is a complicated phone.
Cheers for your help.
Community Veteran

I got the manual from the Linksys site.
I'm sorry none of that worked. I will go away and investigate it a bit more...
Community Veteran

@SourceIT,
Does this help at all with the MWI http://forum.voxilla.com/communigate-pro-support-forum/configure-spa941-mwi-cgpro-17401.html
Try using <extension>@sip.plus.net in the Voicemail server.
Community Veteran

Okay I've had another trawl around and this links https://portal.gradwell.net/support.php/knowledgebase/view/category_id/35/article_id/231
on the Gradwell support site looks useful
This bit
For example if you have two Telephones and you wish to use all four lines then on the first Telephone you would set ext1 sip port to 5060 and ext2 sip port to 5061, on the second Telephone you would set ext1 sip port to 5062 and ext2 sip port to 5063.

Is the useful info regarding multiple phones. I'm assuming that its easier to change the sip port on the SPA rather than the N82 so lets try changing ext1 sip port as above to 5061.
Hope that helps.