cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware for Speedtouch ST 716WL v5 Voip ADSL

PNet4um
Grafter

Firmware for Speedtouch ST 716WL v5 Voip ADSL

I have spent an hour (or 2!) trying to find the elusive firmware for this beast but at the end (I hope!) of my journey I need someone to guide me who has "been there, done that"...
I tracked down the ADSL firmware for Speedtouch modems at: http://www.technicolor.com/GlobalEnglish/broadband-uk/Drivers-Firmwares/Pages/default.aspx , my questions are:
1. I saw a reference to the lastest firmware being version 6.2T - does that match anything on the page above?
2. If it doesn't match - does the "6-2-H-5" version look about right?
3. Is there a PDF which guides one through the upgrade process - I saw mention of TFTP and such like and it didn't sound very "friendly" but I have only bricked one PC BIOS in my life so maybe better luck this time...
FYI I have two 716WLs - one that has VoIP working at firmware Product Name: ST716v5, Serial Number: CP0535JTDZD, Software Release: 6.2.29.2 and the other is at 6.2.17.5 that doesn't. Obviously I am hoping to upgrade the latter.
Many thanks in advance... BR
PS If I did find the right link then please add to some guide somewhere as I think that ST have tried to hide any and all information that is useful to consumers from Google's prying eyes - maybe they only want to sell through ISPs etc...
7 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Firmware for Speedtouch ST 716WL v5 Voip ADSL

I have the same router and I am running firmware 6.1.7.2
Depending on who supplied  the router you may not be able to upgrade the firmware (isp Locked)
I have never needed to update any of my speedtouch 716wl routers.  In addition some newer updates caused even more problems
If you need any settings for the 716wl routers and voip setting just give me a shout?
puddy
PNet4um
Grafter

Just for the record and in case anyone with a similar problem sees this...
The router config has at least 2 if not 3 places where you provide a country code - hence I assumed that the firmware was multi-lingual / multi-country etc... NOT SO... the firmware has an extra code - mine WAS the BV variant - I didn't spot that meant Dutch until I went back to the ST and tried again to get it to work...
After applying the Generic (inc. UK) version of the firmware at the earlier release 6.2.17.5 using the ST firmware tool rather than TFTP it eventually worked... Smiley
puddy
Grafter

I must say speedtouchs new owner as the worst web pages I have ever come across, it not easy finding your way a round.
I had to google for updated firmware before finding newer firmware.  The updating tool does not work in windows 7 64bit I had to run it under win 7 compabilty tool for win xp
Puddy
MrC
Grafter

Have you tried the www.modem-help.co.uk site? If you click on that link you'll see they seem to list 6.2T as the most recent.
PNet4um
Grafter

Quote from: MrC
Have you tried the www.modem-help.co.uk site? If you click on that link you'll see they seem to list 6.2T as the most recent.

Thanks MrC - I THINK that WAS the site I downloaded the (now working) firmware from but I got so confused at different odd-ball sites - as Puddy says - as a vendor of hardware which is reliant on firmware, their sites are a disaster - especially the (main?) technicolour one...
However, I now have a new challenge - I am wanting to buy a VoIP router for a person that I introduced to Plusnet BB and WAS thinking of using Speedtouch again - DigiDave (eBay) has stopped selling 716WLs at present but I guess I should at least move to the next hardware level - 780 or even the 784 but I don't seem to find many places that sell them which worries me about support in later years...
Obviously there are other manufacturers aimed at the business market but their prices are way out of line with what is needed - anyone have any suggestions for a cheap (£100 abs. max, ideally half that) VoIP Wireless router and supplier thereof? If there was a DigiDave equivalent for 780s that would be ideal.
BTW Puddy - if you happen to spot an eBay link for one of those cheap Nokia 'phones (E60?/5?) that do VoIP then please post it or PM as I am not very proficient at eBay and could end up buying a lemon. I do have an E90 Communicator working for a year of two now but I do get some stick from those people who think it's a brick - I prefer to refer to it as a first generation smartphone but I usually get LoL...
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: PNet4um
However, I now have a new challenge - I am wanting to buy a VoIP router for a person that I introduced to Plusnet BB and WAS thinking of using Speedtouch again - DigiDave (eBay) has stopped selling 716WLs at present but I guess I should at least move to the next hardware level - 780 or even the 784 but I don't seem to find many places that sell them which worries me about support in later years...

The ST780 SpeedTouch routers haven't been produced for a good few years now although they're still good performers. They come up on Ebay now and again (eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290482576348&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT).
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: PNet4um

Have a look on Amazon someone advertises 2nd hand speedtouch 716wl does much the same as the speedtouch 780wl both have built in voip ports
Kind regards
Puddy