cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre - Voip and Broadband phone Availability

Roblinproductio

Fibre - Voip and Broadband phone Availability

Hello fellow members
As a Force9 pro account holder I decided to ask about moving over to fibre. I also thought it wise to ask about being able to keep my 'Broadband Phone 240' feature as well as being able to continue to use my other voip service with and outside provider (Sipgate). I have been told that I will loose access to any voip over fibre. Can this realy be true or do the account retention staff have incorect information.
I had planned to bring in my land line from BT at the same time but if loss of voip is true then I think I had better stay put with keeping my 'eggs' in seperate baskets.
many thanks in antisipation of an informed answer.
Robin
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Fibre - Voip and Broadband phone Availability

'sounds absolute rubbish to me!.
Voip will work fine over a Fibre connection. As to whether you keep your 'Broadband Phone 240'  when changing account, then it has always been that you can keep any existing 'extras' such as voip minutes, web space etc when changing from legacy accounts.
I'm sure one of the Digital Care team will pick this up tomorrow and confirm...
Fixes: 101

Well i moved from ADSL2 to Fibre and my phone continues to work well. Agree with MisterW, it's rubbish.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Roblinproductio

Many thanks for the prompt response.
I will wait and see if the Digital Care team pickup before I attempt to upgrade again.
I have been with Force9 since the mid 90's and took up adsl in 2005. In that time I have had little to do with sales staff and just a couple of occasions where I needed to to talk to tech support. Each contact has been in line with the TV adds and while the tone of the staff I spoke to today was good, it seems that the four different people I spoke with did not realy know the answer to what I see as a basic question. Perhaps I am cought somewhere between business and domestic customer needs.
I will keep you informed of the outcome.
Regards
Robin
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

You'll keep your VoIP account Robin, apologies for the misinformation. I'll make sure the person you spoke to is suitably educated :mand:

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Roblinproductio

Thanks Bob
I will follow through as origionaly planned.
Sorry BT but you do own a fair part of Plusnet so not a total loss!
Trust my fixed IP will follow me too. It will be a pain getting the VOIP up without it.
Again thanks to all for setting the matter straight.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Once you've requested the account change, I would suggest rasiing a 'ticket' noting the features you need to retain i.e voip accout and fixed ip. That way they shouldn't get 'forgotten' during the account change.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I'll make sure the person you spoke to is suitably educated :mand:

I wondered who'd inherited that. Couldn't be in better hands.
(Note to long-standing forum members - hit 'quote' on Bob's post to see what that smiley is called. As if you couldn't guess.)
Community Veteran

You don't need to hit quote - just hover the pointer over it...
Simon_M
Grafter

I do with my OS/browser/settings combination.
I did dig a bit further, out of idle curiosity & I see that the Alt Text is 'Mands Lecturing Tool'. Not sure Mand would have been happy about the missing apostrophe!
Anyway, back to the topic ...
Roblinproductio

Saturday (31st March) spoke with staff who seemed better informed this time and they even did as 'MisterW' recommeded in raising a ticket with the important issues of transfer before I mentioned it.
I wait now to see how the next phase of transfer goes with FTTC broadband (11th April) and landline (18th).
I will update the thread with how things go.
Roblinproductio

Delay with the fibre as moving my telephone number into plusnet has to take place first according to the latest update.
Roblinproductio

The transfer of VOIP and fixed IP both went without a hitch and I can confirm after several months of use all is well.
However I did have a serious delay in getting logged in as the BT engineer did not port me across correctly in the box on the street.
Shame as he was very nice with the installation and movement of the master box over the cat5 cable I had installed for the job.