cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extention Phone not working with Broadband set up

CAZ1605com

Extention Phone not working with Broadband set up

I have just moved from a Dial Up system to Broadband and plus net and very new.  My previous set up was: main telephone socket downstairs with an extension telephone cable wired to a telephone socket t the office upstairs where the PC is and another telephone.  When the router arrived I connected to the PC placing the router cable in a micro filter, and also connected a micro filter into the main telephone socket where the telephone cable and the extension cable is inserted.  Everything works OK, I have broadband on the PC and the downstairs telephone works OK, the only problem I have now is that I am unable to have a telephone upstairs in the office, no telephone line seems to be available and just sounds dead.  Is there anything I can do to have another phone working or is there another piece of equipment I need to make this work.  Appreciate any help given.  Thank you.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Extention Phone not working with Broadband set up

Is the router plugged in upstairs or downstairs?
You shouldn't need anything extra. Any chance of drawing a before and after diagram?
It's usually the phone that works and the broadband doesn't, except in the rare situation of a single broken wire. Phones need 2 wires to work, broadband can run (very slowly) on one!
xpcomputers
Grafter

Have you tried swapping the micro filters over (put upstairs one downstairs and downstairs one upstairs). If the 'broken' phone moves with the filter, then you know it is a dodgy filter and can replace that micro filter for a few pounds (or PlusNet might send you a new one for free if they sent it to you and you've proved it is dodgy).
If the problem stays upstairs when the microfilters are swapped, then it is a problem with either your phone wiring in the house or your placement of the microfilters.
You should also try swapping the phones over upstairs & downstairs, so you can see if the problem moves or stays. If the problem moves downstairs, then hyour phone doesn't like wworking through a filter, if the problem stays, then it proves it is a filter placement OR a internal wiring problem.
A diagram of some sort would help here either way.
Generally speaking each device has to pass through one filter (and one filter only) and must pass through the correct side of it. If you were pre-filtering the upstairs extension off the ADSL side of the filter downstairs you would see this behaviour, but there could be other causes too.
So a few questions:
How does the extension wiring connect to the main socket?
Is it wired inside it, or a splitter plugged into the socket?
If the latter, where is the fillter in relation to this splitter and which side of the filter (ADSL or Phone) is used for which bit?
Mike
Community Veteran

I had a couple PM's yesterday from the OP with more information and in response asked them to put all the information here for everyones benefit and consideration and a public response.
Hopefully they will do so soon...... Undecided
xpcomputers
Grafter

Just re-read your question (seeing that you said the extension was inserted into the main socket), and so as well as checking and replying to my above tests and questions, can you also make sure that the extension is the first item into the master socket, then into the socket it provides you plug in the micro filter (eg after the extension) then plug the downstairs phone into the micro filter (phone side). the downstairs ADSL side of the filter should be empty. Is this correct?
The other way to say this is:-
It should be wired downstairs like it was before you got broadband except that you unplug ONLY the downstairs phone's own cord from its socket and insert the filter inbetween there (using only the phone side of the filter).
If after trying these checks and the tests in my previous post, you still have problems, then come back with answers to the questions and we'll try to help further.
Mike