cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Existing PSTN number porting

FelixBellaby

Existing PSTN number porting

Plusnet normally sets up a new number on a broadband account holder's local exchange and ports it to the account holder's VOIP line.
I understand from the Gradwell site that they can port an existing PSTN number provided by BT to one of their VOIP lines (http://www.gradwell.net/phoneservices/keepmynumber).
Is this service available with Plusnet VOIP through its contract with Gradwell ?
11 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Existing PSTN number porting

FelixBellaby

Thanks.
Does adding an outbound number using this mechanism mean that inbound calls to that number are directed to the VOIP line and that the previous supplier ceases the line?
If so, then I am not sure that describing this service as adding an "outbound number" fully describes the effect.
itsme
Grafter

Sorry the link I supplied is not for porting but only for changing the Caller Line identification. I'm sure they was a posting on this forum several months ago about porting. PN/Gradwell should be able to do it as it's probably an OFCOM requirement.
FelixBellaby

You seemed to involved in a discussion of this issue in June 2008:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,65514.msg525343.html
However, I am not sure that the thread came to a firm conclusion on what was possible and how.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: FelixBellaby
Plusnet normally sets up a new number on a broadband account holder's local exchange and ports it to the account holder's VOIP line.

More things are possable with Gradwell VOIP service but you must remember/take in to account plusnet VOIP service is free of charge plus we get free minutes.
Gradwell charge to rent a normal STD number its £2 per month and charge for other services including calls
I think for a free service its great
Puddy
FelixBellaby

I agree that Plusnet offer a good deal on VOIP.
However, one of the biggest reasons why people DO NOT switch to VOIP is that they want to retain their existing numbers. If Plusnet is looking for new customers then it would undoubtedly be their own interests to offer the porting of external numbers to those customers. They could even benefit from charging for this service (Gradwell charge £20 a time).
OFCOM has fought a long battle to try and force telephony providers to allow the porting of their numbers to other providers. They have managed to force mobile companies to do it for no charge and they are now trying to make this process easier for the customer. Fixed line providers are effectively obliged to port their numbers to providers on the same fixed line and EU law is likely to force them to port them to other lines as well. These obligations work against the interests of the existing providers as they help customers move to other providers.
I am about to transfer my client's phone and broadband services to Plusnet. I would like to be able to retain their Plusnet provided PSTN number when they moves offices in 2011 by transferring it to a Plusnet VOIP account. If Plusnet does not provide porting of their own numbers by 2011 then I might need to switch to Gradwell before my client moves offices. Given the inconvenience, it might be better for me to switch to Gradwell right now. This would mean that Plusnet would lose a customer for failing to provide a service that their sub-contractor offers and that I would be willing to pay for.
itsme
Grafter

Sipgate does porting and there is no 'rental' charges. www.sipgate.co.uk. I'm sure that PN will do it, have you raised a ticket with the question? One thing to be aware of if the broadband is on the number to be ported that with the BT system a renumber sometimes is done be a cease and provide which normally mean that broadband is lost and a charge is asked to reprovide it.
puddy
Grafter

I agree that Plusnet offer a good deal on VOIP.
However, one of the biggest reasons why people DO NOT switch to VOIP is that they want to retain their existing numbers. If Plusnet is looking for new customers then it would undoubtedly be their own interests to offer the porting of external numbers to those customers. They could even benefit from charging for this service (Gradwell charge £20 a time).

One of the reason's most people sign up to plusnet voip service is that it allows us to have an extra phone line without paying line rental
OFCOM has fought a long battle to try and force telephony providers to allow the porting of their numbers to other providers. They have managed to force mobile companies to do it for no charge and they are now trying to make this process easier for the customer.

Most mobile phone companies I use dont port normal 01 std telephone number
I am about to transfer my client's phone and broadband services to Plusnet. I would like to be able to retain their Plusnet provided PSTN number when they moves offices in 2011 by transferring it to a Plusnet VOIP account. If Plusnet does not provide porting of their own numbers by 2011 then I might need to switch to Gradwell before my client moves offices. Given the inconvenience, it might be better for me to switch to Gradwell right now. This would mean that Plusnet would lose a customer for failing to provide a service that their sub-contractor offers and that I would be willing to pay for.

I would never assign a voip number or even list a voip number on any letterheaded paper or business cards at present, its a new service and one which had loads of  problems.
One user I know has been left dangling with an error which means one of their voip phone wont ring since last week and plusnet have still not found a fix.  If you want top rate voip company who will fix a fault within 2 hour windows then dont choose Plusnet choose Gradwell but you will have to pay for it
Puddy
ps you state your cleint what type of account do they have? if its a company they may be asked to change from a home user account to business account which may have different charges or rules
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
I would never assign a voip number or even list a voip number on any letterheaded paper or business cards at present, its a new service and one which had loads of  problems.

That's all we have on ours & it's been like that since 2005. We needed the calls to be answered at any or all of the 5 small offices we have spread around the country & it's a very cost effective way of doing it.
I suspect a lot of big businesses also rely heavily on VoIP systems, but then they are not relying on a free Plusnet account to do it (& nor are we, although we do use one as a second line & we do publish it).
Granted, the system has not been without a few problems, but it has meant that we have had Instant Messaging & Presence notification (busy, on the phone, out to lunch, whatever) on our phones for very little outlay. We are scattered all round the country, but are more tightly integrated than most groups working in a single building.
FelixBellaby

@itse:
I am encouraged that you think that PN may cooperate.
Thanks for suggesting sipgate as an alternative. I am now inclined to move my client to a PN business account in the expectation that their number can be ported by one means or another when it becomes necessary.
@puddy:
The problem that I am trying to address is how a business can retain a single number while moving to a different geographical locations. Fixed line PSTN numbers are very inflexible and are basically tied to an exchange. However, once a PSTN number is ported to VOIP then it is accessible from anywhere in the world, but this advantage is lost if you have to sacrifice the phone number that you have built your business around.
My client has the luxury of a central London number, but is so geographically diverse that retaining the fixed PSTN line behind that number is a hopelessly uneconomic option. I want to keep the number and throw away the fixed line, so porting it to VOIP is a logical solution.
@Simon M:
I think that PSTN is mainly perceived as being more reliable than VOIP because we have leant to live with the crackles on an anologue local loop connection, but still baulk at the poor latency and dropped connections that the same crackles can cause to the ADSL link under VOIP. People with good local loop connections see little difference in the quality, while those with a bad local loop get to a different picture. Strangely, the exact same problems that worry people with VOIP are accepted as part of the service with a mobile phone.
Once you get to the exchange then everything is digital anyhow and the only possible differences are from the additional technical errors at the ISP on top of the shared technical errors by BT. I would imagine that any technical errors in the PlusNet VOIP service are shared with the rest of the Gradwell system. PlusNet does not do much more than pass an IP connection from their servers to the servers at Gradwell. If PN were making a mess of doing that then their whole broadband service would be a mess. Futhermore, I doubt that Gradwell offers a better quality of service to customers paying a few pounds a month than it offers to a fully fledged subsidiary of BT.
The most significant problem that I have encountered with telephony was down to a bureaucratic mix up between the accounts departments of the BT Retail and BT Wholesale division. This meant total loss of service for a month and required a letter to the BT CEO to fix. Most of the rest of the problems have been from wind, rain or workmen digging holes. Any problems with VOIP pale into insignificance.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Sipgate does porting and there is no 'rental' charges. www.sipgate.co.uk.

I have a Sipgate account but Nokia E65 wont logon.  Sipgate sent me the account detail via a text message but they did not work either.
A friend who got a E65 could not register on Sipgate either my partner had the same problem with her E65 mobile so it’s not just my Nokia E65 but it works on my Nokia N95
Puddy