Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difficulty dialling out with SJPhone

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Difficulty dialling out with SJPhone

I've just got my new Broadband Phone (VOIP) activated and am having trouble getting started. I'm using SJPhone with a headset to test it out.
After putting the settings into SJPhone as per the instructions at http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/setup/sjphonepc.shtml I go to dial a number but a box keeps popping up asking for the account name and password. This is pre-filled but I have even typed over it and nothing happens when I press OK.
One thing I have noticed is that the Proxy URI box keeps changing from nat.plus.net:5082 to sip:nat.plus.net:5082 after I press OK and then take another look.
I changed the SIP password when I got my email but I've even tried the old one and that doesn't make any difference either.
Does anybody know what I might be doing wrong please?
Annie
14 REPLIES
Annie
Rising Star

Re: Difficulty dialling out with SJPhone

In addition to the problem above, I have called my new VOIP number from my landline and the voicemail gives out a different extension number than the one that belongs to me. I also have not received an email notification of the messages I left.
Annie
puddy
Grafter

Some users say there’s a problem using sjphone when running vista.
myself I never got running  I found hardware (listed in other post) easier to setup than a software phone.
If you’re not sure your account been setup properly you need to raise a ticket plusnet will check that your account works their end

puddy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

In addition to the problem above, I have called my new VOIP number from my landline and the voicemail gives out a different extension number than the one that belongs to me. I also have not received an email notification of the messages I left.

That does sound like there is maybe an account issue. The extension number that is announced should be the one shown in your voip control panel ( the seven digit number ).
As Puddy says , raise a ticket or give CSC a call.
One thing I have noticed is that the Proxy URI box keeps changing from nat.plus.net:5082 to sip:nat.plus.net:5082 after I press OK and then take another look.

That's normal.
After putting the settings into SJPhone as per the instructions at http://www.plus.net/suppo...one/setup/sjphonepc.shtml I go to dial a number but a box keeps popping up asking for the account name and password. This is pre-filled but I have even typed over it and nothing happens when I press OK.

That tends to indicate the account/password is not being accepted.
Annie
Rising Star

Thank you for the replies. I have been in touch with Support and they tell me I have to wait up to 24 hours:
"Whilst I can see that your basic account has been created things such as your geographic number are still in the process of being allocated, which is why they are not fully functional at present.
Please allow up to 24 hours from when you first requested the number for this to become active."

Once this gets sorted, do I need to change anything in my router? I've been reading about ports and stuff needing to be unblocked. I have a Netgear DG834GT.
Also, just a couple more questions for now:
1) I have no desire to leave Plusnet but I'm just wondering if these geographic numbers are portable if I ever did want to change my VOIP provider.
2) I will be moving house in a few months time - will my new number remain after the move, even though I'll be moving exchanges?
Annie
Community Veteran

1) I have no desire to leave Plusnet but I'm just wondering if these geographic numbers are portable if I ever did want to change my VOIP provider.

Not sure , but I don't think so.
2) I will be moving house in a few months time - will my new number remain after the move, even though I'll be moving exchanges?

Your Voip number is associated with your PlusNet voip account and has nothing to do with your location. In reality most people request a voip number in the same locality
as their normal landline but there is no reason not to have one in another area. Put it this way , i'm currently in Portugal using a USB mobile broadband modem and if I started up my SjPhone you could call me on my voip UK geographical number!!
Once this gets sorted, do I need to change anything in my router? I've been reading about ports and stuff needing to be unblocked. I have a Netgear DG834GT.

You should not need to open any ports on your router. SjPhone should work just fine ( as long as your OS is not Vista! ).
RichSmol
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW

yeh - it also depends on whether Gradwell (our suppliers) have an outbound porting agreement with the recipient of the number.

Yeh - its a virtual number. It has an exchange location attached to that number but its insignificant as its traversing the IP network.
Annie
Rising Star

Thank you for the follow ups.
I've had a ticket in at support since Monday as there seems to be something wrong with my VOIP - I can't get connected and someone else answered the phone when I rang the geographical number. Am looking forward to when this might be sorted so I can give it a try and get going.
Annie
RichSmol
Grafter

Hi Annie - could you PM me with your username and/or ticket reference and i'll get this moving this morning - it seems you've changed your community site username recently and it hasnt updated in our CRM so cant find your account at the moment.
RichSmol
Grafter

Your account is completely broken. Never come across anything like it to be honest. The PSTN number has either been removed by another agent accidently or it never got attached on account creation. As a result the extension number doesnt actually point to anything and i reckon thats probably having a knock on effect on the registration side of things. As for the dialogue box, try Xlite as they seem to of ironed out a few bugs now which were evident when we launched the service and might be a little more forgiving in terms of ease of setup.
I'm going to have to re-create your package and account which may lead to a new extension number and pstn number. That ok?
Annie
Rising Star

Hi Rich,
Sorry I haven't replied sooner - I've been out. I've replied on the ticket system. Basically, I'm waiting for the connection to get sorted but I understand that it's going to take a little time.
The thing that concerns me is that your email quoted the same geographical number as the previous one and when I rang it the other day, somebody else answered. I didn't want to try it again in case he thinks I'm stalking him!  Grin
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

I can't believe how long it is taking to resolve my issue. My ticket, number 28031483, hasn't been responded to since Saturday and I still can't connect. I have to say that, in all my time as a Plusnet customer (about 9 years), I've not known the service to be so poor.
Annie
RichSmol
Grafter

Your account should be sorted now - I've emailed all your account details on the support ticket as well...I've tested it and all works fine now and i've made sure the correct CLI is being passed.
Let me know if there are any other issues.
Annie
Rising Star

Thank you Rich. Yes the phone is now working.
I found that SJPhone provided an echo to the person at the other end. We are now using X-Lite which is much better but sometimes when the two people speak almost on top of each other, I hear a slight buzz (like zzz) just at the end of a sentence on the USB phone. We are considering getting a wireless VOIP phone. Do you think this will eradicate the buzzing noise?
Also, am I right in assuming that these VOIP phones that use the router don't require software such as X-ite?
Annie
Community Veteran

We are considering getting a wireless VOIP phone. Do you think this will eradicate the buzzing noise?

If you mean something like the Siemens DECT IP phones , then you shouldnt notice any quality
difference between a landline or voip call.
Also, am I right in assuming that these VOIP phones that use the router don't require software such as X-ite?

Yes, you dont require any software, these phones operate independently of your computer. Although you can always use
the softphone on your computer as well.