Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialing 999

Highlighted
salts
Grafter

Dialing 999

Hi,
We had a call on Monday, purportedly from Emergency services checking that all was okay, my wife just assumed it was my son accidentally dialling 999. However there is no record of any outgoing calls that day, could it have been a scam? They asked for some basic details like name and address but nothing further.
Strangely the number they dialled to call the VOIP phone was an 05601 rather than the geographic number that has been allocated to the phone (01202).
Should a call to 999 show up in my Outgoing Calls list?
Who has access to the 05601 number that is allocated to my Voip phone?
Any ideas?
Paul
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Dialing 999

Sounds like a scam, trying to allocate VOIP numbers to real addresses for some dubious purpose.  Angry
petergradwell
Grafter

hi - the 056 number is that which is used at the moment to pass the right address across to the 999 people, and to tell them it's a VoIP call. And no, 999 calls don't go in your billed call records at the moment.
pcoventry
Grafter

HPsauce,
No other VoIP service that I know of allows the user to call 999. In my view this makes ours the best around.
itsme
Grafter

Believe it's now a legal requirement to supply the emergency services with the addresses of users that have been allocated a voip number and it seem a 999 service. Ofcom quote below.

Complainant: Ofcom own-initiative investigation
Investigation against: Communications Providers and Network Operators who provide/enable Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephony services to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)
Case opened: 8 September 2008
Issue: Access to Emergency Call Numbers using VoIP telephony services and the provision of caller location information where required.
Relevant Instrument: General Condition 4 of the General Conditions of Entitlement (“GC 4”)
From 8 September revisions to General Condition 4 came into force. These revisions mean that VoIP providers who enable their users to make calls to the PSTN (i.e. make calls to telephone numbers) must provide the ability to make “999” and “112” emergency calls. The Network Operator must also provide Caller Location Information for calls to the emergency call numbers, to the extent that is technically feasible. These requirements already apply to fixed line and mobile communications providers. In its policy statement of 5 December 2007 (see related item) Ofcom stated that, in relation to VoIP calls, ‘technically feasible’ should be taken to mean that location information need only be provided where the VoIP service is being used at a predominantly fixed location.
This enforcement programme will collect information and evidence from VoIP providers, network operators and call handling agents (who pass calls through to the emergency services) in order to monitor compliance and take enforcement action if required.
Separately, Ofcom also has an ongoing own-initiative enforcement programme on GC 4 which is looking at Communications Providers operating fixed networks (see related item for more details
RichSmol
Grafter

It is a legal requirement - we knew about this a long time ago hence why we decided to move to a Gradwell run platform. We also made plenty of content changes to reflect our stance on CLI management, routing of 999 calls and a number of changes to allow the service more accessible to those with special requirements. it technical terms we moved our voip service from a PECS (Public Electronic Communications service) to a PATS (Public Access Telephony service) - PATS compliance rules are pretty much the same as the HomePhone regulatory items now. Those changes were rolled out during the first week of September, obviously our platform has been compliant for a number of months - the content didnt match the platform capability so those were the only changes we needed to make.
I wrote a blog about it all...
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/10/09/broadband-phone-voip-enhancements/
Tongue