cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

De-activate Broadband phone

cantello

De-activate Broadband phone

Hi guys,
Appear to have jumped the gun here. My broadband phone account was activated this afternoon (though I haven't the appropriate software/hardware installed yet).
Unfortunately I am now unable to 'dial-up,' through PC, my soon to be terminated ISP. I still need to access to e-mail on old account. Can account be terminated and set up again in about a week's time?
Help appreciated,
Dave.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: De-activate Broadband phone

Are you sure you're talking about a Broadband phone account ?
Activating that on an existing PlusNet broadband account will have no affect on any ability to dial-up another ISP using a modem.
Are you really talking about a new Broadband account with PlusNet as that would make sense particularly as you refer to a soon to be terminated ISP ?
If this is the case then if you did not have broadband before and it has now been activated on your phone line it will interfere with any phones or modems unless you fit a broadband filter to the socket into which the phone or dialup modem is plugged. These filters are normally supplied with your Broadband modem/router hardware but if you havent got that yet you wont have any.  If you need one quickly you could probably get one from Maplin or PCWorld.
Here's an example http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99540&criteria=dsl%20filter&doy=7m8
( note the Modem socket in the picture is for the Broadband modem , your dialup modem should be plugged into the phone socket )

Hope that helps
cantello

Ian,
Thanks for your reply.
Plusnet Broadband was activated on Tuesday and internet connectivity was established quite easily, (using two microfilters as you describe).
Dial-up was unaffected until the moment I received notice that the broadband phone account (Voip) was active. Seny query to Support and short time later dial-up worked again. (??) Baffled as to whether there was a link but pleased it's resolved.
Regards,
Dave.
Community Veteran

How strange , I'm somwhat baffled too.
Really cant see what activating Broadband phone can do to affect your ability to use a dial up modem.
Only thing I can think of that could have caused a problem is if somehow your phone line was prevented from
sending CLI and your old ISP was using that to check where you were dialing from. Activating Braodband phone shouldnt have any effect on this though...
Maybe if we're lucky someone from PlusNet might pop in here and explain what could have happened
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've just been looking into this and I can't see any reason why dialup would have stopped working after activating the Broadband Phone service.
Both Broadband Phone and Dialup components show as being active, so this shouldn't cause any issues.
Community Veteran

Dave,
Must have just been a coincidence. Like James I really can't see any possible connection between Broadband Phone and loss of dialup.