cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring SIP on Draytek Vigor 2820

notknowhow
Dabbler

Configuring SIP on Draytek Vigor 2820

Tell me if I've got this all wrong but.....
I've orderd broad band phone and I've been given a landline number along with some settings. I've plugged a normal landline phone into the phone1/2 socket in the router and now I'm trying to configure the SIP Account (numbeer 1) on the VoIP section of the router config so that I can use the phone (to all intents and purposes) as a normal phone.
Plusnet phone support can't help (they only support softphone), Vigor cant help bar directing me to their website which has some pretty usefull info on it from which I have tried to extract the correct settings but I cant get the thing to work.
As I understand it ... I should get an 'R' under status but no sign of that happening.
Can anyone help out?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Configuring SIP on Draytek Vigor 2820

Hi notknowhow,
Ok, well I don't use a 2820 for voip ( but I do have a pair of them I use for VPN in the office ) but I do use PlusNet voip so I'll give it a try...
Looking at page 172/3 of the manual regarding SIP account settings
The information you need to set is:-
Profile Name - whatever you like ( I suggest PlusNet )
Register via - Auto
Sip Port - 5060
Domain/Realm - sip.plus.net
Proxy - natproxy.plus.net:5082
Act As Outbound Proxy - checked
Display Name - <your allocated number>
Account Number/Name - <your 7 digit SIP id>
Authentication ID - need not be checked since its the same as account name
Password - <your sip password> ( note this may be different to the one used to access voip.plus.net )
Expiry Time - 1 Hour
Nat Traversal Support - None
Let's try that lot for starters and see if it registers, we may need to tweak some other settings , codec's etc but it should at least register with those settings.

notknowhow
Dabbler

those look like the right sort of settings but it's not registering so far!?
notknowhow
Dabbler

Hi, Sorry I meant to say.... your help is very much appreciated thank you.
I have tried those settings in there and I have double checked them all. 
I wonder what else I could try?
Thanks again
Community Veteran

How recent is your account ?
I wonder if it's been setup correctly, there have been some instances in the past where the accounts weren't properly created on the Gradwell systems ( in case you weren't ware Gradwell provide the voip on behalf of PlusNet ).
Can you login to the voip portal ( voip.plus.net ) ok ?

Edit: on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=76564.0 shamus at reply #7 gives the settings he has working on a 2820v.
He seems to have the proxy set to sip.plus.net, the Use as Outbound proxy unchecked and the sip id repeated in the Authentication ID field.
Give those settings a try.
notknowhow
Dabbler

Hi, yes I can log into that OK. It is asking me (in big red box) to reveiw the followinf recommended actions - set up address for extensions. I have tried that and it wont process but I assume this isn't the problem being a recommended action rather than a necessary action.
Community Veteran

Sorry , we cross posted. That sounds a bit like the account isn't completely setup. It's asking you ( i presume ) to fill in address details to be used when dialing emergency numbers. If it won't accept the information then it maybe the extension ( sip id ) isn't fully setup.
Edit:- will the voip control panel let you select the extension ( click on it ) from the Account Overview page, it should display the details for the extension.
notknowhow
Dabbler

Hi Yes, I'm starting to wonder if that isn't it. It also asked me to give a max amount of credit to use in one day and it kind of suggests its on pay as you go when it is supposed to be on anytime minutes.
Should I call/email Gradwell do you think? I get the feeling (from the last few phone calls I made) that Plusnet technical support are a bit out of thier depth with the whole broadband phone thing.
notknowhow
Dabbler

ps. I've got 3 of these on a VPN .... I didn't set them up myself though and I'm very thankful for that.
Community Veteran

It also asked me to give a max amount of credit to use in one day

It still will ask for that to be set, since your Anytime minutes are only to 01,02,03 numbers so other calls would still be chargeable.
Should I call/email Gradwell do you think?

They won't talk directly to you I'm afraid, since its PlusNet's job to provide first line Voip support.
I get the feeling (from the last few phone calls I made) that Plusnet technical support are a bit out of their depth with the whole broadband phone thing.

I think you're right there though, AFAIK Martin Dean is the main voip expert who visits the forums.
Hopefully one of the Digital Care team will pick up this thread tomorrow and get someone to check your account.
If that doesn't happen then I suggest dropping Martin a PM asking if he could possibly check the account.
notknowhow
Dabbler

Ok Thanks so much for your help with that. First time I've ever registered with and left a message on a forum and I was very surprised to get a reply let alone one so quick and helpful... many thanks again to you for that.
notknowhow
Dabbler

oooh could you just tell me what a PM is and how would I ensure that Martin Dean gets it rather than anyone else?
Community Veteran

Ok Thanks so much for your help with that

No problem, voip is a particular interest of mine so I like to try and help where possible. It's just a shame that there isn't much else I can help with until we know if the account is setup properly.
I've got 3 of these on a VPN .... I didn't set them up myself though and I'm very thankful for that.

I use a 2700HGV ( aka BT Business Hub ) at home and in the office. The office one is connected directly to our main firewall system but one of our clients needs access to a system we host for him. It was up until recently done via ISDN but it was getting more and more difficult to support so we suggested using ADSL and a VPN instead. I needed to setup a separate VPN outside of our firewall and so needed another router capable of IPSec VPN. The 2820 was ideal since it meant we could use the same make/model of router at both ends ( easier to support ) , ours is connected via WAN2 ( Ethernet ) to our existing 2700HGV and there's is direct onto the ADSL line via WAN1. The VPN was a breeze to setup and I can remotely manage both ends.
Community Veteran

ooh could you just tell me what a PM is and how would I ensure that Martin Dean gets it rather than anyone else?

PM is short for Personal Message, it enables you to send a message directly to a forum user.
I'm trying to find the Help pages rather than posting a detailed guide...
Edit: Ok , simplest way is to go to this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91398.0.html. Martin has posted in there at reply #7, just below his avatar ( picture ) there are three icons, hover over the the righthand one with the mouse and it should say 'Personal Message', click it and it should take you to a Message form with the To field already filled in with Martins username, fill in the subject and message text and click send message.
puddy
Grafter

I have retired my old Speedtouch 716wl and have started using a Draytek 2710 n wireless router

@notknowhow
 This is the page you need
http://www.draytel.org/user-guide#draytekvoip Pick your router out 2800 series
I would have listed the settings but their are a couple of pages
Change/cross referance the settings MisterW gave you for plusnets voip service
Puddy