cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco Phones

mickycollis
Grafter

Cisco Phones

I am thinking about getting  a Cisco voip phone how do i set it up to work my Voip account
58 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Cisco Phones

welcome to the forums mickycollis Smiley
each phone will be different, though there are generally similar settings across all devices.
Will Moderate For Thanks
mickycollis
Grafter

Hi
Thanks.
As i am a bit thick  Crazy when it comes to the phone side. I know this will be plugged into my switch. but will i need to do anything with the router or is this all done by configs on the phone? 
Please Help
Thanks

it'll all be done on the phone, more than likely through a web interface accessed from your pc.
Will Moderate For Thanks
mickycollis
Grafter

Hi
Thanks For the quick replys  cannot complain about plus nets service because its been great but my VOIP service was meant to be activated yesterday i was meant to get a welcome message thru today at the latest and i still have not getting anthing yet. So if i do not get it tomorrow i will have to give them a ring up.
I hear you get exts what are these used for?
Regards
Michael
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Hi,
It can sometimes take a little longer than 24 hours to activate your voip account. The actual voip service is subcontracted ( by PlusNet ) to Gradwell and so communication between them and PlsuNet can someimes add time to the activation process.
I hear you get exts what are these used for?

Do you mean extensions ? if so that's what you allocated sip id is referred to as.
With your voip account you are allocated a phone number ( PSTN number )  and a sip id ( 7 digit number ) , this combination is referred to in the voip control panel ( voip.plus.net ) as an extension ( it is SORT OF an extension on the Gradwell voip PABX ). In principle a voip account can have more than one extension but I don't bleieve that PlsuNet offer that service anymore.
You use the sip id to register ( login from your phone ) to the voip service which then allows you to make calls.
In addition the service knows you are on-line and any calls to your allocated PSTN number are routed to your phone.
As an aside, was there any particular reason why you were looking at the Cisco phones ? there are cheaper and just as good alternatives, including DECT phones, out there. Post back if you would like more info.
mickycollis
Grafter

Hi
The reason i am talking about cisco is because my friend have giving me one. They used to have them in their office at work and they got a whole new system in with VOIPS so i got his old one.
so if you know someone elses extention you could pick yout pne up and dial it?
Thanks for the quick reply
Micky

Do you know the model number? it's possible that it might not work as a stand alone device.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

The reason i am talking about cisco is because my friend have giving me one

Ah, that explains it. Smiley
As dvorak says, a model number would be useful. IIRC some Cisco voip phones don't support SIP, which is the standard protocol needed to use the PlusNet voip system.
so if you know someone elses extention you could pick yout pne up and dial it?
Yes, if the destination is a Plusnet ( or Gradwell ) voi phone and you know the 7 digit extension then you can just dial that from your phone. The call is free since it  is a voip->voip call and does not go out to the PSTN network. If you know the destinations allocated  PSTN number, you can dial that instead, the voip server is clever enough to know that the PSTN number you dial is actually one of its own voip extensions and routes the call directly. You can also make free voip calls to other voip networks by using what's called a sip URI, for a plusnet phone its <sip id>@sip.plus.net. It can be difficult, however, to dial those from most phones since they don't have '@'  or '.' keys. There are alternatives between some voip providers called peering prefixes which only use '*' and numbers. Of course you can always call a normal PSTN number but that is chargeable unless you have included minutes on your account.
mickycollis
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
Do you know the model number? it's possible that it might not work as a stand alone device.

Hi Yes the model is Cisco IP Phone 7911. When i asked the person on the phone he said yeah that would work as a stand a lone
Regards

Assuming it has the right firmware it should be ok.
Will Moderate For Thanks
mickycollis
Grafter

Thats What that man says. But i cannot do anything because the service is not up and running yet.
Community Veteran

You might find this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/7906g_7911g/8_0/english/administration/guide/11... useful.
The only part I don't like is that it keeps referring to the Cisco Unified Communicatiosn Manager , as though all the configuration is done from a centralised management package. That's probably what you want in a corpoarte environment but with just 1 phone you're going to want to configure it on its own.
Also check that you have a power supply unit for it, as its capable of using PoE ( power over etherent ) and may have been used that way.
mickycollis
Grafter

Hi
Thaks for the reply. my service has been added and is awaing config. I have ordered a POE adapter so when that arrives. I will be voiped.
Community Veteran

I think  you might have fun with that phone! Smiley . It looks like it expects to download a config file from a server using TFTP, hence all the reference to the Unified Communication Manager. This presumably configures the files and makes them available for the phones to download.
This might be good bedtime reading http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_6_1/ccmsys/a02tftp.html and this http://www.minded.ca/default/2009-12-16/configure-cisco-ip-phones-with-asterisk/
explains a bit more about configuring them in an Asterix environment