cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap VOIP phone

john10001
Grafter

Cheap VOIP phone

Out of interest are there any cheap VOIP phones available for home consumers? I have a Cisco one at work but just wondered what is available now?
I'm not sure if it will be worth it because I get free evening and weekend calls on my land line but was just curious.
I may eventually get around to trying out video calls "skype?" but have been put off this and social media in general after all the unlawful government snooping in recent years. If it can be done securely over a VPN I may be interested though.
1 REPLY
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Cheap VOIP phone

Quote from: john10001
Out of interest are there any cheap VOIP phones available for home consumers? I have a Cisco one at work but just wondered what is available now?

Define cheap.
There are several brands of routers (with and without built-in DSL modems) which have VoIP (SIP) functionality into which you plug normal phones, for which you can of course use a DECT setup.  The better ones have the ability to use multiple VoIP accounts.  I've been using DrayTek VoIP routers for many years and find them to be easy to set up and excellent in use, although having bought some of them new, they weren't cheap.
There are ATAs which perform a similar purpose as above, and there are ATA/DECT units such as the Gigaset IP range which have VoIP integrated into the DECT base station.
Many of the items mentioned above allow you to integrate the landline into the system so that you can answer either type of call on the same handset.
A variety of the above can be picked up on eBay for reasonable prices if you keep your eyes peeled.