cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the PSTN number

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Changing the PSTN number

I currently have two landlines plus a third number associated with the VoIP. I haven't used the VoIP much to date because I didn't have a suitable setup. I've now got a much better PC, a headset and microphone and X-lite 4 running just fine.
Looking at the costs it would be cheaper to ditch one of the landlines and swap to using the VoIP having signed up to the Anytime package. If I ditch the landline would it be possible to move that number on to my VoIP so that I didn't have to tell everyone the new number?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Changing the PSTN number

Porting is an Ofcom requirement, more easily done if your number and line is with BT. Can't find it information on PN site  but others have ported their landline numbers to VoIP. http://www.gradwell.com/support/kb/category.php?id=80
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Jelv,
I'm going to put this question to a specific staff member...I'll get back to you ASAP. The person I need to speak to may not be available until Monday so I've set myself a reminder for then....
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

OK Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

@jelv,
I take it you know that you can add a number to your voip account for CLI purposes. You can select on the voip control panel which number is used when sending the CLI on outgoing calls. I believe you had to provide proof of 'ownership' of the number ( e.g bill if was your landline ) and it was a £5 one-off charge. That, for instance, would allow you to make calls from you voip account but provide the CLI of your landline.
Community Veteran

Not appropriate in this case. I want to stop paying rental on one of my landlines and have calls to that number come in on the VoIP phone. The existing VoIP number can be ditched as very few people have it and I can update them.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 31

Morning jelv,
I've just spoken to my colleague about this and I can confirm that this is possible. Just raise a ticket. Give me a nod when you've done so and I'll make sure the request gets picked up.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Thanks for the answer - but not so fast! The number I want on the VoIP is currently my ADSL line so I'd have to move that to the other line first - and factor that in to the savings calculation as we anticipate that we might not be in this house for a year and so it won't be free.