cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we call Skype users??

DJKenCie

Can we call Skype users??

AND if so, HOW??  Some people I know ONLY have skype for their VoIP services.  But having read some info I'm seeing that Skype WAS something referred to as closed source so In-House only, but most SIP services open source.  But these posts/info were from 2005/2006!! 
Is this still the case?Huh
Thanks for any input on this, got someone REALLY cute I need to contact in Hannover!!...  Hehe...  Wink Tongue Cool
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Can we call Skype users??

Skype is proprietary and you can only connect to other Skype users using Skype.
SIP is a protocol which is open, and 99% of the other VOIP providers support it so interconnects between different SIP providers are definately possible (and already configured).  However, because Skype use their own protocol it is not possible to interconnect with it at all.
B.
RichSmol
Grafter

You wont be able to contact Skype users via SIP to SIP calling - if they've got a Skype-in number you can contact that but that will route the call via the normal telephone system anyway so will incur usual charges unless they have a UK geographic number attached to their account.
Skype SIP protocol is closed source and they have a gazillion licenses which protect that although i have noticed recently they're looking to integrate with Asterisk so they may choose to some how open it up for peering relationships in the future - http://news.yahoo.com/s/cnet/20080926/tc_cnet/8301100131005204992.
Community Veteran

Of course you can call Skype users.
Download Skype, create an account, add the cute Skype person as a contact and you can talk Skype to Skype for free.
TBird1
Dabbler

Yes you can - if you use Fring on your mobile phone ! From one screen you can call Skype/SIP/MSN + others. See www.fring.com
RichSmol
Grafter

N.B: you should see a form within the Account overview section which links directly to the fring application download form - we have partnered with Fring to ensure that your download is preconfigured with your Plusnet Broadband phone account details when it arrives at your handset.