cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use included free minutes. Low credit warning raises it's ugly head AGAIN!

serendipitydawg
Dabbler

Can't use included free minutes. Low credit warning raises it's ugly head AGAIN!

I had this problem as recently as the 16th of July. Chris Parr kindly credited me with 50p and I could make outgoing calls using my free inclusive 120 minutes.
As of now I can't make outgoing calls using these free minutes, and my credit is -0.01p. I've only made free calls in the interim, so how did my credit decrease to the point that I now can't make calls?Huh
From my perspective this is  a Plusnet induced problem, SO COULD ANY PLUSNET TECHNICAL PERSON PLEASE PUT THI RIGHT, PLEASE!!
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Can't use included free minutes. Low credit warning raises it's ugly head AGAIN!

've only made free calls in the interim, so how did my credit decrease to the point that I now can't make calls?Huh

Does your outgoing call list ( https://voip.plus.net/login/calls_out ) show calls being charged that should be free ? OR has your credit just dropped  ?
Edit: I've just checked my account and although I've only made one call since my billing date its been correctly recorded as free and my credit is still correct. 
serendipitydawg
Dabbler

Re: Can't use included free minutes. Low credit warning raises it's ugly head AGAIN!

Thanks for responding
I have checked my outgoing calls and it does show calls that should be free as being charged
Don't know about you, but I find things like this deeply irritating. As far as I am concerned this is Plusnet problem, only that I am put to inconvenience trying to get someone there to sort it out preferably so it doesn't happen yet again. They'll probably try and blame Gradwell.
Community Veteran

They'll probably try and blame Gradwell.

In reallty it is probably down to Gradwell, since they provide the voip service on behalf of PN. However you're absolutely right, as far as you are concerned its PlusNet's problem, they provide you with a service, how they provide it is their decision.
Strange that it should only affect you though, I would have thought that if its mischarging calls it would be a more general problem.
I've certainly got a call on the 2nd Aug that's been shown correctly as free.
Have your included minutes been reset correctly ?
It is an 01,02 or 03 number you're being charged for and not an 0845/0870 number ? 
itsme
Grafter

Are all 01, 02, 03 numbers free? What about NI and the Channel islands?
Community Veteran

What about NI and the Channel islands?

Good point, I hadn't thought of that Huh.
However if you check the T & C's, for instance for 'Plusnet Broadband Phone 240' ( included with Pro ), it says
240 Anytime minutes to 01/02/03 numbers

serendipitydawg
Dabbler

I just checked. It was a number beginning with 01
Thanks again for responding.
I am srill link:censored off with inept service. I've posted here, sent a PM to the member of Plusnet staff who sorted this problem out last time, and for good measure 'phoned the helpline all to no avail. My billing cycle started today; I have 120 free minurtes to use and I still can't use them
adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed
Community Veteran

It was a number beginning with 01

But was it a UK number or, as itsme says, possibly a NI or CI number ? if you're not where the STD code is for then check here http://www.slough28.com/s28menu.html
I know the T & C's say 01,02,03 BUT that could be, like me, the person who wrote the them didn't think about it.
It could be that itsme's right and it doesn't include NI / CI numbers.
serendipitydawg
Dabbler

It is my BT landline number, physically downstairs from where I attempt to dial it from via the Plusnet Broadband phone.
Instead of ringing it returns  a busy signal. I know it's working because it rings when I dial it from my mobile phone
Community Veteran

I'm sorry you're confusing me now.. Undecided
I thought you couldn't make calls at all because you have no credit ? but you say its reporting 'busy' does it give a SIP error code ?
I understood the problem was that you believe the system has incorrectly charged you for calls ( to your home landline number ) that should have been in your included minutes and thus your 50p credit has been exhausted. If that's the case then it looks like a Gradwell issue, but PlusNet should be sorting it.
Community Veteran

I'm sorry about the continued problems that you've seen here. For some reason your calls were being marked as chargeable but you were on an inclusive calls tariff. There's probably a mis-match somewhere on Gradwell's side so I changed your package and then changed it back to the original broadband phone 120. This should overwrite whatever was saved incorrectly on your account. I've added another 50p of credit so please re-test and if the problems continue we'll raise an escalation with Gradwell.
serendipitydawg
Dabbler

Thanks Ben!
All is well and I can now make outgoing calls using my free minutes.
I no longer feel the need to use a coarse epithet consisting of two words; the second being "off"
Seriously though, my gut feeling is that there is some underlying issue here with regard to Gradwell, as my usage of my free minutes was trouble free for months (maybe even years) up until July 1st this year.
Cheers
Matthew
Community Veteran

If I see any further examples I'll get a case raised with Gradwell but I haven't seen any others with this specific issue. We've seen lots of customers having trouble with included minutes, but that was after a problem fix where they should have been restricted at some point in the past.
However, I'm glad to hear you're sorted Smiley
taras
Grafter

Hi,
Just been checking my voip panel and the 50p that was loaded back into the account is now down to 3p and I've only made test calls to my landline number .
username: krusty
PNet4um
Grafter

On 18th November I started to get charged for calls - all I can see on my account is 3 hours and 5 minutes for November so I am not sure if I actually had 55 minutes left or not but... This caused my credit to go negative and of course even though I now have a fresh 240m I CANNOT MAKE CALLS...
I concur with sentiments in this thread and previous ones that we really, really do need a way of stopping this happening because it is creating not just frustration but significant disruption AND EFFORT to customers as well as Plusnet support staff who I am hoping will fix my problem soon! - STOP PRESS - a response follows my suggestion...
Gradwell (I assume) provide the web dialogue below to allows us to specify both (1) 'Alerts when credit below amount' and (2) 'Maximum daily spend'... Unfortunately they chose to have ZERO for the latter to mean 'Unlimited' - otherwise I guess we would all put zero... HOWEVER - would it not be possible for them to accept pence (i.e. £ .01) and then at least we could feel safe that if we DID add some credit that it would last for a very long time. This would hopefully be a trivial change for them as opposed to changing or adding to that dialogue and the documentation etc...
Response from Plusnet:
------------
I have now added 2p as a gesture of good will to the account to bring you back into a zero balance. This should resolve your problem within the next 15 minutes. I hope this resolves your issue and can then use the service as needed.
------------
Web dialogue from GradwellHuh:
------------
Maximum Daily Spend:
This option allows you to restrict the amount of money spent on calls per day, in pounds. Please remember that you are responsible for all call charges on your account. This option is very useful to limit the value of calls that can be made in the event of fraudulent use of your services. This may be any value from £1 up to £25.

Low Credit Warning:
When your available credit for VoIP calls falls below this value, any call made on your account will generate an email warning to your primary account email address (*******@***.co.uk). If this option is left blank or set to zero, no warnings will ever be sent.
------------