cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone recommend an ethernet phone/adapter (ie non USB) to use with plusnet

mortod

Can anyone recommend an ethernet phone/adapter (ie non USB) to use with plusnet

I want to use Plusnet's broadband phone, but I don't want to be reliant on my PC (ie I don't want to use a headset or USB phone, and my PC will often by in standby). I had hoped to use a BT Homehub to connect a normal phone but they don't work with Plusnet.
I assume you can purchase a phone or adapter with an ethernet port to connect into my existing router. Can anyone recommend such a device?
8 REPLIES
Simon_M
Grafter

Re: Can anyone recommend an ethernet phone/adapter (ie non USB) to use with plusnet

There are several of adapters with broadly similar functionality, but one example is a Grandstream HT503. That one lets you connect a single phone to both the Plusnet Broadband Phone service & your existing PSTN service (whether from BT, Plusnet Home Phone or whoever) at the same time.
I can't tell you much about how good it is or how well it works, because although it's sitting here on my desk, I haven't really needed to use it yet. When I get a bit of spare time I'll give it a go, more out of interest than anything.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Can anyone recommend an ethernet phone/adapter (ie non USB) to use with plusnet

@mortof, Have a look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,77814.0.html particularly reply #1. Then post back with further questions...
If you are also looking to replace a router at the same time then you can get routers with built in voip ports, into which you plug a normal phone.
zpeterk
Grafter

I am using a zoom 5801 with no problems
lammy

Hi All,
I've been having a look through this thread and the suggested one and also doing some research and would like to know if i'm going down the correct route.  I have just enabled the voip service with PN and have been using xlite successfully Grin .
However I would like to use my set of cordless phones for voip and pstn calls.  I was thinking about getting a Grandstream HT503 - has anyone got one working and does it work well with this setup?  As my router is playing up (a new one coming out on warranty) I have the option of getting a new router has anyone got any recommendations of a wireless router that will enable both voip and pstn calls from my current phones?
thanks for any help.
itsme
Grafter

I use a Speedtouch 716 which has built-VoIP, this is an old design but it does support ADSL2+ and I got mine for 99p plus £5 for p&p from Ebay. They are still available from Ebay but looking at £20 for one now.
I would like to throw this open to see if anyone has experience with ADSLmodem/router with built-in VoIP and DECT like the DrayTek Vigor 2710
puddy
Grafter

I also recommend a speedtouch 716wl router i also got mine from ebay for 99p plus p&p
you could also use a speedtouch 780wl which is an updated 716wl model but make sure the 780 not locked to 02 aol etc

puddy
lammy

Hi All,
thanks for the reply, I was seriously considering getting the 716wl but I have got my hands on a draytek 2800, gives me a few extra things including inbound VPN , unfortunately no voip ports.  I think i'm going down the separates route which may mean a HT503, so is there anyone who can recommend this or any other bit of kit?Huh
thanks.
puddy
Grafter

Are you in the market for a new mobile phone or want to buy a cheap sim free model that you can use out and about great if you travel abroad look for a Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB or a new N900 to use as a voip phone?
Or go for an older Siemens Gigaset C450ip phone you can add extra handset when and if you have the money to spend even my partner can use it .  Its just like any other DECT cordless phone and you dont lose a phone for a base station all are anywhere you want them extensions, the battery life on these siemes gigaset brilliant mines off the charger for 3 days at time and has never lost more than 50% of its charge and they take normal AA recharable battries.
In addition have a look for clearance model voips phones on http://www.grandstream.co.uk
puddy