cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Home Phone number be transferred to VoIP?

petermaughan
Grafter

Can a Home Phone number be transferred to VoIP?

Hi!
I recently asked the helpdesk the following question on behalf of a friend:
I have Broadband and Home Phone (xxxxx) with Plus.net. I will be letting my home while I am abroad or staying with a friend. I wish to transfer my calls and broadband access to my friend's flat (yyyyy@free-online Home Phone yyyyy). What would you recommend and how much would it cost? My friend and I have considered the following possibilities:
* Install an extra line at my friend's flat for my broadband access and transfer xxxxx to it.
* Share my friend's broadband access via his Speedtouch 780WL router and have all calls to xxxxx diverted to yyyyy.
* Have calls to xxxxx sent to a new VoIP SIP account and picked up on a second telephone attached to his Speedtouch 780WL.
Obviously, I am looking for the cheapest option, so that I can still get my emails and incoming phone calls.

I was wondering whether the third option is possible, i.e. to have a Home Phone number converted into an extra VoIP number on an existing account that already has one VoIP number allocated.
I thought I might get a better answer from this forum than the helpdesk.  The people there seem to be programmed to deal only with straightforward cases.
Petr
2 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Can a Home Phone number be transferred to VoIP?

Go here to see if this answer you question. But note
NB: Any numbers with services attached/associated to them (e.g. fax, broadband, alarm systems, credit card machines) will be ceased when the number is ported over to Gradwell. If this is the case you must arrange to transfer these services to new number with BT before attempting to port.
petermaughan
Grafter

Re: Can a Home Phone number be transferred to VoIP?

Many thanks, itsme.  It looks to be just what is needed.  This Forum is truely amazing; I see that your reply is timed at 04:02 in the morning!
Gradwell's number porting is offered specifically for BT invoiced lines.  In this case it is a BT line, invoiced by Plus.net Home Phone and the resulting VoIP account would, I assume, be charged through Plus.net.  I wonder, is there anybody at Plus.net who can confirm that this would be acceptable?
Peter