cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use Speedtouch 716 or 780 as 'dual phone'

DrBob

Can I use Speedtouch 716 or 780 as 'dual phone'

Hi,
I would like to answer incoming calls either my normal BT number or broadband number on a single handset. I note that the Speedtough 716WL and 780WL router modems have both Voip ports and a PSTN port. According to the manual, the PSTN port is intended for outgoing calls (in case or power cut). Does anyone know if it will also route through to the VOIP port so that it acts as a 'dual' phone.
Can anyone comment on the pros and cons of the 716 vs 780. There seem to be quite a lot of the 716 at good price on Ebay at the moment.
10 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: Can I use Speedtouch 716 or 780 as 'dual phone'

Interesting!  I use a Fritz!Box Fon for that purpose, though they are quite expensive.  I've not got the wireless one, and my wireless AP plays up sometime, so if this will do the same then one of these might be my next step as well.
Phil
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have used a speedy 716wl, you can press "9" to route your calls via pstn, but I cant remember if the VOIP phone rings on incomeing PSTN calls.
Ian
puddy
Grafter

welcome to plusnet drbob
If someone know's anything about telnet settings it may be possable
I am running a 2 line BT phone an easier way 1 plug in to the pstn port and the other in to the voip port on my speedtouch 716wl that way you never need miss a call.

BT model= converse 2025 (old) or any 2 incoming line phone
kind regards
puddy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

They're not cheap but the Siemens Gigaset IP DECT phones will do exactly what you are looking for.
Take a look at the C460IP , S450IP , C475IP or S685IP.
http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_121551_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
They vary in price from £75ish to £100ish for single handset versions.
Multiple handset add approx £40 for each additional handset.
NB. Tesco do a cheaper version of the S450, called the DP450 Dualphone but dont go there , its locked to Tesco Internet Phone!!
pint
Grafter

Ive recently purchased a speedtouch 780WL and if its conected to the PTSN line ( unfiltered it on the microfilter) the phones conected to its voip ports will ring along with normal phones that arent coencted to the router.
to dial on the ptsn BT phones using a phone plugged into the router you ned to dial "Star 10 Star" followed by the number.
the VOIP pohones plugged in will ring for both the VOIP incoming and BT incoming number, but only if there plugged in via the little adaptors that come with the router.
If theres two phones plugged into the router, when ones using the BT system, the other one can use the VOIP service.
Also its possible to make two simultaneous outgoing calls using the phones plugged into the voip ports, both using VOIP at the same time.
when one phone plugged into the router is using the BT system to receive /make a call, the other phone can use the VOIP service.
the phones i use plugged into the speedtouch 780WL are cheap tesco value  phones.

DrBob

Thanks for your comments - especially pint and ian for their valuable contributions. While the Siemens Gigaset is the object of my desires, current conditions on the stock market mean I will have to make do with whatever I can manage on the Speedtouch 716wl I just won for £14.99 on ebay and my existing DECT phones (lost the bid on the 780wl). I'll let you know how I get on.
Does anyone have  the sip address for Father Christmas?

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pint

to dial on the ptsn BT phones using a phone plugged into the router you ned to dial "Star 10 Star" followed by the number.

well I learned somthing today!!!
Do you have any other settings for the speedtouch 716wl and 780 routers?
Puddy
pint
Grafter

what sort of settings?
pnf
Grafter

The 'Telephony Services' on my Speedtouch 780WL are as follows:
Service                                                Activation Code  Deactivation Code        Activated
Call Hold                                                        *94                      #94                  Yes
Call Waiting                                                    *43                      #43                    Yes
Call Waiting On Call Basis                              *43*                    #43*                  Yes
Call Transfer                                                    *96                      #96                    Yes
Conference Call (3 Party)                                  *95                      #95                    Yes
Calling Line Identification Presentation              *30                      #30                    Yes
Forced FXO                                                      *01*                             Yes
DrBob

Back to the original question, the short answer is YES!

|ASDL -> DSL socket
    BT -> Splitter  ->|
                      |Phone -> PSTN socket
    DECT Phone ->          ->  FX0 socket

Outgoing calls route through PN/VOIP.
Incoming calls on either BT or VOIP phone number both ring through and can be answered on my DECT phones.
I have also left one phone connecting direct to my BT line in case it falls over!