cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calls to VOIP phone go instantly to voicemail, can MAKE calls??

Kwak
Grafter

Calls to VOIP phone go instantly to voicemail, can MAKE calls??

Hi. My router died on me so I got a Draytek 2850 that I thought would be .. good at this. After a little struggle I've got VOIP apparently working, but above happens. When I call it to test, it goes INSTANTLY to a voicemail mesage about "The persion at extension is unavailable" - so it's mostly useless Sad  More info:
The draytek router says it's registering (shows healthy R).
I can make OUTGOING voip calls, tested fine!
The router can see me messing with the handset. Idle/processing/hang up etc as i do things with it, so it knows handset is there from what I can see?
Plusnet can see the router registering in the plusnet VOIP portal.
I'm using nat.plus.net:5082, act as outbound proxy. Auth ID unchecked which apparently you have to do.
Everthing else default really.
Very frustrating, every time i touch this stuff I waste hours  Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
What's wierd about the log at the plustnet portal is it shows a registration line that says "NAT .. until 2013-4-14 some:time". Also the registration tme logged is +1 hour.
Is that a clue, is there a bug making the registration expire in the past in Apri, or a clock wrong somewhere?
Why would a registered phone go instantly to voicemail what would trigger that, a plusnet setting or a draytek setting?Huh
Router firmware is 3.6.4, the latest.
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Calls to VOIP phone go instantly to voicemail, can MAKE calls??

Auth ID unchecked which apparently you have to do.
I'd be surprised if that's the case. I would have thought you needed that checked, your sip id in the Authentication ID field and your sip password in the password field. Use sip.plus.net in the domain/realm
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I wonder if changing your SIP password will clear the erroneous April dated registration ?
Then start a new session on your DrayTek using the new password.
Kwak
Grafter

1. No auth ID has to unchecked, I vaguely remember that from before, seen it in posts I've read today, and again confirmed the R disappears and it won't register if checked.
2. I'd already reset the password today. I tried again but it doesn't seem to have "taken" and I still need to use the old one.
It's not helping. What I mean in the logon stuff in the portal I get this, edited out IP/ID.
nat.thw, expires at 2013-06-11 19:02:26, logged into v-sip-1
NAT: *** on v-nat-proxy-1 from 212.*.*.* (212.*.*.*.plus.com), internal IP 212.*.*.*, until 2013-04-14 13:56:10
NAT: *** on v-nat-proxy-1 from 212.*.*.* (212.*.*.*.plus.com), internal IP 212.*.*.*, until 2013-04-14 14:48:51
Device
DrayTek Blah
What happens with other people, are their dates current?Huh
It does concern me it says these old times. I've confirmed in router it's got "do not disturb" disabled. I'm not even sure if it's gettign to the router.
Community Veteran

I see what you mean !    Shocked
I've got -
nat.thw, expires at 2013-06-11 18:29:05, logged into v-sip-1
NAT: ******* on v-nat-proxy-1 from **.**.**.** (My-Domain), internal IP 192.168.***.***, until 2013-03-13 01:43:45
Community Veteran

nat.thw, expires at 2013-06-11 19:02:26, logged into v-sip-1

That's your current registration, the others are just old ones and I wouldn't worry about them. The system seems to hang onto old details.
In the voip->phone settings what codecs have you got selected ?
Kwak
Grafter

G.729A/B, single codec not checked.
Why would that matter though, my understanding was codecs are for compression of audio, it never gets that far, it doesn't ring. It's INSTANTLY going to voicemail.
And i can MAKE calls!
Kwak
Grafter

The lighting speed it goes to voicemail, and fact the status of the lines shows no missed calls at the router really makes me think it's something at the plusnet side?Huh
Community Veteran

When the incoming call INVITE arrives, both ends will try to negotiate a codec. If your end can't agree a codec to be used then the call will be rejected. Outgoing calls will specify a codec to be used.
Gradwell ( who provide the PN voip ) do support G729 but not by default. https://portal.gradwell.com/psupport.php/knowledgebase/view/as/printable/article_id/257
Try selecting G711a or u as the codec and see it that helps.
edit: i've just downloaded the manual for the 2850 and it looks like preferred codecs are specified on the sip account page.
Kwak
Grafter

Ok just changed to G 777A and it didn't help? 729 is the default codec out of the box.
I did a telnet / voip show debug -a to show the routers VOIP debug call, made a call, checked again and didn't even seem to see an entry at the router, it just seems to, every 30s, do a little call/response with Plusnet (Gradwell). And the router is sending SIP/2.0 200 OK which I'd assume means "yes, i'm here"?
Community Veteran

Have you got the correct ring port, Phone 1 or Phone 2, checked on the sip account page ?
Kwak
Grafter

It defaults to both. I've tried with that and even 2 phones plugged in.
currently set to ring p1 and p1 is plugged in (confirmed I can pick up and dial).
Community Veteran

Have you ever had VoIP working previously (i.e. before you tried setting up the 2850) ?
When my account was first setup, I had similar incoming call symptoms - although completely different hardware.
I raised a Plusnet support ticket, they were able to replicate the issue and passed the problem to Gradwell, my account then got tweaked by Gradwell, Plusnet support confirmed it was fixed and my VoIP has worked ever since.
In my case there must have been an account configuration issue,
as my hardware went to a working state without me changing any of the settings.
So if this is the first time you have tried VoIP, then I would suggest raising a ticket.
Kwak
Grafter

Ok thanks I think I need to raise it. It certainly has worked before but I've not tried it for a while.
Exact same symptoms you say.
Oh one final question, it just me that my extension number is one digit longer than my ID number? Slightly confusing as youd be tempted to enter the one on the portal.
Community Veteran

Oh one final question, it just me that my extension number is one digit longer than my ID number?
That's unusual, but IIRC there was some issues with extension no's starting with ( I think! ) a 4. In some cases it was necessary to drop the 4 when using it as a sip id.