Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C475IP additional handset question

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

C475IP additional handset question

I have one Siemens C475IP phone and some old GAP phones and wanted to add the GAP phone to the system so I can take VOIP calls in another room. I don't need any fancy tricks. However, when I go through the procedure to add the handset to the base station, I put in the PIN and the phone beeps and I think I'm done. The screen on the new handset say bS-2. When it was attached to my landline, it used to say HS-2. Nothing happens and if I press 'Clear' on the handset, the screen goes blank and the handset is obviously not attached. I will add at this point that I don't have my VOIP phone connected to the landline as I have a separate phone setup for taking these calls.
Do GAP compatible phones only work for the normal lanline? Do I have to buy a Siemens VOIP handset to use it for VOIP?
Annie
15 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: C475IP additional handset question

Have you read the manual for your old GAP phones?
Annie
Rising Star

Yes. I think I'm doing everything correctly. I just wondered if a normal GAP phone will work on the VOIP system. It doesn't have an IP facility that I know of or does this not matter if it's attached to the base station?
Annie
itsme
Grafter

The pairing is with the base station so being VoIP/PSTN should not make any difference. In the past I have had problems pairing headsets to different manufacturer/model base stations and I can't remember what I did to pair them. As the handset is displaying bS-2 I think that this may indicate Base Station number 2. I don't know whether it's standard but I have a faint recollection that some handsets can handle more than one base station. If this is the case the handset still have the settings for bS-1 so you could have paired the handset with the C4751 on bS-2 but the handset is still working on bS-1.
johpal
Grafter

Looks like you will need to buy a Siemens handset; see list here:
http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_159159_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
Wouldn't surprise me; the handset has some extra features for handling VoIP, menus, etc.
itsme
Grafter

If you want to make and receive calls than any GAP compliant handset should work. Its the special functions/menu options that will be lost. As long as Recall or other key combination is used to switch between PSTN/VoIP then there should be no problem
Annie
Rising Star

Hi,
Still having problems. I made sure I deregistered the handset from the old landline phone setup first. The reason it says bS-2 is because I was putting 2 in when it asked - I wrongly thought this was because it was going to be handset 2 on this system. Anyway, having tried 1, it still doesn't work. I get the beep after the PIN has been entered. According to the phone's instructions, it should all be registered at this point. However, it isn't. The GAP handset belongs to a BT Freestyle 2500. I don't know what else to try.
Annie
itsme
Grafter

It could be a case of
The Generic Access Profile (GAP) (ETSI standard EN 300 444) describes a set of mandatory requirements to allow any conforming DECT Fixed Part (base) to inter operate with any conforming DECT Portable Part (handset) in order to provide basic telephony services when attached to a 3.1kHz telephone network (as defined by EN 300 176-2).

not being generic.  Wink As I could not remember why I'm running 2 base stations I tried registering my older handset with the newer iDect system I have. No joy the handset receive the base id code and that's it. Will no try the other way round.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Hi Annie,
I just wondered if a normal GAP phone will work on the VOIP system

Any old GAP compatible handset should give at least the basic functionaliy to make and receive calls. I used an old Binatone one with my C475.
I'm on holiday at the moment so I cant confirm exactly how I did it but I'll be back home at the weekend.
When you register the handset Does the C475 show the handset in the list of registered handsets ?
itsme
Grafter

My Binatone handsets don't work with the iDect base station but the iDect handsets work with the Binatone base station.  Huh And the two systems are from the same manufacturer  Angry
Annie
Rising Star

Having got the phone working after the Gradwell problems, I now notice that I don't have dial tone any longer, although it dials out and receives incoming calls.. Does anyone have any ideas please?
Annie
Community Veteran

Annie, is this a dial tone for voip calls or landline calls?
I never have had a dial tone for voip calls on my Siemens A580IP, I dial the number and it goes straight to the ringing tone.
Bob
Annie
Rising Star

Bob, it's just for the VOIP calls. I don't use the phone for the fixed line. It's my husband who mainly uses the phone but we feel sure there used to be a dial tone when pressing the green key. Like you, we hear the ringing tone once it's ringing through. I might have to take this up with Siemens. I seem to recall something about dialing tones and European models when I was reading up to buy it in the first instance.
Annie
Community Veteran

Ok. I don't think I've ever had a dial tone for voip calls.
If I press the green button it brings up the last number dialled, if I then press it again it will dial the number but goes straight to the ringing tone.
Bob
johpal
Grafter

Just to confirm, I don't have a dial tone either when I press the key to make a VoIP call, but outgoing & incoming calls work fine.