cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Butler 4012 Voip

Selkirk
Grafter

Butler 4012 Voip

I have a Butler phone, which  has never been used, could I use it for Broadband+land line calls?
Thanks.
4 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Butler 4012 Voip

Hi Welcome to Plusnet.
The butler phone only works with skype, plusnet voip service is not skype compatible.
Looking on Google the Butler its not very cheap £63.
see below for hardware that will work from £15
updates on voip hardware to help your use your free voip minutes from bargin prices.  with all of these products below you dont need to have your computer on to make and receive calls.  So for those of you on a budget of less than £15 I have made this list up. 
Hardware prices
Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8gb Nokia 6300i may be N96  £0.00 if you already have one of these mobile phones
Linksys Pap2 Adapter max ebay bid £13
Speedtouch 716wl routers adsl 2+ ,4 ports, wireless and has 2 built-in voip ports look on ebay but dont bid over £15 inc p&p
if you have the free 1 port router provided by plusnet then item 2 and 3 will not work because you do not have any spare ports.  But all is not lost upgrade that old free 1 port router with item 3 the speedtouch 716wl router it has 4 ports its wireless and has 2 built in voip ports
puddy
item 1 works with 02 3 mobile check it works with T-mobile, it will work with Vodafone but the phone will need to be de-branded first . Not sure it will work with Orange
item 2 and 3 need a RJ11 to BT adapter so you can use any BT end plug in to them Less than £3
Community Veteran

I am not familiar with the Butler phone.
Why dont you register for the free broadband voip minutes, download and install the sjphone software and just give your Butler phone a try as you already have it.
Apparently some skype certified usb phones don't work with the plusnet voip.
It is not going to cost you anything more except a bit of time to experiment. Perhaps if you had other usb phones kicking around you could try them too. Post back if you need help with setting up.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
I am not familiar with the Butler phone

I did a search on Google on this phone it’s a cordless Skype phone and not the same as your handset.
Apparently some Skype certified usb phones don't work with the plusnet VoIP

I don’t think any Skype cordless handset will work with Plusnet VoIP service. 
I think we should help new user and advise them not to go out and buy any Skype hardware and save their money. You can buy most VoIP equipment that will work on plusnet VoIP service for less than £15 or free if they have the correct mobile phone. I think the butler rrp is £63 which will be a very expensive microphone and speaker.  In addition some or all the buttons will not work
Why don’t you register for the free broadband VoIP minutes, download and install the sjphone software

I agree register for your free minutes it’s not going to cost any money and when you get the right kit that will work on plusnet you will have all the settings ready to go. 
If you go the software router you will need to leave your computer on to make and receive calls.  If you go the hardware route once setup you don’t need to leave your computer on but just your router to make and receive calls.
If the store you bought the Butler from will not let you return it for a refund stick it on eBay
As Santiago said if you get stuck or need help we are here most days so just shout
puddy
itsme
Grafter

From my understanding of the Bulter phone it's a normal PSTN DECT phone with a USB connection to the base station, and it's Skype compliant. not  Skype only.
If you go here you will find the instructions how to set the phone up to work with SJ-phone.