cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Busy Tone.

nsa11

Busy Tone.

Hi, I am confused.
If I am on the VOIP line, why do callers no just get a busy tone ?
I tested this at work, I call out and then someone calls in and they hear the line ringing when it should be engaged Huh?
Its the same if you use the Zoom 5801 ATA or the SJPhone.
Any Ideas ?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Busy Tone.

I suspect its due to the fact that you can have more than 1 call ( 2 I think! ) active on the voip line. So even though you have an active call it rings for the second one until either its answered or the answerphone kicks in.
You might think it would be clever enough to realise that if there is only one device registered, and that already has an active call, that the line is busy and go straight to answerphone. I guess not !!!
prichardson
Grafter

Re: Busy Tone.

I advised a collague on the answer to this in the week and based on your hardware, I actually suspect it may be the same query.
The answer is that it depends on the hardware and/or software you are using.
In summary, the answer is already covered in the previous response.
It is possible to have more than one call ongoing at any one time. Think of it as the call waiting service of VoIP. When a second call is received, your SIP clients are invited to the call. What the caller hears depends on your SIP clients response.
If your SIP phone does not support call waiting type services, it should reject the call. What happens next depends on your VoIP service. If there is no fallback policy such as answerphone, they should receive a engaged tone.
In your case, you have indicated a possible second cause. In the above description I noted that if your SIP client rejects the call, the fallback is performed. If you have more than one SIP client registered at the same time, all the clients must reject the call. So if you have the Zoom and SJphone online at the same time, both will ring and the call must be rejected on both.
If this is the same query as seen in the week and you have have the Zoom connected right now, it sounds like the Zoom does not action the Invite request correctly whilst you are in a call. In theory is should reject it if it doesn't support call waiting, or play a tone or other means of alerting you to the call. To be honest, it sounds like your Zoom doesn't support call waitin, doesn't sound a tone to you or reject the call. In a nutshell, it's likely a bug in the Zoom.