cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband phone set up help for dummies .... please!

ljbillingham

Broadband phone set up help for dummies .... please!

Hi, I need some help setting up the plusnet VoIP ..
I'm using an Hp laptop on our home wireless network (Netgear router) with a USB plug and play phone (Doro 212pc). Downloaded and configured the Sjphone software no probs and can make and receive calls...  i.e can dial out and in. The only problem is I can't hear anything on the phone itself .... all the sound tests seemed OK but nothing happens when actually making/receiving calls! None of the buttons on the phone work either ... am I doing something wrong? Help! I'm no tech so simple explanations please  Roll eyes
23 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: Broadband phone set up help for dummies .... please!

The Doro 212 is a Skype usb phone.
Plusnet VoIP service is not Skype compatible.
Other say all usb Skype phones will work with plusnet VoIP service they won't
Why did you buy this usb?  did someone on the forum tell you it would work?
puddy
ljbillingham

...... it was cheap!! If I have to buy another one I will, what do you recommend? Have seen an adaptor mentioned on other posts (ATA?) what is this and how does it work?
Thanks
puddy
Grafter

The linksys PAP2 is a great peice of kit to start with but you need a spare port on your router and you can make and receive calls without your computer being switched on, Just leave your router on.  Dont bid over £15 on e-bay

Speedtouch 716wl routers adsl 2+ ,4 ports, wireless and has 2 built-in voip ports look on ebay but dont bid over £15 inc p&p This replaces your old router again just leave it on to make and receivce calls  I got my last one for £8 inc p&p
Or do you have a Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB or the new N96 mobile phone?
puddy
Both need a RJ11 to BT adapter so you can use any BT end plug in to them Less than £3
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

As Puddy says its primarily a Skype phone.
You are unlikely to get the buttons ( or display if it has one ) to work with Sjphone as there is no driver for that phone.
Windows should see the phone as just an Audio device so you should be able to use it just for audio though, but you need to use your computer keyboard to dial the number and place the call.
Check the Sjphone manual ( page 26 ) for help on setting Audio options. You need to ensure that your playback,recording and possibly ring devices are set to use your USB phone.
Have a look at my post in this topic http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,67430.0.html
for an initial explanation of the various Voip options including ATA's.
puddy
Grafter

I did tell Santiago  not to recommend all Skype hardware because plusnet VoIP service is not Skype compatible
I knew this would happen
puddy
ps I just hope it he did not pay £26 rrp I did a thread stating what you could buy from under £15
ljbillingham

So ... if I get a PAP2 (there are spare ports on the router) do I take it that I could use any phone including the wireless sort? I ask this specifically as I need "My" phone to be away from where the router is sited (husbands office).
If this isn't the case which SIP phone (other than the Nokia mobiles Puddy mentioned although may upgrade to N95 in due course) can you recommend which will work with sjphone AND allow full functionality i.e button/displays that work?
Cheers
Laura
puddy
Grafter

By using  adapter/VoIP phone you don’t need the sjphone that’s software controlled. By using VoIP hardware all you need is to insure that the routers left on all the time to make or receive VoIP calls.
In this case I would recommend the Siemens 450 or 460 ip dect phone.  Their cordless leave the black box near the router plug one lead in to your landline and one plugs in to the router and the hand set can be anywhere and the best bit is that you can add up to 6 handsets.  To make a VoIP call (you can change this) you put the phone number in press the dial button and let go, the call routed via plusnet VoIP service, but if you had held the dial button for 3 seconds it will route the call over your landline.  You can make more than 1 VoIP call on the other handset that are not being used costs £65 plus £30 per slave handset.  Look on Amazon but make sure the Siemens phone have dect ip model listed
As for using the Linksys pap2 some dect phones do have problems its worth a try
puddy
Community Veteran

Hi Laura
I notice that Puddy has already introduced me to you earlier. Welcome to the forum.
I have an opinion on this topic that is not welcome by some members as you may have noticed.
Quote from: puddy
I did tell Santiago  not to recommend all Skype hardware because plusnet VoIP service is not Skype compatible

He is also refering me here too
Quote from: puddy
Other say all usb Skype phones will work with plusnet VoIP service they won't

Actually some Skype certified phones do work with PlusNet voip but I am not supposed to say that. Some of the functions that you can use with skype are sometimes not available e.g. the buttons on the phone. Of course you can use the keypad on your computer or use the dialer on SJPhone with your mouse. So it's not perfect but it does work.
If you follow the advice from ianwarrilow you should be able to set up your audio in SJphone and be able to use your usb phone satisfactorily.
As I already had one, I use a skype phone for my Plusnet voip calls both at home and when I am travelling.
Of course the advice offered already by others for the various routers and adaptors is very good and will give you a more flexible set up which may suit you for your situation where you may need a mobile solution. If you do buy all the new equipment there will be lots of advice and tutorials on this forum how to configure it all to make your voip phone calls.
You can read more about it here and here
One other point, you didn't say what OS you have but SJPhone does not seem to work very well with Vista. 
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Some of the functions that you can use with skype are sometimes not available e.g. the buttons on the phone.

So you are using the skype phone as a mic and speaker any headset would work in the same way.
What's the use of buying a phone if none of the buttons on it work? its like buying a car without the engine working it my be cheaper and look nice but it wont go, so is totally point less
Puddy
Community Veteran

I bought my usb phone to use on Skype. Everything works on Skype of course.
For no extra cost or set up  I started using it for Plusnet voip. Its not fully featured on Plusnet voip but it is ok for me. Maybe the OP already had the usb phone so it could be the same for her. I think she wants to have a mobile set up so your hardware set up would seem to be best for her.
ljbillingham

Thanks for all the info - I think I will go with a Siemens phone and perhaps get a headset for times when I'm on the move.
One last question - you say plug the Siemens phone into the router and phone socket .... if I need to maintain my existing landline set up (and I do) will I need to get a splitter thingy so both sets of phones can be plugged in? (Told you I was a dummy!!)
Cheers
Laura
Community Veteran

The Siemens phone can be used for both landline and VOIP calls but if you need to keep an additional phone then yes I don't see why you couldn't use a splitter.
Have a look here http://www.home-phones.co.uk/home-phones/siemens-dect-cordless-phones/
they do the whole range of Siemens phones , just remember you need one with the IP suffix.
Here is the Siemens website with all the info http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_121533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
You can even download the manuals to have a preview of how to install and configure and what facilities they provide.
The manuals are quite large though ~ 120 pages!!!
ljbillingham

Have IM'd Puddy directly but thought I'd also post here so other users could benefit ...
Using Puddys's instructions I have the Siemens Gigaset 460 IP phone set up and it's working  perfectly insofar as outgoing callsare concerned  BUT incoming calls are going straight to voicemail! Any thoughts anyone? BTW sjphones was installed and calls did show as coming through on this - unistalled the sotware as I wondered if this could be causing the problem!
Laura
Community Veteran

SJPhone shouldnt have been the problem, you ought to be able to use both at the same time , the PlusNET Voip system will allow multiple device registrations...
Unless...., did you apply any port forwarding on your router to make SJPhone work ?
If so you need to remove that as you really shouldnt need any if you are using an outbound proxy as that should handle any NAT traversal needs.
Other quesetion , what model is your router and does it have a SIP ALG ( Application layer Gateway ) ?
Sometimes these can be useful ( if they are implemented properly ) and other times they can be a right pain and are best turned off!!!