cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to combine Bt broadband voice/talk and pn talk

taras
Grafter

Best way to combine Bt broadband voice/talk and pn talk

I currently have BB talk/voice, using the bt voyager 10v ... I wish to use the pn talk as well and hardware based like the bb talk set up. In an ideal world i wish to have as few boxes as possible and keep the price down on adaptors ...
Any ideas guys and girls Smiley ?
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Best way to combine Bt broadband voice/talk and pn talk

Well one things for sure you can't do it with the voyager 10v on its own.
If you want to minimise the no of boxes you will need an ATA or Phone that can handle multiple SIp providers and the 10v cant ( I know I've used one in the past ).
The Siemens Gigaset IP phones will allow you do this but they aint cheap ( £75 upwards depending on how many handsets you want ).
A couple of ATA's have been recommended on this forum , LinkSys PAP2 and Flexor 151 but I'm not sure whether they can handle multiple SIP providers, maybe someone with experience of them will come in on this post and answer this ?
As an aside, when you refer to BB talk/voice, I presume you mean  BT Broadband voice ?
How do you manage to have that facility when you dont have BT Broadband, I thought they were tied together ? 
taras
Grafter

Quote from: ianwarrilow

As an aside, when you refer to BB talk/voice, I presume you mean  BT Broadband voice ?
How do you manage to have that facility when you dont have BT Broadband, I thought they were tied together ? 

1, yes I mean Bt Broadband Voice.
2. When I signed up in 2007 (april ish) the wizard allowed me to choose that i was with another isp, but the wizard still wanted me to buy hardware which I didn't need and I could source elseware.
The Siemens Gigaset IP does seem a better option because I would be looking at new ata box plus new dect phone. And I may need to get a usa voip line too, I assume the Gigaset can't do msn voice or skype? Crazy
Community Veteran

taras,
I surprised that BT allowed you to do that but obviously they did ( as a matter of interest how do they charge you for any calls if you dont have a BT broadband account ? )
You're right the Gigaset wont do msn/Skype neither will any of the other SIP ATA's. Skype and MSN are completely different protocols to SIP.
The Gigaset will allow you to setup upto 6 voip accounts, plus a Siemens gigaset account ( gives you free calls to other Gigaset users ). Current models are the C475IP and the S685IP ( the C475 is cheaper as it doesnt have HSDP and Bluetooth). You can get details here, including download the manual if you wish ( all 120 odd pages ) http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_145533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
I've just looked at the Flexor manual  BTW, its only got a single phone port and I dont think it can do multiple SIP providers.
Still not sure about the PAP2 but 'puddy' is a bit of an expert on these ( and the Gigaset ) and is usuall handing around this forum...
Hope that helps

itsme
Grafter

PAP2 can handle two SIP accounts but not combined to a single phone. i.e. need telephones for each SIP account. The Flexor 151 support only one SIP account but only need one telephone (or DECT base) for VoIP and PSTN.
taras
Grafter

Quote from: ianwarrilow
taras,
I surprised that BT allowed you to do that but obviously they did ( as a matter of interest how do they charge you for any calls if you dont have a BT broadband account ? )
You're right the Gigaset wont do msn/Skype neither will any of the other SIP ATA's. Skype and MSN are completely different protocols to SIP.
The Gigaset will allow you to setup upto 6 voip accounts, plus a Siemens gigaset account ( gives you free calls to other Gigaset users ). Current models are the C475IP and the S685IP ( the C475 is cheaper as it doesnt have HSDP and Bluetooth). You can get details here, including download the manual if you wish ( all 120 odd pages ) http://gigaset.siemens.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_145533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
I've just looked at the Flexor manual  BTW, its only got a single phone port and I dont think it can do multiple SIP providers.
Still not sure about the PAP2 but 'puddy' is a bit of an expert on these ( and the Gigaset ) and is usuall handing around this forum...
Hope that helps

I thought as much, regarding msn and skype.. Annoying but there you go.
As for the phones, i just saw this
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.202-3522.aspx
Rrebranded siemens 450 ip phone! at £54.99
taras
Grafter

Community Veteran

taras,
Thanks for that.
Re Tesco DP450, nice idea but I've been there, it's locked to 'tescointernetphone'  I'm afraid.
Do a spot of googling and you'll find people have tried to unlock it with no joy yet!
I've looked at the additional handset though at £34.97 ( for use with my C475IP )  and I dont think its locked in any way.
Believe its compatible with the other Gigaset's. Howvere at £34.97 against  £40 for genuine Gigaset one I'm not sure its worth the risk.

taras
Grafter

I probably will go for the Siemens Gigaset S685 IP and wait for some money off tesco vouchers
Community Veteran

If you're interested, here's where I got my C475IP from http://www.home-phones.co.uk/home-phones/siemens-dect-cordless-phones/
They seem to be about the cheapest and their service was great ( although I collected mine rather than had it delivered ).
I've only had mine about 3 weeks but I really like it. It actually enables me to use my PlusNet 120 free minutes/month.
My BT account only gives me free weekend calls so I set my default line for outgoing calls on the Gigaset during the week to be 'Plusnet'  and at the weekend to be BT ( simple few keystrokes from the handset to change it ). That together with a dial plan in the Gigaset for International, 08xx and mobile numbers means I can use Plusnet voip where its free and BT where its not.
Even works for non techies like my wife and daughter in that they have no idea ( and dont need to know ) which line is being used for the call, they just pick up the phone and dial the number!!
puddy
Grafter

For less than £10 you could get a speedtouch 716wl router it has 4 ports its wireless and  has 2 built-in voip ports and is adsl 2+.  I use one myself but dont pay more than £10 on ebay inc p&p.
I do like my siemens though because you can add extra handsets for less than £40 and you can make more than 1 call (voip only) at a time on the free handsets. But dont go for the siemens 460ip you can only have 1 voip account.
If you have the following Nokia mobile phone E65 N82 N95 N95-8GB and the new N96 also Nokia 6300i  you can use them for voip calls but check because some service providers take out the sip setting i.e vodaphone and orange not sure if t- mobile do?  You can change the product code to euro 1 then do a firmware update and it puts the sip settings back in (it de-brands the phone) Most of the Nokia phones even have the cables in the box to do this. It sound hard to do but only take about 30 min. 
in addition if your away from home with your Nokia moblie phone you can log on to a un-secure network, wifi networks and make a voip call.  Your nokia phone will show you if its picked up any unprotected networks like macdonalds cafe's, wifi networks and others etc and even your next door neighbour by accident.
all apart from the Nokia mobile phones and speedtouch router need a spare port on your router

puddy
ps some say if you unlock change product code upgrade firmware and de-brand your mobile it voids the warranty  I broke the screen on my N95 3 collected before 12pm on monday and on wednesday morning I had it back and fixed all under warranty they even kept on my settings and phone numbers and it was fixed free of charge
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: taras

I thought that BT broadband calls were expensive ? The reason I looked was because someone on ebay was selling 2 BT videophone for £30 but only worked on BT broadband talk
puddy
taras
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
Quote from: taras

I thought that BT broadband calls were expensive ? The reason I looked was because someone on ebay was selling 2 BT videophone for £30 but only worked on BT broadband talk
puddy

Uk calls are the same as normal bt uk call rates, but international ones are way cheaper... I needed at the time the same geographical number but for business use and cheap as possible