cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best non USB phone

Walter
Grafter

Best non USB phone

I have just made my first 'free' voip/sip call from the computer, hooray!
I would like to ask what recommendation you can give for direct phone to router,the convenience of not running the PC to make/receive calls. My router (Voyager 2091) has an USB connection in addition to ethernet and wifi.
Is it possible to plug an usb phone into the router direct (with suitable software in the phone (ie 'smart' phone)) or have I jumped the gun and  expecting too much here?
What is the easiest wifi-portable phone solution?
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Best non USB phone

I would like to ask what recommendation you can give for direct phone to router,the convenience of not running the PC to make/receive calls. My router (Voyager 2091) has an USB connection in addition to ethernet and wifi.

Depends on how much you are prepared to pay...
Options are:-
An ATA such as the LinkSys PAP2 connected to your router by Ethernet, into whcih you plug a normal BT phone ( wired or DECT ) - approx £20 from ebay ( excluding any phone )
An IP Phone connected to your router by Ethernet - anything from £50 upwards - no experience of these i'm afraid
An integrated landline/ip phone like the Siemens gigaset C475IP ( or S685IP) - plugs into your existing landline and your router by Ethernet and allows one DECT phone to be used for landline and Ip calls ( can get  multiple handset versions ) - anything from £75 upwards.
One problem you will have with any of these is that your router only has one Ethernet port ( which I assume is already used by your PC ). You will therefore either need a small network switch to give more Ethernet ports ( yet another thing to be powered ) or maybe an ATA or IP Phone with a passthrough Ethernet facility. BT made an ATA called the Voyager 10V which had this facility, bit of a pain to configure tho - unless you are happy using Telnet and a CLI to configure it.
Is it possible to plug an usb phone into the router direct (with suitable software in the phone (ie 'smart' phone)) or have I jumped the gun and  expecting too much here?

Pretty sure the answer is NO...
What is the easiest wifi-portable phone solution?

Can't help you there i'm afraid, although I looked at that option I went down the Siemens C475IP route.
Puddy is a regular around this forum and I'm sure will be on shortly with some more recommendations.
In the meantime post back with any queries.
itsme
Grafter

Another option is the Flexor 151 which can be purchased from Gradwell. This has an ethernet in and out so will get over the problem of your router only having one port. It will also handle your normal landline so will only need one telephone to handle both VoIP and PSTN calls.
Walter
Grafter

Many thanks ian and itsme for such a detailed response, I'm sure they will interest other B/B phone newcomers and maybe a supplement to the 'help' files.  It gives me the lead to start my appraisal.
I don't have too much trouble with one ethernet port as I am happy using my pc on wifi.
I certainly look forward to any recommendations on a wifi phone option that can be used at home and away.
puddy
Grafter

If you want mobile voip phone you can use one of the following Nokia phones  E65 N82 N95 and N95-8gb be careful which mobile phone provider you get a contract with.  Orange and vodafone take out the settings you need.
If you do buy or already have the above phone from vodafone or orange you will need to de-brand the phone then update its firmware and it puts the setting you need. back in. Or you could get a sim free phone but they are not cheap but look on ebay.  Go for an unlocked  and de-branded phone.
But I am not sure if plusnet have access to wifi networks in cities like Norwich or London but they are a part of the BT group of companies.
If your phone finds an unsecured network (not password protected) your phone can log on and make a call
These Nokia are all wireless so no spare lan port needed
Puddy
Hope this info is useful
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Walter

Your routers usb port is just a other way of connecting your computer to the router and on to the web its works the same way as a lan port but using a usb lead you cannot make voip calls through it
Quote from: Walter
I would like to ask what recommendation you can give for direct phone to router,the convenience of not running the PC to make/receive calls.

The problem is your router needs to have more lan ports you could buy a unmanaged switch 4 +ports or more if you need them. It plugs in to your router then you plug other lan devices in to the unmanaged  (works the same way as a mains extension lead except its for lan plugs) switch but theirs a cheaper option
You could buy a speedtouch 716wl router its adsl 2+ has 4 lan ports wifi and 2 voip ports cost on ebay a round £10 my last one cost me £2.76 plus p&p
You can plug any BT type phone in to the voip ports (adapter needed RJ11-BT)  Plusnet supports this router because they use to sell them
Or
Siemens Gigaset ip dect phone  range are brillant to use.  Dial a number press the call button and release and it makes a landline call or dial a number press call for over 3 seconds and it makes a voip call.
a siemens 450ip dect or 460ip dect cost about £55 plus £ 25 per slave handset and you can make more then one call at a time.  If a landline call comes in you can still make voip call on the free slave handsets but  again you need a free lan port  Siemens have expanded the models of Gigaset range look for ip at the end of the model number
Cheaper still get a linksys PAP2-na adapter from ebay but dont pay over £13 including p&p still needs a lan port
All will let you make voip calls without your computer being on
Hope that helps a bit
puddy
benl

Walter
Grafter

Thanks Puddy & Benl that gives me a good starting point and an idea of the cost. looks like a scour of ebay again!  Certainly a useful list too for other newbies at this b/b phone technology.
Regards
itsme
Grafter

I have and use the Pirelli DP-L10 and it has 2 major problems,
1. Battery life is very poor
2. It can't use hotspots like Openzone, FON or any other that require login via a web page.
This is not a major problem for me as I have a fallback with a HP PDA running Windows CE using applications Devicescape and Fring. Devicescape handle automatic login to hotspots and Fring is a VoIP application.