cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Usage

blogroger

Bandwidth Usage

Hi,
I have been on the trial for a few weeks and having made a couple of test calls to check all was well I have not needed to use it. The application has been minimised to the system tray.
I had an email from Plus that I had exceeded my bandwidth (2GB/m) and started to investigate where it was going.
Installed a utility called NetMeter which showed more than 100MB per day - about 50/50 up and down, yet I was not doing anything more than email and simple surfing. However this utility does not show which app is using the bandwidth.
Finally found NetLimiterMonitor which shows the bandwidth used by every application - and Xlite was the culprit. I killed the app in the tray and the network activity stopped.
Is this behaviour normal or can the software be configured to limit the bandwidth used when it is idle?
5 REPLIES
RichSmol
Grafter

Re: Bandwidth Usage

Interesting, Gradwell enforce a re-registration with your device every 30 seconds as standard. This is just their standard approach for all accounts although i would estimate the data transfer to be pretty near negligible. Have you tried doing the same test with another softphone? i.e. SJ Phones
blogroger

I have just followed your suggestion and uninstalled xlite and set up SJPhone which is certainly not using all the bandwidth that xlite seemed to. In the half hour or so it has been on it has used about 20k up and down. I will leave it for the rest of the day and see how it goes.
I tested it by ringing in from my landline, which was fine, then used the number displayed to test it outbound, it was apparently ringing but the phone didnt ring. When I dialed the home number it rang very quickly, so the problem seems to be the IP address after the @. Is this a configuration issue? If I enter the number into the phone book all is well.
Thank you
RichSmol
Grafter

I think the best bet would be to explain what setup your using then provide a list of the settings your using to connect - their may be an issue with STUN or NAT which is causing some problems but its difficult to tell until I can see what settings you have in (n.b: remember to * personal data). If we cant see anything wrong from looking at the settings theres a number of fancy diagnostics we can try.
cheers
Rich
blogroger

I have just uninstalled SJPhone and reinstalled Xlite. Early days but it seems not to be using large chunks of bandwidth. This time I elected not to take part in their "survey for quality etc" in case that had anything to do with it. Will let you know how I get on.
blogroger

Hi
Seems OK now. Xlite idling in the system tray seems to use 70-80 kb/hr download and 120-140 kb/hr upload bandwidth.
Thank you for your help.