cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad line

Community Veteran

Bad line

I use VoIP in a perhaps unique, or fairly unique way.
I have a line open between me and a friend sometimes for as much as 16 hours a day, certainly rarely less than 5 or 6 hours.
Since transferring to Plusnet I've been getting problems.
I have both a Plusnet VoIP service and Gradwell.
My phone is a Grandstream GXP2000 capable of multi line, multi account operation, and I have run like this (although not with Plusnet) for quite some time (2 years or more).
However with PlusNet my phone seems only (like 98% of time) to be able to login and maintain its login with one account or the other (i.e. Gradwell OR Plusnet, but not both).
And then all this evening the line has been really bad, with masses of dropped packets lasting 3 or 4 minutes at a time, and the call dropped several times.
So, who do I get onto?  Gradwell or Plusnet?
Jason
7 REPLIES
Simon_M
Grafter

Re: Bad line

I would suggest Gradwell, in the 1st instance, as they can presumably see both accounts (Gradwell run Plusnet's VoIP service).
I run multiple VoIP accounts using eyeBeam, with additional ones registered directly by my router, without any obvious problem. Like you, they include both Gradwell & Plusnet accounts.
When did you transfer to Plusnet?
Did you have multiple accounts running before you joined Plusnet? Your post suggest that you did, although presumably it was Gradwell plus someone else, not Plusnet.
Are Gradwell & Plusnet the only ones you run now?
Community Veteran

I have previously used many "free" or trial VoIP providers along side Gradwell, but the Gradwell business system always was best suited to me and the way I worked.  Times have changed in in truth, all except perhaps two features of the Gradwell business phone solution is overkill (international numbers and multiple phones on the same package).
The service is somewhat better today than it was yesterday, the number of drop outs has fallen and the quality of the call has increased, but I've still had 3 drop outs and several periods where I and or the person I was talking to could not hear one or both of us, and other periods where the quality of what we could hear was so bad we could not understand one another.  Several times today I and the person (separately and sometimes simultaneously)  had very loud short bursts (sub 1 second) of white noise.
Today my Gradwell login appears to have never worked, I guess I will give them a call tomorrow and find out whats happening.
Simon_M
Grafter

Well, they have been having some problems over the last few days & it would have affected Gradwell & Plusnet lines the same way. They have cleared up most things now apart from some audio quality issues. See the status page.
Community Veteran

lol, I looked at their status last night, it seemed (then) to be saying that the VoIP problems were past, guess that was't true.
Simon_M
Grafter

I think it was true of that particular problem. Today's audio quality problem was different. I was quite pleased to see the posting though - I was starting to think my handset had a dodgy connection! As I had just swapped out one that definitely did have a duff connection (I could see the frayed wire) I thought they were ganging up on me.
They have had a run of problems over the last few days. While each problem has been different, I don't know if there has been any connection or interaction between them. At least Gradwell are up front about problems & are very quick to get them sorted.
When you think that the internet was never really designed for real-time transmission, it's amazing that all these streaming services we all use these days work as well as they do!
mdean
Grafter

Hi,
I can confirm that Gradwell are experiencing problems at the moment and this is also affect ourselves. I have updated our Service Status to reflect this as well.

Kind regards
Martin  Dean
Community Veteran

"some" is I think an understatement, I've had 5 dropped calls so far today and several instances of not being able to hear the other party, loud bursts of white noise... oh well.