cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Home Hub with Plusnet VOIP working for anyone ?

amacgechan
Dabbler

BT Home Hub with Plusnet VOIP working for anyone ?

I'd really like to try VOIP without having to be tied to my PC.  I have a BT-Home Hub with BT firmware. I have  superuser access on the BT-HH and I would like to set it up behind my Zyxel router, which is my std connection into Plusnet. I believe I have the routing correctly set up between the two, the phone light comes on, but there is no dial tone from a connected phone to the landline port of the BT-HH. Anyone tried this and can share their experiences/working settings ?.
6 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: BT Home Hub with Plusnet VOIP working for anyone ?

Not sure how the BT HH operates but I think you need to plug any voip hardware in to a spare port on your Zyxel Router that way you only need the Zyxel router left on but not the computer.
Does BT have it's own VOIP service and isn't it locked to them?
puddy
amacgechan
Dabbler

The BT-HH is locked down by BT, but there are two ways people can make them more useful. One is to reflash the ROM to a speedtouch ROM, which means you can use it on different ISP's - I'm not doing that.
Or, if you can get superuser login to the BT provided software, you have access to more advanced settings. I have superuser access. I've tried to configure the HH to connect to Plusnet VOIP via on of the Zyxel ethernet ports and I've reached the point where the BT-HH thinks it is connected, but the phones do not !.
puddy
Grafter

I know the EU is trying to stop telephone compaines who lock their equipment.
Had thought they had made it illegal, free trade and all that
Puddy
James
Grafter

I don't believe that they have made it illegal unless I've missed something.
Extremely unlikely that BT will continue sending out locked hardware if legislation has been passed.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
I don't believe that they have made it illegal unless I've missed something.
Extremely unlikely that BT will continue sending out locked hardware if legislation has been passed.

I know the EU said this was a problem with mobile phone compaines/contracts (locking them to their network) and they say its anti-competitive and under European law thats illegal
Puddy
amacgechan
Dabbler

I don't believe there is any legislation infringement here - the firmware for the router is open source and the knowledge for how to gain access to the hidden menu's is easily found with google, which is all I have done here. I think we went a bit off topic - the main thrust is trying to get this router to work as a VOIP client with this Plusnet trial.
I connect this device to my standard zyxel router via Ethernet and although when I do this the phone light says registered, It doesn't work; I cannot get a dial tone from an ordinary phone plugged into the phone port. Anyone else had any luck ?