cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBphone without landline

IndiaBravo
Grafter

BBphone without landline

I'm considering upgrading to fttc, which then raises the possibility of cancelling my landline as I'm not a big home phone user.
I'd then retain the broadbandphone connected via a fritzbox.
Now, the bbphone t&c state 'Customers must retain a PSTN telephone line in order to use the Service.' which seems like it's a bit out of date, surely if I have a high capacity data only line and a sip account then a landline is obsolete? I'm presuming this was written for when you'd need a BB account which would necessarily require a line rental and should now be rewritten.
Of course, I may be misunderstanding the semantic difference between 'PSTN telephone line' and 'line rental' as fttc is still delivered over standard line, but doesn't require line rental if a phone isn't needed.
What I suppose I should be asking is (a) does anyone have the setup I'm considering and (b) can any of the plusnet guys give a definitive answer on retaining BBphone when upgrading BBpro to fttc, please?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: BBphone without landline

Line rental is still required for FTTC ( and FTTP afaik ).
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Thanks misterw you just saved me an expensive mistake! As I say, I rarely use the landline and have adequate bandwidth on my connection, but I saw the plusnet offerings as a possibility of gaining a bit extra speed and get rid of the phoneline I don't need/want for a modest price increase.
I have to say, it's a bit disingenuous of plusnet as the product pages appear to say something different.
First you have broadband and phone (http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/?source=carouselSwitch )
Then you have "just need broadband? We also offer packages without the phone" taking you here http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/broadband/
There's one glaring omission, the first page has "packages require line rental: £13.99 a month or £10.49 (only available online) if you pay a year in advance" prominently displayed, whilst there is no such detail on the broadband only page.
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Further to that, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever..... Fttc + evening and weekend calls is £19.99 (free install) whereas fttc only is also £19.99 plus £50 install.
You'd have to really dislike phones to pay an extra £50 and pass up on free evening & weekend calls on the offchance you might use it occasionally.
I think both those points need someone from plusnet to clarify
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The reason for not taking Plusnet phone is if you have phone via someone else and don't want to move.
This bit at the bottom of the second link explains it
IndiaBravo
Grafter

And thank you too, Oldjim. I suppose that makes sense if you have a really good deal elsewhere - I suppose there's an Ofcom ruling meaning they can't enforce that you have to have a plusnet line in order to get broadband.
Still, it would be clearer if they put that detail in the same place as the previous page, no? I'm often one who rolls his eyes when reading a forum, banging the desk and shouting "why don't you just read!!!"  Smiley but this really caught me out. It really does look like you can get one without the other.

As an aside, and one for the fibre threads maybe, I don't see why line rental is required - I don't want, and fttc doesn't need, the phone equipment in the exchange. I'd pay for the fttc connection and that's all. Even if fibre went up in price slightly, I'd prefer that to get rid of analogue.
Thanks again to both that replied.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Quote from: IndiaBravo
<snip>
I have to say, it's a bit disingenuous of plusnet as the product pages appear to say something different.
First you have broadband and phone (http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/?source=carouselSwitch )
Then you have "just need broadband? We also offer packages without the phone" taking you here http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/broadband/
There's one glaring omission, the first page has "packages require line rental: £13.99 a month or £10.49 (only available online) if you pay a year in advance" prominently displayed, whilst there is no such detail on the broadband only page.

I don't agree that the presentation is disingenuous. The broadband and phone page gives prices for FTTC (with or without anytime calls) in the headline circle but total package prices need to be made clear so the additional line rental charge is given in a strap line below the circles.
The broadband only page gives (the same) prices for FTTC alone in the headline circles. In this case that's the complete package so adding a line rental strap line would be inappropriate.
The same legals 'drop downs' are used on both pages and these state that a BT based line is required. For information Plusnet line rental charges for their phone service are also given.
Further to that, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever..... Fttc + evening and weekend calls is £19.99 (free install) whereas fttc only is also £19.99 plus £50 install.

What that says to me is that FTTC (Extra) costs £19.99 per month and there is a £50 charge for installing the fibre service. However if you take (or already have) Plusnet line rental then they'll discount this by £50 so it becomes free. So it makes sense to me.
David
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Yeah, I think it's just my mindset that I don't distinguish between BB and phone providers, as I've always taken both together. And until oldjim explained such that's why the two options didn't make any sense (both being the same final price if you took plusnet line rental)!
Probably an element of my confusion is because the most adequate comparable option to FTTC is Cable, which can be provided with or without line rental. I've been comparing both recently and that probably trickled in.So when I read "without phone" I read it as now not needing such.
For people such as me (admittedly probably a very small number  Huh ) I'd prefer "Don't need phone?" to read "Already have a phone service?"
Anyway, not a broadband phone topic so we'll move on :-).
itsme
Grafter

Probably an element of my confusion is because the most adequate comparable option to FTTC is Cable, which can be provided with or without line rental. I've been comparing both recently and that probably trickled in.So when I read "without phone" I read it as now not needing such.

Did you read the small print for this? The phone rental is still payable even if you do not take the phone.
In fact just gone on VirginMedia site and they have made this clearer by the option box select phone or not. With phone BB cost £7.25 without phone £17.50 http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html?buspart=bb_solus_2
To my knowledge there is no way to avoid a telephone rental charge
IndiaBravo
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Did you read the small print for this? The phone rental is still payable even if you do not take the phone.
In fact just gone on VirginMedia site and they have made this clearer by the option box select phone or not. With phone BB cost £7.25 without phone £17.50 http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html?buspart=bb_solus_2
To my knowledge there is no way to avoid a telephone rental charge

True, they do increase their BB price to counter the loss of line rental revenue, but not so much to be effectively the same as their line rental
That's £14.50+£13.90 line rental=£28.40 with line vs £22.50 without.
£126.90 with line vs £120 without over 6 months due to special offer for that period
£340.80 with line vs £270 without over 12 months remaining of an 18 month ctt
£467.70 with line vs £390 without over full 18 month
Thats only 77.70 saving without phone line in introductory period or £5.90 pm thereafter. You could look at it that it equates to £5.90 a month for the weekends call package (or £10.60 if you were to compare evenings & weekends which is plus's lowest package) but either of those are a saving you just don't get with BT based offerings if you don't want phone.
a caveat there that line rental is increasing to £14.99 soon so saving would be £6.99pm. (£11.69 e&w)