cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Phone Divert - minor 'mare being had....

DirectFS
Grafter

BB Phone Divert - minor 'mare being had....

Hi All
I've taken a PN BBP phone number, initially to see how the thing runs.  Answer, problems all over.
So, in my wisdom, I figured I would set up the BB Phone in the PN control panel NOT to have voicemail, and to divert to another VOiP number I have on Voipfone. 
I thought it should be easy enough - as VOiP - VOiP is FOC through peering.
Well, anytime I dial my PN number, whether the "extension" from a peered VOiP client, OR dial the Geo number associated to the account, all I'm getting is "Your call cannot be connected"..... I have now tried several different softphones, all the same.  I've rung the geo number from various PSTN phones too - all the same.
Final try just now, I rung my geo number from my mobile - it's coming up on the PC - as though no divert was in place.
I don't really want to have to rely on a softphone divert/call forward - but surely, clunky and basic as the settings page is on PN, the divert should work......
What I guess I need to know, is how the divert number should look - as it is another SIP number I'm diverting to (on VOifone).
I've entered it as **301xxxx, set the divert to 1, and sequential - as there is no instant forward option.
All I really want to achieve is geo number 020 xxxx xxxx is dialled, all the diverts kick in and my mobile rings.  Reason it's being diverted to another VOiP/sip number is cost.  I have credit on voipfone and it would suit me to only pay one lot of credit (tracking it would be a pain).
Have any of the VOiP brains among us any ideas for me to try?
Thanks in advance
Bill.

5 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: BB Phone Divert - minor 'mare being had....

According to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1654.0.html Voipfone is **867
Regarding the divert the softphone will ring in sequential for as long as you have set the delay. Having the softphone off line should be an immediate divert.
Delayed Parallel:
This is the original Centrex style of divert, which works by
calling the SIP phone in parallel with a delayed divert. In
other words, your SIP phone will ring, and after the specified
delay, your divert number will be called, and your SIP phone
will keep ringing.
This is a very useful style of divert if your SIP phone is
always online. Unfortuantely if your SIP phone is not always
online, or unavailable for some other reason (e.g. the line is
busy with another call) then the caller will hear silence until
the delay period has elapsed and the divert number starts
ringing.
Sequential:
This is much more like a 'standard' divert. The SIP phone is
called, and if it either fails (offline, busy, etc) OR is not
answered within the divert delay, the call is cancelled and the
divert number is called instead.
This has the advantage of being much more 'user friendly' in the
case of the SIP phone being offline, but does mean that when
the divert activates, the SIP phone will STOP ringing. If you
have a short divert time, and like to be able to pick up on your
SIP phone even after the divert has started, this option will
not work for you.
Sequential with repeat:
This is a sort of hybrid of the above methods. It is the same
as sequential, but after the SIP phone either times out or
fails, the divert AND the SIP phone again will be called in
parallel.
This does however mean that two seperate calls are placed to the
SIP phone - so if for example you miss the call and pick it up
on your divert number, your SIP phone will register two missed
calls instead of phone.
DirectFS
Grafter

Yes - read all that, and if the softphone is offline, all I get is "unobtainable" now.  The escalating doo,doo,doo noise.
Voipfone have apparently exhausted all their **867 numbers and are offering **301 numbers currently - which according to them peer just the same.  Much, I suppose the way that PN are offering **758 numbers now, rather than the ones they had earlier.
I'm fairly sure it has to be something in the syntax - or not - even diverting it to the geographical number of the Voipfone account brings up an unobtainable.
Is Plusnet's offering really this limited - surely they cannot expect that you'd only want either to have the softphone online or to divert to voicemail?  The email they send out when the softphone goes offline seems to suggest that is the case.  If so, it's about to be the shortest trial in history......with the longest set up time of any Voip account I've ever used......over 30 hours from sign up to activation.......Voipfone on the other hand was a dream - I just didn't want to have to pay a £50 set up charge for a London number.
Very frustrating - even for a "freebie" of sorts.  And I just can't figure why there are any divert settings at all on the account page if they don't work.
Bill.
itsme
Grafter

Tested the divert on my account, disabled voicemail and set the delay to 1 and the divert was immediate to my landline. Noticed that I had to leave it for a few minutes before it worked. Have you tried the full number for the Voipfone account? Get this to work first then you know that the problem is with the peering shortcode.
DirectFS
Grafter

It seems it might have been a time thing after all - although, I still can't get my Voipfone account to dial my PN shortcode.
However, important thing is all the diverts now seem to be working - to be fair it says a change in voicemail may take an hour to take effect - but it was nearer three since I last fiddled, to hearing the divert in actual operation.
Ah well - will keep an eye and see what happens.  Just also noticed that callsure are offering a Voip geo number on 0207 for a £15 set up and £3 a month.
If only it was all easy, huh?
Thanks anyway for input - appreciated.
Bill.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I had some problems/confusion with peering codes. Maybe this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,65779.0.html will help