cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto switching for voip / landline?

kondor101

Auto switching for voip / landline?

I have a voip account.  What I want to do is somehow automatically switch between the landline and voip depending on the time of day.    Also would be nice to switch depending on the type of call but that is less important to me than the time of day.
I have looked around but most of the devices I see are for voip only.
Also, I would prefer a direct device rather than needed the PC on,  either wifi or ethernet.
My cordless DECT phone is going to need replacing very soon (it is just about hanging on to life with scratch sound and a non-working screen).  So I do not mind buying a new phone if that works out cheaper and better option.  It does need to be cordless though as I have to spend some days in bed due to long term illness.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Auto switching for voip / landline?

I've not come across anything that will automatically switch depending on the time of day. The Siemens Gigaset range of IP DECT phones are the closest I've seen, this is about the cheapest one now http://www.broadbandbuyer...Detail.asp?ProductID=8887
They use both landline and voip and allow you switch in various ways :-
Using a dial plan to select which numbers go via voip and which by landline
Having a 'default' selection ( which can be changed from a handset )
By selecting from the handset when making a call ( using a button )
By suffixing the called number
For example, I have mine set to default to voip during the week and then change it to landline during the weekend ( when my landline calls are free ).
My dialplan forces all mobile number to go via voip, since they are cheaper.
Hope that helps
o set the default dial option, you can even specify different defaults for various type of number using a dial plan.
dsw
Grafter

Can I just clarify with you, when somebody calls your landline number, do the Gigaset phones ring and allow you to accept the landline calls?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Yes, they do and the display will tell you whether its a landline or voip call. You can also,if you have multiple handsets, select which handsets will receive which type of calls.