cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asterisk

oughnic

Asterisk

I have set up a link through the Asterisk PBX and had very good results, which in itself is a marked improvement on the live service which was at best problematic.
The Asterisk Server is a Linksys NSLU2.
Wishlist item : an IAX channel as well as SIP to avoid the need for port forwarding on my router (IAX uses a single port).
8 REPLIES
oliverb
Grafter

Re: Asterisk

That is so on my to-do list.
Which firmware do you use?
Ianwild
Grafter

IAX trunking is on our roadmap for later in the year. It will probably cost a bit more though.
Ian
oughnic

Quote from: oliverb
That is so on my to-do list.
Which firmware do you use?

Unslung 6.8 - more details at http://oddsends.org.uk/CategoryView,category,VOIP.aspx
oughnic

Quote from: Ian
IAX trunking is on our roadmap for later in the year. It will probably cost a bit more though.
Ian

That's really good news - the IAX trunking makes installation a lot easier, though SIP with a dedicated IP address is working well.  I have 4 IP addresses with my PlusNet account which is one of the great benefits of PlusNet.  I have one dedicated to inbound SIP.
cynicalone
Dabbler

Quote from: oughnic
That's really good news - the IAX trunking makes installation a lot easier, though SIP with a dedicated IP address is working well.  I have 4 IP addresses with my PlusNet account which is one of the great benefits of PlusNet.  I have one dedicated to inbound SIP.

From my experience of IAX its actually a bigger pain than SIP. With Asterisk, which IAX was designed for after all, to place the system into peer mode you must specify the host at both ends of the trunk. This means that unless you have static IP's, it doesn't work, or at best you get the ability to place calls one way but not the other. While with SIP, as long as NAT traversal gateways are set up, and STUN is configured, then dynamic IP's are not such an issue.
For those that are interested, the main advantage of IAX is  that due to actually setting up a virtual wire between the end points, there are less firewall issues than there are with SIP.  All traffic is tunneled over this virtual wire, and that means that the firewall between the two points keeps a concept of where the traffic should be allowed to go. Where as with SIP the traffic is very adhoc, setup each time a call is made. This is why so much work has to be done to work around NAT firewall's, such as the average DSL router has.
Docrob
Grafter

Just spotted this thread.
I am trying to setup a SME-Server/Asterisk/Sail setup with the beta trial and I have had all sorts of problems. I have setup the Trunk as:

type=peer
fromdomain=sip2.plus.net
host=sip2.plus.net
outboundproxy=nat.plus.net
outboundproxyport=5082
qualify=yes
canreinvite=no
insecure=very
authuser=XXXX
username=XXXX
fromuser=XXXX
secret=XXXXX
disallow=all
allow=alaw
allow=ulaw

and trying to follow the settings on a gradwell post in a different  forum I have a registration string of:

6271749:xxxxxx@sip2.plus.net/02071831749

with the outbound caller id set to the 020... number
With these settings I get the following error:
Dec 24 09:57:15 NOTICE[4277] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for '6271749@sip2.plus.net' timed out, trying again (Attempt #1)
Dec 24 09:57:15 WARNING[4277] chan_sip.c: Probably a DNS error for registration to 6271749@sip2.plus.net, trying REGISTER again (after 20 seconds)
Dec 24 09:57:35 NOTICE[4277] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for '6271749@sip2.plus.net' timed out, trying again (Attempt #2)
Dec 24 09:57:35 WARNING[4277] chan_sip.c: Probably a DNS error for registration to 6271749@sip2.plus.net, trying REGISTER again (after 20 seconds)
Dec 24 09:57:55 NOTICE[4277] chan_sip.c:    -- Registration for '6271749@sip2.plus.net' timed out, trying again (Attempt #3)
Dec 24 09:57:55 WARNING[4277] chan_sip.c: Probably a DNS error for registration to 6271749@sip2.plus.net, trying REGISTER again (after 20 seconds)

Any thoughts?
Rob
Moderator note (BZ) - code: block changed to quote: block as it was causing the thread to be overly wide.
Docrob
Grafter

Removed the references to outboundproxy etc and ioutgoing  works. Still can't receive though.
Rob
Docrob
Grafter

Now fixed added a sibling to receive.
Rob