cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are SIP passwords ignored and User IDs restricted ?

FelixBellaby

Are SIP passwords ignored and User IDs restricted ?

Experimentation suggests that my ADSL line can only register with the plusnet sip server using the user id supplied with the ADSL service.
On the other hand, the password used to register with that user-id appears to be completely ignored.
This means that I can not use a broadband phone service purchased with one plusnet account over an ADSL line purchased with another plusnet account.
Relaxing this restriction would allow people owning multiple plusnet accounts to run more than one plusnet broadband line over a single ADSL line.
I am not too concerned about the implications of this restriction, but I would be interested to know why t has been imposed.

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Are SIP passwords ignored and User IDs restricted ?

Experimentation suggests that my ADSL line can only register with the plusnet sip server using the user id supplied with the ADSL service.

Are you confusing the adsl registration with the BB phone registration ?
You have a seperate userid/password for your BB phone account, it is used to make the connection to the sip server. Your adsl username/password is used to make the basic adsl connection from your router to PlusNet.
This means that I can not use a broadband phone service purchased with one plusnet account over an ADSL line purchased with another plusnet account.

You can use a PlusNet broadband phone service on ANY Adsl connection. I frequently connect a softphone using my PlusNet BB Phone account from my office adsl connection, that's not even on Plusnet. As long as you use the correct sip server details and your sip id and password you can use your BB phone accout from anywhere.

paxy
Grafter

Agree, I have 2 plusnet SIP lines on my business and home account used from various locations.
puddy
Grafter

I have 1 sipgate account 1 plusnet account and 1 orbtalk  account
When I go to spain i find an unprotected wireless internet signal and logon to it with my Nokia e65 mobile to make and recieve free voip calls back to the UK
Hope this helps you?
kind regards
Puddy
FelixBellaby

Thanks for confirmation that it should be possible to log on to PlusNet SIP servers from any IP address.
This is what I expected to be able to do before I actually tried doing it.
Now that I am certain that it is possible, I will set about working out what I was doing incorrectly.
I am still somewhat surprised that I was able to log on to the SIP server over my ADSL line without using a password.
I take it that the password is required when logging on from an external IP address.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I take it that the password is required when logging on from an external IP address.

A userid & password is required to register with the sip server from anywhere, including a Plusnet IP address. Are you sure you were successfully registered ?