Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are PN currently offering a Voip service

kyber
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are PN currently offering a Voip service

I'm currently a PN unlimited fibre user with PN anytime phone services on fttc connection. I use my own Billion router connected to the
Hammel BT Openreach box. (It does not have built in VOIP or ATA services.)
It is useful having a landlines number but generally we would prefer to take and make calls on our smartphones rather than on DECT and hardwired handsets.
We would like to be able to make outgoing calls using a voip/sip service rather than using our mobile phone minutes.
There are messages on the broadband phone product pages that the service is not available to new customers.
Would appreciate some thoughts and clarifications around options and also if there is any saving if we only need the fttc line for the broadband service and not for analogue phone services.
27 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: Are PN currently offering a Voip service

Just use skype.
I do, in fact we all do.
Skype have an Android and Apple app, you call voice and video call.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: kyber

Would appreciate some thoughts and clarifications around options and also if there is any saving if we only need the fttc line for the broadband service and not for analogue phone services.

You might like to check this thread out; http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116036.0.html
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: Devonian
Just use skype.
I do, in fact we all do.

IMO, and I think plenty of people who know anything about other VoIP services would agree, Skype is a rip-off unless you're just calling other Skype users.
e.g. compare Skype prices to those at the link given in reply #2 at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116036.0.html
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

There is a legacy voip service, but I don't know if it is offered to new users or not.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

It's only available to new customers on a business account now.
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: RobPN
Just use skype.
I do, in fact we all do.

IMO, and I think plenty of people who know anything about other VoIP services would agree, Skype is a rip-off unless you're just calling other Skype users.
e.g. compare Skype prices to those at the link given in reply #2 at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116036.0.html

Everybody I know has Skype, it doesn't cost a penny.
All of my family and most of my friends have Skype, the ones that don't have it, are the less tech savy, and when it's mentioned generally they think its a great idea.
Combine Skype with my free calls package with Plusnet, I never pay for any calls.
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

Everybody I know has Skype, it doesn't cost a penny.
All of my family and most of my friends have Skype, the ones that don't have it, are the less tech savy, and when it's mentioned generally they think its a great idea.
Combine Skype with my free calls package with Plusnet, I never pay for any calls.

Fair enough if that works for you :-)
Do PlusNet include free calls to UK mobiles in your Package?
The VoIP service I use presently charges 0.5 Euro-cents per minute for those calls, with no call setup charges.
Devonian
Grafter

I don't need calls to mobiles.. I use Skype.
However I have free minutes on my mobile for any non skype mobile calls
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

However I have free minutes on my mobile for any non skype mobile calls

I prefer to not pay a monthly mobile contract just to get 'included calls', I make do with a PAYG mobile for the very few mobile calls which I can't make via VoIP (i.e. when I'm somewhere with no wi-fi / internet connection available).
Horses for courses I guess.
pwatson
Rising Star

We would like to be able to make outgoing calls using a voip/sip service rather than using our mobile phone minutes.

So back OT and not discussing Skype and mobiles as that isn't what the OP asked...
I use a combination of Sipgate, VoIP.co.UK, SMSlisto and CallWithUs for 5 inbound numbers (one 'in' Washington DC) and outgoing calls.
Primarily I use Sipgate and I ported my old BT land line number to them. I use SMSListo for calls to mobiles.
Personally, like email, I wouldn't use a product provided by an ISP as it makes it more difficult to move away if needed.  Consequently I don't view the lack of a Residential VOIP product from Plusnet as a disadvantage.
At the risk of going OT again - if naked DSL were available I wouldn't be paying for the included calls element of my phone line either!  I haven't got a handset actually plugged into the line Smiley
kyber
Rising Star

Devonian,  not keen on the Skype route and the Skype number does look like a ripoff and breakout rates (to call businesses and people not on Skype) much higher than alternatives. In fact I've bought a low cost number elsewhere that has a forward to Skype option that works well. I'm more interested in true SIP/voip approaches. (Prefer to use Google hangouts to Skype as up to 10 of family can video chat together for free where Skype charge for more than 2).
RobPN. Thanks for table link. Very confused but looks like great deals.

Pwatson. Thanks for service suggestions. I have some reading to do. Like the idea of numbers in various locations.
I see it is possible, as PWatson has done,  to transfer my existing landlines number to a voip number rather than just forwarding.  Might not bother as despite TPS we get high volume of cold calls on number and have to use a Trucall device to filter numbers we know and challenge everyone else. (is there anyway to challenge/filter in the voip world?)
Can I set  things so all smartphones ring in response to incoming call? (maybe wherever they are).
Are there any savings on the PN side from just having BB and whatever line rental is necessary (fttc)?
RobPN
Aspiring Pro

RobPN. Thanks for table link. Very confused but looks like great deals.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, the table at the link provided has the facility to be customised so it just includes your preferred destinations, which then makes things quite a bit easier to see.  Just follow the instructions in the upper part of the page and select your destinations from the scrollable list of country names on the left.
Things to watch out for if choosing one or more accounts from the table are how many 'freedays' are included (which seems to be limited to 0, 90 or 120 days), and whether or not the account charges a setup fee for each call (some do, some don't).
Another useful feature is the ability to set your CLI/CID to any number which you already legally have the use of (e.g. landline, mobile or even a Sipgate or Skype number) simply by confirming the number(s) by means of entering a short code given in a ring-back call to the number in question, and you are not charged for doing this like you are with some companies (e.g. PlusNet charge £5).
pwatson
Rising Star

All phones ringing - yes generally.  As long as your SIP provider allows multiple clients to register then they will all ring.
Truecall functionality - you could use your box with a VOIP ATA but that wouldn't help with filtering to your other phones.  To work across all phones you're into the realms of PBX functionality.  This way your phones are extensions and the SIP link is a trunk.  Depending on the PBX setup you can then setup rules for how to handle specific incoming numbers.  Look at Asterisk - you can run this at home or make use of 'cloud' providers (often referred to as Centrex services).
I use an Atcom IP01 to route incoming calls on my old BT number to a Gigaset DECT base station for home calls and a different UK geographic number to a phone in my home office for work calls.  My US number also rings the office phone.  The box also auto routes calls to mobiles out through the SMSlisto connection.
Phones registered as extensions, and this could include your smart phones, can call each other without going out to the PSTN and are therefore free...
HTH
kyber
Rising Star

@RobPN, hadn't noticed the filters earlier (was looking on too small a screen, now using PC); very helpful
the rates do look very low
so is it just a case of signing up, and then selecting which SIP account to use when making a call to take advantage of whatever the best balance of rate/call quality is?
One of the head scratching elements is figuring out the rates for all the different number types in the UK other than the standard geographic numbers.
I have an Android smartphone and was surprised and delighted to discover that the settings for the built in phone app have options to add SIP accounts. I signed up for a sipgate account and set it up on my smartphone (monitoring for incoming calls) and it worked great. (@Devonian you might be pleased to know that I used some free minutes on Skype to call the SIPGate number from my laptop that was tethered to my mobile at the time, as I was sat in a car park.) Quality very impressive. Please to see worked fine over data services.
Anyone have a view on if I am better using a more specific SIP app rather than the built in phone app on my Android phone? [EDIT: sorry @PWatson, just realised you mentioned SMSListo, which I am about to try.]
I assume the situation is very different with iPhone in that Apple probably don't offer SIP and will not you replace the standard app. But I might be doing them a disservice.Any advice?
@PWatson, brilliant information, thanks. I had forgotten about good old Asterisk. WIll take a look explore that as I could have a lot of fun. I have spare processor boxes around the house. In the meantime, with a new number, probably can survive happily without the TruCall device (brilliant though it has been).
Lots of playing to do. Thanks guys, appreciated.
As I am on Plusnet Unlimited Fibre with FTTC and have my phone services with them, I need to look at what the minimum service I need from them is on the phone side. I guess the line rental is unavoidable as I have to have the line to support the broadband. (Virgin will not service my property, even though their boxes are situated on the opposite side of the road closer than the BT Openreach FTTC cabinet I am connected to). I am very happy with the PN internet service.